Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: Chevy 3500 Short Bus 6.5L Diesel
First Bus Trip in our Shorty...

We plan to go from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Florida during the Christmas holidays and do it in our bus for our first trip. The bus will still be yellow and we will be going through, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Is there any weird bus laws that I should be aware of going through these states like: No yellow bus, seat belts, parking, etc.?

abremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by abremer View Post
We plan to go from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Florida during the Christmas holidays and do it in our bus for our first trip. The bus will still be yellow and we will be going through, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Is there any weird bus laws that I should be aware of going through these states like: No yellow bus, seat belts, parking, etc.?
From what I've gathered reading the forums, school bus yellow is against the law more places than its legal, assuming it's legal anywhere. In other words, a 'weird bus law' would be one where yellow was allowed ;)

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I would have no worries what so ever making that trip, buses are invisible on the road.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
We just finished our first trip in our shortie. Let's see, we went through New Jersey, PA, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Our bus is still yellow, though we've painted the roof and 1' down from the roof with white roof paint, including blanking out and painting over the lights. The rest of the body is littered with black primer from prepping to paint (which we couldn't finish in time), and the school district is painted over black. We drove 5-10 mph below the speed limits to both improve fuel economy and lower our stress levels (let everyone just go by us rather than weave in and out of traffic). You'd be far-pressed to think we're an active school bus at that rate. Not a single issue, though we were passed by an active school bus who gave us a thumbs up!

Chris

Tags
first trip