Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Getting a BIGGER bed into the bus!

Just read a thread about getting a queen size bed into a bus. How about a KING size bed? That's what my wife and I want. Our bed is one single king size mattress atop two twin-size box springs. I don't want to damage the mattress by folding it into a "taco" as the OP in the other thread suggested... but is it possible that that won't damage it?

Also, are there mattresses that are less likely to be damaged when folded in half like that? (My wife's parents bought a memory foam mattress for her old bedroom and recently she said she liked that more than the mattress we currently have, which I believe uses conventional springs.)

We were thinking we'd have to use two twin mattresses atop the two twin box springs on a king size frame, so that it would fit through the door and still stay together.

Any thoughts? Have any of y'all put a real king size bed in a bus, in some way which would make it possible to remove it and put another one in relatively easily? (I wouldn't accept, for example, "we removed the roof, then lowered a king size bed into the bus, then did a roof raise"!)

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Anything is possible, but somewhere there will be compromises.

I'd like a king size bed but I wouldn't like walking around it in a bus. I realize you are probably talking about a big bed like that in the back of a RE bus. Two twin box springs would solve the problem of a rigid box spring. The mattress doesn't exactly have to be folded and creased. It just weeds to bend enough to fit through that front door and around the corner.

Personally I like two twin beds to make a king. That seems to keep people on their side of the bed better.

As suggested in the other thread, you can take out several windows and posts to fit things inside. That full size fridge isn't going to fit through the front door either.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Personally I like two twin beds to make a king. That seems to keep people on their side of the bed better.
As I told Rusty, not much of a "love machine..."

You must be married for over a year...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Twenty years, and now I've been set free. That accounts for the three buses in my yard.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I've a full-sized bed in my RE Thomas. It leaves me about 18" on one side.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Hey Cap, been wondering where you were.

Those big beds work best in a RE like yours. My 26' FE doesn't have enough space for me to use a bed that big without giving something up.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Oh, I've been lurking about. Just remember to check under your bed once in a while.

I like the roominess of a full sized bed without having to sacrifice much. A queen sized bed would fit, but I'd have to give up what limited space is available. I did have to have a custom bed frame made ($300), but that frame is solid and hasn't moved an inch and it ain't bolted down.

I also have a 15 cu ft fridge midships just forward of the e-door. That allows me to drop the groceries off and a place to dispose of the trash. Plus, the basement doors are just below the e-door. Oh, and the propane tanks come right inside without having to manouever up the entry steps.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I bought a new king size bed frame and all with memory foam a couple of years ago and I think they actually called it a California king cause it is a little bigger but the box spring was nothing more than some plywood framed with an inch of foam and some material?(easily made in place).
When I went to pick my bed up I was already aggravated cause it was already a week late,didn't show up when they said it would the day before that I took off of work a little early to go pickup?
The next day when I got there and loaded everything the man said that's all of it and I said that's not all of it where's the mattress? He pointed to the smallest box I had loaded and I said BS? He turned the box on end and it said mattress so I shut up and took it home?
It was in a 2'x2'4' long box and when we took it out of the box they had vacuum packed to fit.
Once the vacuum was released and the plastic cut off the damn thing was a oversize king bed about 12" thick? Surprised the hell outta me but it sleeps better than any spring master that was ever made.
Oh and the kids don't hear the springs moving either? Maybe the bus springs but not the bed springs?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I bought a new king size bed frame and all with memory foam a couple of years ago and I think they actually called it a California king cause it is a little bigger but the box spring was nothing more than some plywood framed with an inch of foam and some material?(easily made in place).
When I went to pick my bed up I was already aggravated cause it was already a week late,didn't show up when they said it would the day before that I took off of work a little early to go pickup?
The next day when I got there and loaded everything the man said that's all of it and I said that's not all of it where's the mattress? He pointed to the smallest box I had loaded and I said BS? He turned the box on end and it said mattress so I shut up and took it home?
It was in a 2'x2'4' long box and when we took it out of the box they had vacuum packed to fit.
Once the vacuum was released and the plastic cut off the damn thing was a oversize king bed about 12" thick? Surprised the hell outta me but it sleeps better than any spring master that was ever made.
Oh and the kids don't hear the springs moving either? Maybe the bus springs but not the bed springs?
We a memory foam mattress to replace a really crappy mattress in one of our 5ers in preparation for a 6 week trip. When we got home from our trip we bought two more.....

We love them and they are so easy to get in place.

They do sleep a little bit warm but all in all my $340 foam mattress is more comfortable than the $1100 pillow top mattress that it replaced.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I must be the oddball, but y'all keep your memory-foam mattresses. I hate 'em. I feel like I'm sleeping in a bowl, and it kills my back. Hotel beds with memory foam toppers are the worst. Always a "hole" memorized where people sit up in bed to watch the boob-tube.

I put a nice firm twin spring mattress in mine to pass inspection. At home, I had a nice organic cotton futon bed in the guest room, and I slept on a 3/4 length, 1-inch thick "Guidelite" inflatable backpacking/trekking/camping mattress made by Therm-A-Rest, directly on the carpeted floor. Just gotta have the right pillows for your head.

But that's me.

For the bus, eventually a futon couch that folds out into a bed is the way I'm going. Just gotta be big enough for love...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my biggest issue with memory foam is HOT.. I got a bed with memory foam layer on it and now i just ROAST.. almost every night is a wake-up sweaty at least once.. im having to sleep with my bedroom window open even though its 30 outside..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not alone. My Ex-Wife spent well over two grand on a fancy-schmancy top-of-the-line memory foam mattress and I absolutely HATED it! Like you, it killed my back and was incredibly uncomfortable. Never again!

Would prefer coil springs but it ain't gonna happen in my rig. It will have to be foam but it will be several different layers and types. Just none of the "Memory" stuff.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Send any unwanted, unsoiled memory foam mattresses my way yall!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
mine is one of the adjustable type.. I LOVE the air adjustable capabilities. but next time I'll get the non memory foam layer.. I just got a new mattress pad today thats supposed to help with the heat issues.. its counter-productive for me to sleep with the window open to get the room below 60 degrees.. then get out of bed in the AM, be frozen and set the dual-gas fiurnaces at Blast-mode to warm the place up to 75.. only so I can do it again the next night..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

on the subject of memory foam mattresses: we bought one from a high end dealer and hated it. sent it back and tried the Ghost Bed. We love it. I'm 300lb and we've been sleeping on it for a couple of years now with no "divots".
jsin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Boy... We are all over the place

I had one of those air adjustable beds and hated it.

My memory foam mattress's are all "gel" foam which is supposed to be cooler. They are still warmer than my pillow top but it is bearable.

As far as the OP's question goes, I expect that the memory foam and air adjustable beds would either allow a king bed to fit through the bus door.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

« Flooring | Glossary »