Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41
Good Sam, not so good?

Anybody else received an email from Good Sam, they are no longer covering conversion based on commercial vehicles such as schoolbusses, vans, trucks, etc.

Who do u recommend for roadside assistance???

rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Mastercard and visa?
Old 10-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Coach Net still seems to do it as of now but if they are anything like Good Sam they will stop offering it once the hordes of people with poorly maintained buses descend on them and immediately push the company books solidly into the red.

These companies will only offer the service as long as it is profitable to them. Roadside type services depend on the vast majority of customers NOT experiencing issues.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41
well, I certainly never made a claim.

on the phone right now, GoodSam is playing pass the ball, as they are bouncing around and nobody seems to wanna talk about this cancelation.

"andrea" informed me it has always been like this, after which I asked why they have been taking my money since 2016? no good answer forthcoming, asked if they knew since 2016 they are not insuring my vehicle despite me telling them every year what the vehicle I am insuring? And would that not constitute fraud, to which "andrea" commented, the system is slow... 2016 slow? seriously?

"andrea's" next updated response: oh no, you always been covered, its a change in the last 30 days.

so now I am on my 4th transfer, trying to get money back, cancel auto renewal, etc.

now talking to "brenda" who told me there are a 1000 or so members affected. She has no clue what or why this rule chance, but 'brenda" restituted the 10 remaining months of the roadside assistance, and after some poking, also the full amount of the club membership.

i would suggest, flood the phone lines with complaints.

I would also drop a line to your local State Insurance Commissioner about GoodSam's cancelation practices.

and oh by the way, GoodSam's new and improved website does not work nicely with Chrome or Safari, please use other browsers, according to "brenda", so if yer having log in problems......
rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Mastercard and visa?

Mastercard and Visa?

Care to expand on that..?

edit, ahh i think i see, sarcasm. went over my head the first read.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Good Sam and a number of other RV companies have been bought up by Camping World. I won't do business with any of them any more.

We have the top of the line (and no longer available) AAA RV Premium roadside package which includes one 200 mile tow per year. We will NEVER let that drop as it's no longer available.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The cost to tow large vehicles has gone up dramatically in the last few years, in large part due to the newer heavy duty diesel engine reliability issues, so with demand up, prices followed. Now the underwriters can't make a buck and want out. Most of these policies were of dubious value to start with, so unless you had a premium policy you didn't really get much. You wait until they can find the lowest cost operator, and then only to the first repair shop. That was more than likely owned by the drivers uncle.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I got the same email today. I just called and the rep said they had been getting calls all day. The policy switch appeared out of nowhere according to him.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We had Good Sam, didn't re-up because we no longer travel full time. I'd always wondered if they'd truly cover our bus anyway. My wife had read somewhere (maybe Facebook skoolie group? or maybe another RV forum) that skoolie people had luck with an Equestrian motor plan that's mainly for horse trailers but also covers any other vehicle including buses. I don't know the details or how true this is, but it might be worth looking into. A quick search showed that there are several roadside plans for the equestrian community.
Just a thought.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Coach Net still seems to do it as of now but if they are anything like Good Sam they will stop offering it once the hordes of people with poorly maintained buses descend on them and immediately push the company books solidly into the red.

These companies will only offer the service as long as it is profitable to them. Roadside type services depend on the vast majority of customers NOT experiencing issues.
It's probably a straight up business decision driven by the increasing popularity of skoolies and the corresponding rise in the number of less-than-ready-for-prime-time rigs who rely on insurance instead of preventive maintenance.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Most of these policies were of dubious value to start with, so unless you had a premium policy you didn't really get much. You wait until they can find the lowest cost operator, and then only to the first repair shop. That was more than likely owned by the drivers uncle.
Well we have the AAA RV Premium and we've made use of it, though not with the Skoolie.
Dodge Ram pulling a 21.5' fifth wheel. Not all that big at 40' total truck and trailer. Truck blew (and I mean destroyed) the water pump including eating some of the accessory case. It took 4 1/2 hours to get a tow rig to us on a main Interstate. Apparently the closest one "declined". They ended up sending us a rig from over an hour away.
Funny thing, the driver complained about the "damn locktite" on the driveshaft yoke making his job difficult.... well if you had a cordless impact, and air impact, or even a breaker bar....it'd have been real easy. You know that guy was making bucks towing us 70 miles home. But had to complain.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 10-27-2021, 09:41 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
It's probably a straight up business decision driven by the increasing popularity of skoolies and the corresponding rise in the number of less-than-ready-for-prime-time rigs who rely on insurance instead of preventive maintenance.
I wonder if we'll "get a break" since our rig technically isn't a skoolie even though a school operated it as a team bus at the end of its commercial service. It's a transit coach with coach style windows that, according to a reliable resource that used to drive it for that school....started life as a Disney parking shuttle. How kool is that?
Old 11-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I wonder if we'll "get a break" since our rig technically isn't a skoolie even though a school operated it as a team bus at the end of its commercial service. It's a transit coach with coach style windows that, according to a reliable resource that used to drive it for that school....started life as a Disney parking shuttle. How kool is that?
Former "commercial" vehicles are not covered according to the email they sent out, so I'd guess that equals a "NO".
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

When I called SAM's they said our records show you have a "bus conversion" and I said, "Well, so you know why I'm calling then.", then said "yes" and proceeded to cancel and refund, no runaround at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8flyboy View Post
well, I certainly never made a claim.

on the phone right now, GoodSam is playing pass the ball, as they are bouncing around and nobody seems to wanna talk about this cancelation.

"andrea" informed me it has always been like this, after which I asked why they have been taking my money since 2016? no good answer forthcoming, asked if they knew since 2016 they are not insuring my vehicle despite me telling them every year what the vehicle I am insuring? And would that not constitute fraud, to which "andrea" commented, the system is slow... 2016 slow? seriously?

"andrea's" next updated response: oh no, you always been covered, its a change in the last 30 days.

so now I am on my 4th transfer, trying to get money back, cancel auto renewal, etc.

now talking to "brenda" who told me there are a 1000 or so members affected. She has no clue what or why this rule chance, but 'brenda" restituted the 10 remaining months of the roadside assistance, and after some poking, also the full amount of the club membership.

i would suggest, flood the phone lines with complaints.

I would also drop a line to your local State Insurance Commissioner about GoodSam's cancelation practices.

and oh by the way, GoodSam's new and improved website does not work nicely with Chrome or Safari, please use other browsers, according to "brenda", so if yer having log in problems......
Old 11-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
Coachnet picked me up no issues at all -$249/yr for roadside asst, towing, tire repair, fuel if stranded, lock out service, and jump starts...
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coach-Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
Coachnet picked me up no issues at all -$249/yr for roadside asst, towing, tire repair, fuel if stranded, lock out service, and jump starts...
I just checked their website. Some gotchas that I saw:

No limits on "towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility." This isn't a tow home or to your mechanic of choice.

Trip interruption reimbursement of "disablement of your RV due to a collision" not for breakdowns.

Big pluses:
It covers all your vehicles, spouses, and kids under 24. AAA makes you pay extra for each and they must all have the same service (both must get premier)

I didn't see any vehicle limitations.

They can send mechanics to your vehicle.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I never used Sam's service, but I had serious doubts about them coming through when you actual might need them.. I've heard stories of run-arounds, forcing you to fight for the service you paid for and spending hours on the phone with them.
Just check their BBB, so many 1 star/ negative reviews. I have a suspicion that their most of their 5 star "reviews" are fakes that are propagated from Sam's themselves to try and pump their over-all rating, just the way they are written smells like bs to me.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...ws&filter=none