Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Fueling Locations?

This may seem like a dumb question, but where do I get diesel for my skoolie? I'm heading from Florida to Vermont, and don't want to have to do any searching for trucker-style fuel stops. How do the big boys find their fuel?

suzy_F_homemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Almost There

Diesel is sold -almost- anywhere gasoline is. Not to mention you will see truckstops off the interstate all along the way.

The most trouble ive ever had finding diesel is having to drive down the street to a differnt gas station.

I have a rule of thumb, never let the gas gauge get below 1/4th a tank, you'll find fuel before that runs out.

Just dont put gasoline in your diesel!
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Diesel fuel is everywhere

The first poster gave some good advice but there is more.. I suggest adding some diesel fuel supplement and cetane booster. There are many makers of these additives but I prefer Power Service or Lucas. Always try to buy fuel at the big boy places, always carry at least 2 fuel filters. When ya need a filter on the roadway the prices will scare ya. I have paid $28.50 for a $10 filter. Don't forget to have a filter wrench for your size filter. Check everything yourself. If ya can drive a diesel, do your own checks and walk around. Look at everything carefully as the trip will tell ya lots about the engine and trans. Look for leaks. If ya can park away from others, and lock the fuel cap if possible. The number one enemy of diesel fuel is....... water.
After adding Power Service, my engine made more power and better fuel milage. Just for grins record all oil and fuel as used and notice any change.
A hub meter is a great tool for long trips. Diesel fuel is every place, get in line. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

at some stations, like the new BP/truck stop near my house, they have a couple of Diesel pumps out in the car lanes, and a dedicated truck diesel area/lanes.

The truck lanes have *much* faster pumps (and you can fill tanks on both sides with one CC setup, as there is a slave pump on the opposite side). The nozzles themselves are bigger diameter, and I don't think they fit cars and small pickups, but they fit my farm truck (2.5" screw off cap on the tank).
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
I guess you know your mileage and so can figure about how often you'll have to stop for fuel -

These both have spacious and fast fuel islands and also lots of room to stop for a snooze as you go ... repair facilities with mecchanics that won't be startled by your rig if you need that.
Flying J truck stop locator
http://www.flyingj.com/highway/locations/us-map.html
Pilot Truck Stop locator
http://www.pilotcorp.com/Locations/Find_Locations/

Both have many locations up the east coast.
Make a list of planned fuel stops before you leave and also print the entire list of both in case your mileage estimates don't wok out quite the way you figgerd or something important breaks ...

Tom
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Both have many locations up the east coast.
Make a list of planned fuel stops before you leave and also print the entire list of both in case your mileage estimates don't wok out quite the way you figgerd or something important breaks ...

Tom
wow thats way too much planning for me. heh, I hit the road and figure it out as I go

actually ive been living on the road in one form or another for a yearand a half now.
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Quote:
wow thats way too much planning for me.
Me too actually - but it sounded like this is what OP was asking.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all of the replies! This is my first big trip with the bus, and we're moving, so I want it to go as smoothly as possible.

Here's a link that I found:
http://www.dieselboss.com/truckstops.asp
suzy_F_homemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

i actually prefer the auto-diesel pumps verses the big truck diesel pumps simply because you can pre-pay at the pump with your credit card at almost all auto-diesel pumps. I have seen very few big truck lanes that let you pay at the pump.

another thing that is annoying about the big truck lanes is that the bus' tank is on teh wrong side. Someone mentioned the slave or satelite pump in an earlier post. The satelite pump is the one on the passenger side of your vehicle. To use that pump, you first have to take the main pump off of it's cradle, turn the handle, then set the nozzle on the ground while you operate the satelite.....then you have to rememver to hang up both nozzles before you go back in to get your money......you have to go in twice usually when you're in a big truck lane. Once to give the cashier either your credit card or lots of $$$, then you have to return to the bus, pump your fuel, then go back inside wait in line to get your change or card back. Very inconvienent. One little note about proper ettiquette (even if i cna't spell it) After you finish fueling, pull your bus ahead far enough for the next truck to pull inot the spot, then walk in to get your change.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
If you pull through in the correct direction the pumps are always on the right side. I actually have seen a fair amount of pumps at the bigger truckstop style stations that allow you to pay at the pump. The thing I like about the truckstops is that they sell "high voume diesel" (mention that because it's something to look for when choosing a place) which means filling the tank takes half as long. There is nothing worse than pulling into a gas station only to realize they have old old pumps that barely trickle into that 60 gallons tank. I've had the misfortune of being at one that took 10 minutes to fill my truck with gas once. At 1.5 GPM, as that works out, you'd be there for 40 minutes filling the bus.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
Almost There

I always hunt for the Flying Js. Some of them have special RV pullups that have your auto and diesel fuel in the master/slave setup mentioned above plus pay at the pump. Another benefit is that they also have sewer dumps right there that you can use.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote