Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Gentrification and Colonizers vs the dirty kids

interesting

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMd3JCECU

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
WTF? Now I'm a colonizer? I'm pretty sure by tomorrow night I'll owe her some kind of reparation's. So skoolie/nomad life is only for the homeless and now that's being taken away from her. She made it cool in the first place so I need to ask her how I'm supposed to do it? Sounds like a dictator type mentality to me.
I just realized I should be embarrassed for working hard all my life and being able to afford to build what I want, travel where I want and see some amazing places.
Maybe I'll sell it all and send her a cheque, it likely wouldn't be enough.
Thanks for that thought provoking link.
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
She is an envious person who wants other people who have more or can do more than her to feel misplaced shame for it.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Gentrified bus life?!? Sweetheart, that's called the luxury RV life! And admitting she's socially maladjusted isn't justification for ranting about why communities don't welcome travellers and "dirtykids" as she so crassly termed it.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Welcome to the world depicted in the 2006 farsical comedy turned documentary, IDIOCRACY, and hundreds of years early.

Basically, many high functioning and productive people have chosen not to, or found themselves unable after postponing, bring children into the world. The result being an ever deteriorating capability within the species due to the lowest function and least productive of the species continuing to breed like rabbits.

And here we are, just 15 years after the movies release seeing the farsical characters from the movie come to life.....and with the ability to reveal their thoughts to the majority of the planet thanks to a computer program that allows you to point at a picture and click a button.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Good one Ham
I’m going to have to look for that movie!
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Good one Ham
Cheers

I attended a liberal art college where I got my Bachelors in Business and Criminal Justice. I used the movie for one of my required "film reviews" in one of the required liberal arts courses. I used it to point out the dangers we were facing as a species due to certain political agenda's.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Good one Ham
Cheers
Idiocracy is a MUST see!! One of my favorite movies, right with The Princess Bride.
adriennefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
Commercial Member

I can't even tolerate the video long enough to watch it all the way through.

However, Idiocracy FTW!
Power Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:58 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: Unsure.Handicap bus
As a dirtykid who retired into bus life I can say with 100% certainty, that girl is on dope.
Put the meth down and WORK for a little while and it's not hard to scrounge up a bus.
Mr_Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I kind of get it I guess a little. I think what she’s getting at is sort of like from my perspective when someone says, “I just remodeled my kitchen” and what they really mean is they hired someone who just remodeled their kitchen.

To me, what makes it all worthwhile is the making and something is lost when money and someone else’s labor is used to shortcut to the result.

I see in her rant a certain amount of distainful envy of those with more. I suppose I have that in me too, but I reserve it for billionaires and I don’t think that’s the message.

Here’s an example that comes to mind for me. When I was a kid, if you wanted to a dune buggy you had to build it. Now you can buy one from a factory and I think that just kills the magic.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Welcome to the world depicted in the 2006 farsical comedy turned documentary, IDIOCRACY, and hundreds of years early.

But, it's got electrolytes!
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeline View Post
But, it's got electrolytes!
LOL Just like gatorade
But I think "energy drinks" (i.e. massive caffeine poured into something then canned) have surpassed gatorade.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Mechanical 5.9
Rated Cap: 35 Feet
Funny, I have been making everyone I know watch that movie for the past 2 years. It is our reality. A bit of why I retired early and moved into MzDazy. I want to see as much of this once great country before it is completely destroyed.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:34 AM   #15
Bus Geek

So long as your Plan B is ready when SHTF

mine is to just get out to where they've managed to maintain a civilised society.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
So long as your Plan B is ready when SHTF

mine is to just get out to where they've managed to maintain a civilised society.

My plan B has been ready for over a decade.
Plan A is to bug in
Plan B is to bug out
Lets just say ammo shortages don't affect me and if there's no food on the shelves I won't be worried.
I did have a great laugh over the 2020 toilet paper "shortage"..... those friends who used to ask why the heck I had all that toilet paper in the garage....... they weren't laughing.
One acquaintance called up asking if I had an extra .223. I'm still trying to figure out what "extra" .223 is. I believe it's from the same fictional realm as "extra money".
Old 08-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Lets just say ammo shortages don't affect me and if there's no food on the shelves I won't be worried.
I might be the reason for the ammo shortages!! LoL. My philosophy has been to invest my retirement in gold and silver, brass and lead. Paper money is worth less every day and pretty soon people will use it instead of the toilet paper. Stocks and bonds can be profitable if you have time to play their game but as easy as the money is made it can also be lost. If there really is a SHTF or EOTWAWKI reckoning I'm not important enough for anyone to make an effort to save from doom so I'm simply going to do my best on my own.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I might be the reason for the ammo shortages!! LoL. My philosophy has been to invest my retirement in gold and silver, brass and lead. Paper money is worth less every day and pretty soon people will use it instead of the toilet paper. Stocks and bonds can be profitable if you have time to play their game but as easy as the money is made it can also be lost. If there really is a SHTF or EOTWAWKI reckoning I'm not important enough for anyone to make an effort to save from doom so I'm simply going to do my best on my own.

LOL..... years ago my investment banker was trying to get me to go into gold certificates. I declined as they're about as worthless as tits on a boar. REAL Gold would be a different story but he was pushing that paper scam where someone says they hold your gold in their big safe vault and you have a piece of paper that says it's yours.
At the time I told him I preffered semi-precious metals like lead and brass and to keep them on hand. He didn't get it. I had to explain that ammo would be worth more than gold when it comes.
NOW I have silver to with it. And 57 pounds of range lead ingots for the muzzle loaders should it really get bad.