Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

Emergency alarm weird problem

I cant find anything like our specific situation online so here goes: All the emergency exits are in tact and working when the bus was last stopped. One of the exits was then opened which would connect it to ground afaik. Since the bus was off nothing happened. I then went and turned the key to the "on" position and for a split second the dash lit up and the alarm sounded then everything went off including the alarm. Thinking that it was the alarm that caused this I went back and closed the exit. The bus still would not turn on, no lights on dash, silence when turning key. After about 20 minutes of googling I went back out and I closed the door behind me to be greeted by the dash lights and familiar beeping. I quickly tried to start the bus but because of the freezing temperatures around here I had no luck. My wife then accidentally bumped the same exit while I was mid cranking and everything went dead again. This time no combination of opening or closing doors or verifying exits seem to work. There is also the stop and check alarm button in the back but that didn't make any difference when pressed.

okidasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
In a slightly similar situation regarding emergency doors I was not able to stop a beeping until I opened and closed the front air door with the ignition in first position, then off. Then I cranked and all was well. I can only attribute it to the bus systems cycling completely.

Maybe this helps...
Old 02-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #3

Update: Tried what sepudo said and still nothing. A tech at a nearby service center suggested removing the negative battery cables for a couple minutes to see if it would help it reset but still nothing.
okidasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
I wonder if the 'sleeping student' interlock got activated somehow. What make/model/year bus? Is there a sticker near the driver explaining how to disable the system?