Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Good or bad idea to buy this bus

I’m in the process of buying a new bus within the next couple of months. Instead of a full sized bus, I’m looking at getting a short or mid sized bus that way it’s easier to get into most parks and find parking. My goal once I buy this bus is to travel throughout the US to both National and State parks. I would need a bus that would be good for long hauls and driving through mountains with incline. I’ve found this bus, but I need a little help on whether or not this would be a good option. Here’s some of the info I’ve received from the current owner of the bus..

1991 International/Navistar
New batteries, tires and repaired engine
$4,500
28 feet in length
44k miles on it
Model 3700
Engine capacity V8 7.3 liter
Break system air
Diesel
Drive line type 4x2
No rust in or outside of the bus

Any suggestions? Pros? Cons?

RoadRanger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger20 View Post
I’m in the process of buying a new bus within the next couple of months. Instead of a full sized bus, I’m looking at getting a short or mid sized bus that way it’s easier to get into most parks and find parking. My goal once I buy this bus is to travel throughout the US to both National and State parks. I would need a bus that would be good for long hauls and driving through mountains with incline. I’ve found this bus, but I need a little help on whether or not this would be a good option. Here’s some of the info I’ve received from the current owner of the bus..

1991 International/Navistar
New batteries, tires and repaired engine
$4,500
28 feet in length
44k miles on it
Model 3700
Engine capacity V8 7.3 liter
Break system air
Diesel
Drive line type 4x2
No rust in or outside of the bus

Any suggestions? Pros? Cons?
Several observations:
1. The bus doesn't have 44k miles - the odometer has been replaced. Odometers are often replaced, but I'm concerned the owner is trying to claim that the odometer reading is accurate when he should know better...

2. If the transmission is not specified, it is an AT545. It isn't bad necessarily, but this bus is likely to feel underpowered.

3. The International Harvester IDI 7.3l engine has a good reputation for reliability.

4. Tires are expensive, averaging around $1800 for a set. There is a date code on the tire that will tell you if they are really new. Tires age out, sometimes despite having new-looking tread. Some owners also buy retreads for the rear tires.

5. Air brakes are pretty standard for this size bus. So is a 4x2 drive line.

6. Check yourself for rust. Where is the bus from? Certain states are much better than others. Rust is a deal killer if you want a conversion to last (without spending an insane amount of time mitigating it)

7. Did he say why the engine was repaired?
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut

What is meant by 4x2 drive line?

I'm guessing its not referring to 4x2 as opposed to 4x4 or it probably wouldn't have been explicitly stated.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
What is meant by 4x2 drive line?

I'm guessing its not referring to 4x4 vs 4x2 or it wouldn't have been stated.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's referring to. Notice that the bus is also listed as a "diesel." And, it has "break system air" (air brakes).
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:09 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's referring to. Notice that the bus is also listed as a "diesel." And, it has "break system air" (air brakes).

Maybe you are right (though at least with diesel v gas, and air v hydraulic there are enough buses out there with gas and hydraulic breaks that its a question people ask).

But now that I'm thinking about it, I think the specs are probably copy pasted from a craigslist post or something and listing 4wd/2wd gas/diesel etc are standard checkboxes.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I *JUST* picked up a similar full length bus last week for a forum member. While the 7.3 is a reliable engine, the one I drove just simply didn't have the power to maintain highway speeds for long trips, it barely maintained 50 MPH up a hill. Even in a shorter bus, you'll find your top speed in the 55 range. Regearing would give a higher top speed on the downhills, sure, but not so much when going up the other side. Keep looking for something more powerful. Also, pass on anything equipped with an AT545 transmission.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
4x2= 4tires in rear, 2 in front...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
4x2= 4tires in rear, 2 in front...

No. 4 wheel positions, 2 wheel drive. Very common notation if buying pickups, SUV's or vehicles often available in 4 wheel drive.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote