Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
That "red power cord" is battery positive. We need to energize that solenoid to get power to the other side of it. This is done through the ignition switch. On the solenoid front there will be one or two smaller terminals. If there are two, one must be grounded. Typically it's got a short wire looped back under one of the mounting bolts. It is essential and may be the problem. The other wire comes from your ignition switch. Check the ground first then turn on the ignition switch. Normally you will hear a clunk noise which is the solenoid closing. If you don't hear it, check and see that you have 12 volts on the other terminal and 12 volts between the two. If that is the case you may have a bad solenoid. Easiest way to verify is to jump, carefully, the battery positive to the ungrounded terminal on the solenoid. They're loud, you'll know if it's working and it might startle you. If it's working, you should have power on both sides. The solenoid is key to "everything else is dead".
Verify the ground, and check for ignition power with the key. Do you have a test light or cheapo meter?
Good luck

Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Part two...
Solenoids come in various amperage ratings and the internal contacts can burn out over time. If you wind up replacing it, make sure you disconnect your batteries first..
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 89
Chassis: Chev
Engine: Dt 8.2
Rated Cap: 78, 72
Until you said solenoid I thought it was part of the stop arm of the stop sign just outside the window. Another not working item but yes sir I do have a test light and will get the fluke meter too. Your help is so greatly appreciated and I do believe I sent you a pm.
bbqted is offline   Reply With Quote