Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I expect like IN and FL, most states' rules for CDL by weight are concerned with GVWR, not curb or registered weight.

That said, it seems most states have some common sense about not requiring a CDL for a commercial-type vehicle being used privately. It's not so uncommon as one might think, especially in places where horses are popular. It's somewhat common for folks from that crowd to privately own dump trucks and tractors for cleaning up their arenas, and to own custom road tractors for towing their heavy 5+ horse trailers.

If you're pulled over driving a bus with a temporary transport plate, bill of sale, and decals on the side all from a place far away it'll be pretty obvious you're not likely doing anything commercial. Thus they won't care whether you have a CDL. Just have proof of insurance, some kind of sales document, and ideally a temporary vehicle transport permit. Technically a bus not being used as a school bus can't be National Schoolbus Yellow either, but I can't think of a time anybody came here and reported trouble over that especially on that first drive home. You'll be fine.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
I'm sure this has been asked already, and I've searched as best I can, but I just can't seem to find a satisfying answer:

If I buy a bus that's exactly what I'm after but rather far away, how the <blankety-blank> do I get it home?

I'm thinking its in this order:
  1. Complete financial transaction and get bill of sale / title (but negotiate about a month's worth of storage);
  2. Do the "Vermont Trick" to re-title to a motorhome (about two-three weeks' time);
  3. Once that is done, get insurance (Progressive? A few days' maybe);
  4. Now, schedule a trip out to pick up the bus and drive it home.
What other options am I missing that won't break the bank?
Other options, what I did:

1. Got in bus.
2. Drove it home.

Nobody seems to pay attention to buses.

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Marky, you probably pass school buses every day. Do they all have license plates on them or do you even look? Buses are nearly invisible. Nobody pays attention to buses, lucky for us.
Put on your bus driver hat and floor it. Just look like a disgruntled low paid school bus driver every time you pass a LEO.

Seriously, take your receipt and insurance and go for it. You'll never get all the paperwork you want to cover you arce from multiple states. Go for it and enjoy the adrenalyn. Victory awaits you.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
Skoolie

In Georgia, I was told that I do not need a CDL as long as I am not using the bus commercially. That might mean putting a sign in the window that says "private motorhome not for rent or service" if the bus still looks like a normal bus (ie with seats and everything)
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #25
Bus Geek

The LEOs don't want to waide through all the paperwork of a used bus purchase. Even if they do check you, if you look legit and honest you're going to be ok.

No wait, I think it's 3-5 years in the goolag for driving a bus home. When you get out of the goolag you'll have lots of tats, a few behavior disorders and lots of new friends. Worth it!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Yes, I have passed many school buses and generally I don't look for their tags. So at this point I'll just have all of my documentation and give it a go.

Thank you all! Wonderful wisdom.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
Bus Geek

You can probably tell from other threads that this is a common problem. It really gets complicated trying to be legal. I did get temporary tags to drive my bus home, but I first had to drive the bus to the DMV. All wording had been removed from the exterior and the emergency flashers were disabled and painted black. It didn't take much time at all to register it, pick up my temp tag and be on my way. It sure does feel strange the first time you drive off with your bus.

The point is if you can wipe that smile off your face you'll probably look like a normal bus driver. People don't look at a yellow school bus twice, unless you mess up. Just drive like you're getting paid by the hour.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Angry

Yea, it does get complicated trying to be legal. Gov't doesn't like to make anything easy.

I've got a lead on a really sweet bus (just a tad expensive, though). Right now I'm dealing with the damnable insurance companies trying to find even temporary insurance to get the thing home.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Yea, it does get complicated trying to be legal. Gov't doesn't like to make anything easy.

I've got a lead on a really sweet bus (just a tad expensive, though). Right now I'm dealing with the damnable insurance companies trying to find even temporary insurance to get the thing home.
Have you tried a local progressive agent? if not, try that. Tell em you want a commercial policy for PRIVATE, PERSONAL USE.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Have you tried a local progressive agent? if not, try that. Tell em you want a commercial policy for PRIVATE, PERSONAL USE.
That's exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow. I hope the fact that the bus I'm looking at is already titled as an RV won't throw a "reverse wrench" into this.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow. I hope the fact that the bus I'm looking at is already titled as an RV won't throw a "reverse wrench" into this.
OH- Progressive are pretty adamant about NOT insuring converted school buses.
I left my title as BUS.
YOu may have to call Good Sam.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
OH- Progressive are pretty adamant about NOT insuring converted school buses.
I left my title as BUS.
YOu may have to call Good Sam.
Well, the bus I'm looking at isn't exactly a school bus even though its a BlueBird. The VIN actually lists it as an "Incomplete" bus....

I've been meaning to put up a thread about it and have the wise ones comment. Just very busy at the moment with other things....
Old 03-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, the bus I'm looking at isn't exactly a school bus even though its a BlueBird. The VIN actually lists it as an "Incomplete" bus....

I've been meaning to put up a thread about it and have the wise ones comment. Just very busy at the moment with other things....
They're all "incomplete chassis". That means the chassis is bought, the bus body is put on.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
They're all "incomplete chassis". That means the chassis is bought, the bus body is put on.
I thought bluebird manufactured all of their chassis and bodies.... Humm....
Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Hey, you sure you want to buy insurance before you know if it's going to make it home? I drive it home assuming I'm automatically being covered by my current automotive policy. The few times I've been stopped and checked everything was ok with the LEO as long as I had a current insurance policy and receipts for the new vehicle.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Yup, Incomplete Chassis, Technically that's what my old 1 ton Chevy is, though its fitted with a flatbed. Bus manufacturers didn't always make their own chassis, but that seems to be the way things have been for several years. Most of the transit type busses, front and rear engine have been that way for longer than conventionals.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Hey, you sure you want to buy insurance before you know if it's going to make it home? I drive it home assuming I'm automatically being covered by my current automotive policy. The few times I've been stopped and checked everything was ok with the LEO as long as I had a current insurance policy and receipts for the new vehicle.
Heh, really good question - the answer is that I checked with my insurance agent and the answer was a big, fat "HE** NO YOU AREN'T COVERED!" The idea being the policy was for a sedan or even an SUV, which does a heck of a lot LESS damage than an "RV" in an accident.

Yup, the answer surprised me, but I asked because I'm not one to leave things to chance (I've really gotten myself in trouble on that point lately, and I really don't want to repeat the lesson). So, if I do something, I do something. However, if it goes pear-shaped, I want options.

BTW, I really harangued my insurance agent about that as I've been his "customer" for over 14 years now. He let his office people handle my questions, which ended up being "nope, sorry, we don't do that, go somewhere else" because they didn't want to look up the answer.

When he saw my "well, I'd hate to switch my insurance somewhere else, but if you want me to I will - just understand that I may find it easier to stay with whomever I switch to for my future insurance needs..." message he jumped into the fray. He said he has a few obligations tomorrow that he can't change, but he will call me this weekend. We'll see what happens. Maybe he will find something that will get me home insured, maybe not....
Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewzer55 View Post
Yup, Incomplete Chassis, Technically that's what my old 1 ton Chevy is, though its fitted with a flatbed. Bus manufacturers didn't always make their own chassis, but that seems to be the way things have been for several years. Most of the transit type busses, front and rear engine have been that way for longer than conventionals.
Wow....
Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
I thought bluebird manufactured all of their chassis and bodies.... Humm....
Bluebird and Thomas both bought TONS of chassis from Navistar.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Quote:
Wow....
Cab and chassis model, a normal pickup bed doesn't fit, slightly longer wheelbase and no mounts.

Tags
home