Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
Flat tow/ Neutral tow switch

I have a 2006 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4 automatic. I was looking into what is needed to be done to flat tow this truck behind my RV, I had been told that the driveshaft would need removed or a disconnect installed. Turns out that there is another option, there is a hack that will put your transfer case in a neutral "safe to tow" condition that involves nothing more than installing an indicator light and reprogramming the ECU to recognize Neutral tow. Ford at one time manufactured a kit for this purpose but it is no longer manufactured. the kit needed for my ranger is part# 3L2Z-7H332-AA. I managed to find what I believe is the last one in a warehouse in Charlotte and $267 later it's mine. Anyway, the reason for my post is to let anyone that wants to email or message me and I will send you a pdf of all the instructions that came with the kit, page 7 will be the reprogramming instructions and the light is just an LED that plugs into an unused green plug on the steering column the instructions also show where you could plug directly into the 4x4 selector switch. rmillermann@yahoo.com

RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote