Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Found a bus... Thoughts?

1990 GMC, reman 8.2 Detroit Diesel (everyone's FAVORITE engine LOL), manual, air brakes. Partial conversion with two rooftop A/Cs, no insulation. $3500. Some rust underneath but not bad for the age (northern state). 8-10 hr drive to see, another 8-10 to get it home... Seller claims 68 hughway speed.

Wanted to wait until I could go with something a bit more modern, but circumstances are sort of forcing my hand and I think it might be a good start for the price. Generator available for a bit more.Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_377450743652438.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	48882

Name:	received_989350544866458.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	48883

Name:	received_743232759865321.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	48884

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
If the seller has documentation on the engine rebuild, and the rust isn't through any of the floor or suspension mounting points, it MIGHT be a good buy.

Be extremely thorough in the undercarriage inspection. It is hard to get a real feel for the totality of the rust without looking at the bare metal floor inside.
I'd use a screwdriver lying under it poking at the corners or anywhere there is lots of flakiness to get a picture in my mind on exactly how extensive any rust might be.

If the screwdriver test fails, (screwdriver penetrates the metal you're poking), in more than one small area, I'd pass on this bus.

If you are simply looking to get something together quickly and don't plan on keeping it long, maybe it's good for you?

Anyhoo, good luck and post interior pics if you have any...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
Traveling

Have pic of rocker covers with reman tag dated 1996...

Name:	received_350229342778824.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	48886

I have one reasonably decent interior pic... Needs insulation but it's off to a decent start for the price...

Name:	messaging.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	48885
Old 09-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Traveling

Delete. Double post. POS phone.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Hopefully it doesn't have the Lucas-Girling brake system.

Also, 8.2 Detroit doing 68 mph.....hmmmmmmmmm
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

24 years since it was reman' d? Guess it really doesn't meet the idea of being "freshly rebuilt"...

Since you're in VA it might not be too bad in winter without any added insulation but if you plan on any northern trips in wintertime, you'll quickly be wishing for more insulation!

Another costly consideration: Are all of the tires good? What are their date codes if you know?
Old 09-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Traveling

Air brakes, I've seen the yellow diamond on the dash and the air chambers underneath. No one said the engine was a fresh rebuild, but 6 years into its tenure, it's not likely to have oodles of miles. Seller has alluded to the tachometer being dead, however, which concerns me with the admission of 68 mph. I think tires are a given...
Old 09-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Sounds like you've sold yourself on it.
Good luck, and post more pics when you get it...
Old 09-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Don't know about the bus, but it's good to see you back, Cheese.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Sounds like you've sold yourself on it.
Good luck, and post more pics when you get it...
Not so much sold myself on it, but for certain reasons, it may be my best move for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Don't know about the bus, but it's good to see you back, Cheese.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Tires do look like they are at the end of life, at least from the pics. No heavy rust at least that is a good sign. I would not mess with taking out the ceiling to"insulate". Try it as it is then if more is needed add foam board to the existing ceiling. Deleting/covering windows would be an easyer and more effective way to gain more insulation at least as a start.

What state is the bus in? Maybe someone can take a lot at it for you.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Tires do look like they are at the end of life, at least from the pics. No heavy rust at least that is a good sign. I would not mess with taking out the ceiling to"insulate". Try it as it is then if more is needed add foam board to the existing ceiling. Deleting/covering windows would be an easyer and more effective way to gain more insulation at least as a start.

What state is the bus in? Maybe someone can take a lot at it for you.
It's in OH, near Marietta. Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the 8.2, but the reman thing makes it a bit easier to swallow. I'm not likely to be driving or idling much anyway, more of a 'park it and live there' kind of plan.

I hope to be settling an insurance claim from a car accident soon, which will hopefully give me a nice budget to finish this thing out. I was hoping to wait until then and have a bit more of a budget to buy something in the early to late-90s, possibly a flat-nose, but a few circumstances are sort of forcing my hand, and I think $10k could do a lot with this thing.

The $3500 purchase price will get me out of the mold-infested RV I currently reside in and into something I could sleep in with little to no work. The question is, does anyone think I can do better than a partial conversion like this for $3500? Some of us pay more than that for a bus without any work done to it... Price includes two rooftop A/C units.

