Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Fire in the stove burning out overnight.

I have a small woodstove in my bus, and I camp periodically through the winter (about one night a week.) Since my stove is so small, I can't load too much wood into it or it will burn so hot it glows red and I don't want that. When I put a large log in and close the dampers before I go to bed, often it burns out and I will wake up the next morning cold. Anyone know any home-concoctions that will burn for several hours? I'm not interested in propane furnaces and I camp far from electrical hookups. I have heard of a guy soaking rolls of toilet paper in either lamp oil or rubbing alcohol then lighting it. I've heard that it will emit a decent flame for several hours before it burns out. Anyone heard of such a thing?

-Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Fire in the stove burning out overnight.

One word--coal. Think anthracite, but you got to have a stove that can handle it.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

maybe you need those bacon greased logs....mmmm bacon! maybe a duraflame log with a real log?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

I think anthracite is like the extremely "hard" coal. Before the middle of the last century they didn't know what to do with it cause' they couldn't find a way to light it. Am I right about this? I think I remember reading about it at one time. I also remember that once it was lit they couldn't figure out how to get it to go out!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Charcoal should burn longer than wood. My little stove (6" diameter by 12" high) will burn for about 4-5 hours on a full load of charcoal, puts out plenty of heat. It might be worth it to experiment with a bag of charcoal.

HTH
Sean
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

Thermal mass and efficient fuel. You have a small stove, so increase it's thermal mass. Chunks of iron/steel, a pot full of rocks, anything AND EVERYTHING you add will benefit later both on the stove and near it.....heat the extra mass and inside of the bus to almost uncomfortable temps with cheap/inefficient fuel (wood etc), then gradually add fuel with more btu's per pound, but slower burn rate (charcoal, coal, VERY dense hardwood), Learn when to transition to this fuel based on bed-time...choke the stove down to slow the burn rate. The thermal mass will take over initially, allowing the fuel to burn later into the night and still hopefully keep things somewhat comfortable. Trouble is, you get "used " to the hotter temps pre-bed time, so later, when it is still warm, you may "sense" that it is cooler. If this doesn't work, prob time for either insulation or a bigger stove!!
Oh, and get a CO meter/alarm.........or you'll stay warm and cozy for a looooooooong time.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Centralia is or used to be a town in Pennsylvania that sat in the middle of their "anthracite" mining district. Pretty much the whole town burned down or was evacuated due to an anthracite coal seam fire. I saw some program on the boobtube at one time. Search it and boy does it look creepy what with smoke coming out of the old sidewalk seams all through town.
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote