Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Exporting buses to Mexico?

Hey Everyone,

I wonder if anyone here has any knowledge regarding the market & the process of exporting buses to Mexico?

I was sitting her daydreaming about two of my favorite things: Buses & Mexico travel. Then I called on a handful of buses that looked like good deals and found that they all had CAT motors and AT-545 transmissions.

Then it occured to me.... Now I am not trying to make a fortune but if I could cover expenses and put just a few dollars in my pocket taking buses to Mexico that could be a great pursuit for me.

I have imported cars from Canada to the US. I have imported furniture & decorator items from Mexico and I have done the TIP process for personal vehicles going to Mexico. All required a great deal of patience and tolerance for Guberment stupidity, red tape and general laziness.

If anyone here has had any exposure to the process of taking buses to Mexico I would love to hear from you.

Those that believe too much of what they hear on CNN need not respond. We have traveled Mexico and have no problem driving buses there.

Thanks.

S.

PS: Please do not turn this into some kind of political argument. We can save that for another thread.....

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
If you can pull it off I think its a great idea. I feel like if you befriended someone who works in the right part of the Mexican government it should be pretty easy. Just got to know where the money needs to go... Since you've taken personal vehicles into Mexico in the past you're probably way ahead of the curve. I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you find out... We've talked long and hard about an "extended" Mexican excursion...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I was wondering, since you can take a personal vehicle into Mexico, what would happen if you somehow disposed of your vehicle while across the border? Just to bypass the "intent to sell" legal problems.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
If you can pull it off I think its a great idea. I feel like if you befriended someone who works in the right part of the Mexican government it should be pretty easy. Just got to know where the money needs to go... Since you've taken personal vehicles into Mexico in the past you're probably way ahead of the curve. I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you find out... We've talked long and hard about an "extended" Mexican excursion...
You gotta go!!!

I LOVE traveling in Mexico. It can at times try your patience but the pluses offset that by a huge margin.

Our last trip was about a month in Mexico. Not quite long enough to suit me... Hmmm.... Playa de los Algodones & the Soggy Peso....
Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I was wondering, since you can take a personal vehicle into Mexico, what would happen if you somehow disposed of your vehicle while across the border? Just to bypass the "intent to sell" legal problems.
To take a vehicle into the interior of Mexico requires an import permit. You have to pay a deposit on "Temporary Import Permits" (TIP). When you leave the country , with the vehicle, they process your deposit refund. No leave=No refund.

To take a vehicle in with the intent to sell you have to pay import fees & duty.

I learned a long time ago not to screw with customs. I will try to take full advantage of whatever I can do legally but I love to visit Mexico and I don't want to screw that up. Nor do I want to find myself needing to hire a layer in Mexico. I have spoken to folks that drove from Alberta to Mexico only to be turned away at the border because they had failed to turn in their TIP whan they left Mexico the prior year.

I am a strong proponent of following the rules when it comes to border crossings...
Old 03-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Good to know.

I was in Mexico in '88. I should have paid more attention, but I don't remember signing anything. It makes sense though. How else are they going to pay for that new fence?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
There are already groups from Mexico and Central America that come here to get them. My local dealer and the one I bought my bus from in Covington, TN both told me they have sold 20-30 buses at a time to exporters.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
You gotta go!!!
I've only been twice, Juarez once when my cousin lived in El Paso and then I crossed into Matamoros and ended up in Reynosa another time so I've only seen the "rough" border town parts so far. Heard its waaaay better the further south you go. Honestly it wasn't that bad. As a six foot tall, heavily tattooed gringo with long ass dreads and a beard almost down to my waist I never felt out of place or intimidated... Seemed like as long as you don't act like a rich tourist and treat people like people you'll prob be just fine...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
I've only been twice, Juarez once when my cousin lived in El Paso and then I crossed into Matamoros and ended up in Reynosa another time so I've only seen the "rough" border town parts so far. Heard its waaaay better the further south you go. Honestly it wasn't that bad. As a six foot tall, heavily tattooed gringo with long ass dreads and a beard almost down to my waist I never felt out of place or intimidated... Seemed like as long as you don't act like a rich tourist and treat people like people you'll prob be just fine...
Amen Brother Slaughridge!

I am not quite of your stature (5'8"-140lbs) but I have rarely felt intimidated. While traveling in Mexico I do try to exercise a little bit of sense as to where and when I travel.

You are correct that when you leave the border zone things change significantly.

I would suggest that you venture further South when you have the opportunity. Mexico is a wonderful country with much to see and experience and wonderful people.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
Bus Geek

This subject has been on my mind again lately.

Has anyone here had any direct contact with an exporter? Perhaps share some contact info?

I would sure like to talk to someone who knows the process.

Thanks Everyone.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
One of the guys that i converted part of a bus for (flxible with 8v71) took his bus to mexico, and on his return they drilled several holes through the skin because they were looking for drugs. When he got back to salem he had a holy bus... so we just put silicone in the holes.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I'd expect a pretty stringent search going through customs with a bus. They sure did a thourough search of my car.

There was a time when people said I had an honest looking face. Apparently no more.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
chev49, who drilled the holes? Mexican or American customs? At which border crossing did this happen?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
The guy buying my seats is from Honduras. He's buying a bus out of New York or New Jersey, driving to Indiana to get my seats, and heading south back to Honduras. I don't know if he will be driving all the way or if he will be shipping the bus.

If you like I can get you two in touch with each other....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I am a strong proponent of following the rules when it comes to border crossings...

meh. Mexican Prison isn't that bad.

What multiples are you looking to get for these:

5x? $2K bus and sell for $10K?
10x? Same $2k bus sells for $20K?

Currency conversion eats a bit. I love Mexico, such a shame what they did to the place. Used to live in Tucson and we'd shoot down all the time w/ our Fj40's.

I'll go. I'm a good shot.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote