Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #1

Finding a location to work on a Skoolie

Hello everyone!

New to the Skoolie community but I have been reading a bunch on the forums already trying to understand everything needed into a flip and I've learned so much already!

A question I had in mine to help me get further with the planning process is that I am curious to find out where I should store my bus while I'll be working on it. I live in an apartment complex currently and I don't really have any land or storage space that I could work on it as of now.

More or less wanted to see what you guys have done. I know almost all the RV storage places in Orange County don't alllow you to do any major construction on vehicles and what not. Maybe find someone renting out a lot on Craigslist? Move out to the boonies? Just need some direction as where I should look. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks y'all!

Jasonbrown177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbrown177 View Post
Hello everyone!

New to the Skoolie community but I have been reading a bunch on the forums already trying to understand everything needed into a flip and I've learned so much already! [emoji144]

A question I had in mine to help me get further with the planning process is that I am curious to find out where I should store my bus while I'll be working on it. I live in an apartment complex currently and I don't really have any land or storage space that I could work on it as of now.

More or less wanted to see what you guys have done. I know almost all the RV storage places in Orange County don't alllow you to do any major construction on vehicles and what not. Maybe find someone renting out a lot on Craigslist? Move out to the boonies? Just need some direction as where I should look. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks y'all!
Well...you are kinda close to slab city...because of that art collective fire they really ain't too keen on this kinda DIY project huh?...

Try industrial areas...there's gotta be some vacant lots...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're willing to go to an industrial area you may actually be able to find a paying or free place to park for providing a bit of security just by being there.

I don't know what size bus you're talking about yet, but I'm living proof that you can live in a bus and work on it at the same time. Front half, back half. Yeah you might get a little insulation in your everything but it all works out. One day you finally stop finding rivets from your demolition phase too.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Hello Jason,

Welcome to the wonderful world that is the skoolie life.

What part of Orange County are you in?

I'm sort of in the same situation that you are, except that I am attempting to live on the bus at the same time.

Right now I have it parked at the end of a long private driveway in an apartment complex that is owned by a friend of mine.

You wouldn't believe how much flak I have been getting from people by being here. Even though I have done an excellent job of keeping to myself and trying to be a positive influence in the small apartment complex that I am now a part of, people are bitching left and right.

I will probably have to move soon. I had a place lined up in Fallbrook but, evidently, the tenant on that property doesn't want me there either.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why. I'm a normal enough guy, I'm 42 and white and I don't do drugs or drink. I just can't figure it out.

I'm in Costa Mesa, btw.

Maybe we could brainstorm some ideas together and find a solution that would work for everyone.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:06 AM   #5

Hey We Live in Irvine

My Fiancee and I also are converting in our bus and living in it

Contact us @ 323-239-7885
OntheroadCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #6
Skoolie

I'm in Riverside County, CA. Let me know what you figure out.

This thread might help you....

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/wh...tml#post298659
Old 11-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Having similar issues finding a place in my area that will allow one to work on the vehicle and that is reasonably priced. There are some indoor contractor areas for rent but they cost as much as housing rentals.

I considered teaming up with someone doing something similar and split the rental cost but it appears there is not much interest here.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #8

I’m in the same situation. Had a place lined up but now it’s looking like it’s not going to work out. If anyone in the Seattle area has any tips/leads it would be much appreciated
tfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Tfred,

I know of a number of lots (1/4-1/3acre) with full hookups in the Granite area for $300-350a month.

They are pretty tolerant of bus work and camper living.

When they come available you can find them on CL.

There are a number of folks that have lots there. One that I know is Mr. Grafstra 425 334 9512
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Thank you for the info PNW_Steve!
tfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
There is also a couple dozen lots on Zillow up in Lancaster 5k 10k 15 k
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #12
Skoolie

This place will allow you to work on your skoolie here.

https://www.instagram.com/coloradocustomcoachworks/
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

Also looking in OC!

OC Conversion friends! I, too, am looking for a location to complete my conversion. I am wondering if we might be able to develop a co-op type of community and work together? I also learned that San Diego has lifted all ordinances against street/mobile living. Perhaps there is a place down there, where we might be able to carpool back to the OC and relieve some of our collective stress? We are hoping to live in it while we work, too, but cannot get to that point because we still need to remove the seats. Anyone interested in seeing if their in strength in our numbers?
immatriplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #14

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 Cat Diesel 210hp
Its all about location

I am having a thought of renting a space in a trailer park. Not sure if its possible, but if it is, it gives you a workspace, and a place to sleep. Just a thought, what do you all think? What about doing some of the work in rest and picnic areas along the highway? Or go camping and work at the camp sites?
RobertL9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Me and my wife and little baby boy are staying out in Santa Cruz.. after so much research we brought it up to our landlords and it was all gravy until I started clearing up space and bought tickets to Oregon to pick it up and drive it back.. now they’re like “hell no” and screwed out of the plane tickets.. if anyone has any leads would be awesome to link up! We have the means to rent a space to do so but not anyone willing to help us out with a space
BusDreamerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
seems to quite a few looking

So if ten of you could afford $350 a month.... then get together an rent industrial space.... fenced/walled perimeter. A collective. being california... I would involve lawyer for a contract amongst the group... areas near airports... grungy industrial areas.... If you did it right.... as one leaves the group, another could come in and take the place. You might find fat cat with expensive bus that would like more secure parking. if there are one or two there living - or more-- and a gate, Keep prying eyes and nosey neighbors out. Tall enough fence/wall/building will keep code enforcement at bay also.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:21 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
My bus's home is on the side of a commercial street. According to the sheriff's office, I can basically do whatever there and not be bothered. And thus far I haven't, gotten plenty of stares tho. Until I bought a Predator generator I had no power at the bus and I would be reluctant to start doing major mechanical work there as well, simply because I don't want to get squashed.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:50 AM   #18

Having issue with city in Warren Michigan and trying to find anywhere that will let us store and work on conversion. City gave me 5 days to move and so far no Rv parks, businesses will allow. If cant find will have to donate or shred. If any suggestion for a quick store please help!!!!!!!!
Midnightphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightphoenix View Post
Having issue with city in Warren Michigan and trying to find anywhere that will let us store and work on conversion. City gave me 5 days to move and so far no Rv parks, businesses will allow. If cant find will have to donate or shred. If any suggestion for a quick store please help!!!!!!!!

You're right by the lake, so I'd look on Craigslist for an RV/Boat storage yard. That's what we did when we lived near Chicago. It was a 45min drive for us, but we found a guy that had 10 acres of property and was doing RV/Boat storage for extra income. We only paid $35/mo. and he let us build out our rig on his property. We had also found another one for $65/mo that was the same kinda deal.
Chain-store type storage places (Public Storage, etc.) may or may not let you work on your rig, I've heard stories both ways. There's probably a place out there for ya, no reason to give up on your dream without making a few phone calls first!
Old 01-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #20

Thank you for the information, will definitely give a try.
Midnightphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote