Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 2002 Bluebird All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins W/ Allison 3060
Front Shock Mount Question

Hey everyone! I am driving our school bus home and hit a few large bumps on the interstate last night. I now have a front driver side shock mount issue I was hoping to get your input on. The bolt and nut are on super tight still (I laid under the bus and gave it my all to tighten it, nothing) It almost seems as though a bushing went out in the casing that is attached to the leaf springs. Also, when I was under the bus with a crescent wrench I could wiggle the bolt up and down, almost like the shock had no force behind it. I assume the shock is fully extended. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171026_143909.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	16931

2002 Bluebird All American, 84 Pass

Chris

Chris & G Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Shocks should move a little bit quite easily. The springs carry the weight; the shock absorber is just a dampener to make spring oscillation settle out quickly. If the shock is fully extended when the vehicle sits at rest then it's too short; it should have length to spare so that the spring can droop down some.

The main thing I know about shocks is to bring a big impact wrench. Either that'll break the nut loose or it'll shear the bolt off clean, and then you can go about replacing the shock and maybe the hardware too. Hand tools can work too but you'll need something much longer than a crescent wrench. A 24 inch breaker bar would be a good place to start. Rust penetrating oil also helps.

What sort of issue are you having? An annoying rattle? A major driveability problem? I'd think a severe bump on the interstate, ie at speed, should be more likely to affect something like a king pin or a tie rod end or even damage a wheel rather than a shock mount.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 2002 Bluebird All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins W/ Allison 3060
Thanks for the reply.

The problem I am having is the bolt is loose and squeaking. If you look closely at the picture, you will notice a faint silver mark just below the leaf spring and above the bold. That is where the bolt is rubbing against the housing. When I have the wrench on the head of the bolt I am move it up and down and left to right, it is that loose. I wanted to know if I would be doing any damage by continuing to drive the bus to the shop I had planned on stopping at 150 miles away.
Chris & G Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Sounds like it was about a 3 hour drive, and probably you've already finished it. If not: yeah, I'd just go for it. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing that's going to be made significantly worse in just a few hours of operation.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & G Travels View Post
I wanted to know if I would be doing any damage by continuing to drive the bus to the shop I had planned on stopping at 150 miles away.
It looks like the bushing disintegrated and that's why the bolt appears loose. Luckily, it IS a bolt and not a stud (like me), so even if you need new one, much simpler job & less outlay.

It will ride much nicer when fixed, no more hammering.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
What Rusty said. Most likely the bushing has deteriorated.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote