Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 03:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Chevy P60
Engine: 8.2L diesel
Rated Cap: Twenty-one
First time out approaching

So I'm just getting ready to get on the road taking my new bus home. To be honest I'm a little intimidated by the prospect. I know I have a fairly solid bus. (She's a 1990 Chevy Transit bus. With an 8.2L Detroit Diesel. 180k on the odometer)
What should I be preparing myself for as I get ready for a nearly 500 mile trip back to North Carolina?

Priest093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
welcome.
i also have an 8.2 and if taken care will run like an old sewing machine.
mine runs good but is only 175 hp with the 545 transmission and 6.5 rear gears so we only do 49 mph.
where are you driving it from and taking it to?
when feasible i have a section of broom stick cut to length with a section of 550 cord that goes from it to my wrist that i use for cruise control because my throttle retun spring will wear your leg out.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:09 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest093 View Post
So I'm just getting ready to get on the road taking my new bus home. To be honest I'm a little intimidated by the prospect. I know I have a fairly solid bus. (She's a 1990 Chevy Transit bus. With an 8.2L Detroit Diesel. 180k on the odometer)
What should I be preparing myself for as I get ready for a nearly 500 mile trip back to North Carolina?

With a proper Detroit, the main thing is to remember not to "lug" the engine--it wants to be driven like you stole it. But don't worry about your speed, as you're still likely to be the slowest on the road.

Pedal to the metal all the way home, and assuming that it's mechanically solid, you shouldn't have too many issues.

Check your fluids when you stop, and make sure that they're topped off--depending on where you're picking it up from, it may not be used to those carolina hills, so it's better to downshift and keep the revs up than it is to try to take a hill in 3-4 gear.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote