Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Is the bus far enough along in the build for you? Any bathroom, toilet etc?

It seems that it should suit you, and being that you do not plan a lot of driving with it I would not be to concerned about the engine as long as it runs decent.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Is the bus far enough along in the build for you? Any bathroom, toilet etc?

It seems that it should suit you, and being that you do not plan a lot of driving with it I would not be to concerned about the engine as long as it runs decent.
Don't really have specifics as far as the completion of the build, just pics. However, the engine is a concern, as I have severe asthma. Engine exhaust is not good for asthma, but especially diesel exhaust, and especially a non emission diesel. One reason I'm considering going propane. Not because I plan to idle a lot, but because I simply can't take chances.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Oh yea old diesels and asthma are not a good mix. Think you would get enough fumes while driving? Seems while driving it should be fine, as long as you do not get out with the engine running. Parked of course...

Of course I am saying so without having asthma so really do not how sensitive you are, a judgement you have to make.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #24
Traveling

Well, something most don't understand about asthma is that more severe asthmatics need a closed, controlled, air-conditioned environment. I am one of those unlucky ones. For example, I had to get rid of a perfectly good '07 Taurus because it had no reirculation damper.

Simply being in traffic with exhaust fumes was a slight problem, even with the windows closed. If someone was smoking a cigarette nearby, forget it - went right in the car. I can't be within 200 feet of cigarette smoke or the fumes, and a smoker is radioactive to me for about 10-15 minutes after their cigarette is gone.

So a diesel, especially an 8.2 diesel, with reeking fuel-pincher exhaust, could absolutely be deadly to me. School bus windows are anything but air/watertight. Granted, I plan to stay parked, but the engine does need to be fired occasionally to keep it in reasonable condition. Which is why I'm considering going propane. But I still need to figure a way to get a conversion done, or buy one already done, as I get out of breath just washing my car.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Yes, I live in VA currently. The buses I've seen for sale in Richmond are all 2008-up MaxxFarce DTs, which I would not touch with a ten-foot pole. Complicating things are my having severe asthma (and possibly COPD), which means I either have to find a bus already converted, or make arrangements with someone to do the lion's share of the work to convert a blank canvas. A tricky proposal, to be sure.

I would certainly be sure to check such crucial items as tires, steering and suspension, as well as brakes before trying to drive this thing home. but I'm not sure I'm even going to look at it, until my financial situation improves at least slightly. Currently on unemployment from the pandemic and since Congress can't seem to do what's right for the people, I am scraping by on $158 a week with $650 a month in bills.

There's a salvage yard called M&M (?) in Ruckersville that has lots of buses for sale. Think they still had some pre emissions era buses.

They post all their inventory in this gigantic google spreadsheet with high res photos of everything. Pretty impressive for a dealer.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #26
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
There's a salvage yard called M&M (?) in Ruckersville that has lots of buses for sale. Think they still had some pre emissions era buses.

They post all their inventory in this gigantic google spreadsheet with high res photos of everything. Pretty impressive for a dealer.
Correct, and I have passed this along to several newbies as a source. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget available to start and see through a purchase and build-out, as I am waiting for a car accident claim to settle to facilitate it. I have a small savings nest egg that could buy a cheap partial conversion, but I am limited in what I can do for now.