Granted, I'm not crazy about the mechanical package (would prefer a 366/427 gasser, and I do have access to a low-mile 454 if push comes to shove), but an 8.2 certainly isn't the worst engine out there. Better than a MaxxiPad DT, anyway. It's possible waiting would put me onto a better bus, but how much more will I pay for something that still has seats? Remember, I have respiratory issues and a lot of this work I can't really do myself. I see a collaborative parlay of epic proportions with Transcendence in my future if I get a bus...

And my plans would include reskinning part of the body and upgrading windows... But with the respiratory issues I have, any insulation will have to be chosen with anti-moisture in mind.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #13
Bus Geek

The interior actually looks nice despite not being insulated, totally livable. $3500 for something that runs and you can live in right away seems like a pretty good deal.

It's too bad they didn't at least insulate the floor, though. You'd eventually have to rip up the flooring they put in, I suppose.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

A good bit west of where I am heading, as we are heading to New Hampshire. For the reasons you state this could be a good one for you. Hope it works out.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
The interior actually looks nice despite not being insulated, totally livable. $3500 for something that runs and you can live in right away seems like a pretty good deal.

It's too bad they didn't at least insulate the floor, though. You'd eventually have to rip up the flooring they put in, I suppose.

No fun to do it but spray foam under the floor. I have done it.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
No fun to do it but spray foam under the floor. I have done it.
Ha, I've spent enough time under my bus that I would never in a million years contemplate doing that.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #17
Traveling

Not trying to sell myself on this bus, or talk myself out of it...

Does anyone see reasons to buy it?

Does anyone see reasons NOT to buy it?
Old 09-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
It's in OH, near Marietta. Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the 8.2, but the reman thing makes it a bit easier to swallow. I'm not likely to be driving or idling much anyway, more of a 'park it and live there' kind of plan.

I hope to be settling an insurance claim from a car accident soon, which will hopefully give me a nice budget to finish this thing out. I was hoping to wait until then and have a bit more of a budget to buy something in the early to late-90s, possibly a flat-nose, but a few circumstances are sort of forcing my hand, and I think $10k could do a lot with this thing.

The $3500 purchase price will get me out of the mold-infested RV I currently reside in and into something I could sleep in with little to no work. The question is, does anyone think I can do better than a partial conversion like this for $3500? Some of us pay more than that for a bus without any work done to it... Price includes two rooftop A/C units.

Granted, I'm not crazy about the mechanical package (would prefer a 366/427 gasser, and I do have access to a low-mile 454 if push comes to shove), but an 8.2 certainly isn't the worst engine out there. Better than a MaxxiPad DT, anyway. It's possible waiting would put me onto a better bus, but how much more will I pay for something that still has seats? Remember, I have respiratory issues and a lot of this work I can't really do myself. I see a collaborative parlay of epic proportions with Transcendence in my future if I get a bus...

And my plans would include reskinning part of the body and upgrading windows... But with the respiratory issues I have, any insulation will have to be chosen with anti-moisture in mind.
This just me, but I think I heard in posts that you live in VA. There are really good busses for sale right now in Richmond and some more in Moyock NC which is pretty close. They are in your pricerange and could result in what you are actually looking for. I saw two flat noses on Marketplace just this week.
JodyandRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hey there Cheese
Sorry to hear of the urgency in your situation but yes getting out of a mold infested trap very soon would definitely be in your best interest. Try not to let that urgency cloud your good judgement. Things to consider on that one, can those tires even make that 10 hour drive home or will that be a big on the road expense?
Used A/C units might be expensive and hard to find in Texas and Florida but in the north they are easy to find and not much money, sometimes even free. do they work? What is there for heat source?
Good luck with your search and stay well.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #20
Traveling

Yes, I live in VA currently. The buses I've seen for sale in Richmond are all 2008-up MaxxFarce DTs, which I would not touch with a ten-foot pole. Complicating things are my having severe asthma (and possibly COPD), which means I either have to find a bus already converted, or make arrangements with someone to do the lion's share of the work to convert a blank canvas. A tricky proposal, to be sure.

I would certainly be sure to check such crucial items as tires, steering and suspension, as well as brakes before trying to drive this thing home. but I'm not sure I'm even going to look at it, until my financial situation improves at least slightly. Currently on unemployment from the pandemic and since Congress can't seem to do what's right for the people, I am scraping by on $158 a week with $650 a month in bills.