Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 9L
Greetings all!

Hello everyone! So nice to find you all, and I wasn't even looking, I was Googling some specs and it hit on a thread here, and I said "Wow, look at all these folks!" I have only been here a few minutes, but I think I may stick around.

I am a former-and-future bus dweller (am even hoping to get a little Bus Village going for folks passing near I-20 & I-49) who loves liberty (here is one of my sites: AmericanRevival.org). I am known by many older folks on the Rainbow Trail, but have been in one spot for several years, and am getting ready to get back out there.

Anyway, I am Micha the Storyteller (or, at least that is what many on the road know me as). I reckon you'll want to see my bus (it runs on propane, by the way):

(which, coincidentally, was my first inter-state hitch-hiking ride of years prior) and lived in it awhile until it looked like this.

and then this:

Anyway, I have been sedentary (college, business, etc.) for most of a decade since coming back to Louisiana and meeting my wife, and it is time to begin a new phase. I intend to get a 75ish passenger with an International in it, and trick it out.

One thing about me, I am a carpenter (my business)(with other trades mixed in, to be sure) and something of a perfectionist. I intend to go with a very rustic interior at first glance (knotty pine plank walls, antique(d) fixtures, natural materials for the most part, BUT, I am also a gadget hound and intend on taking advantage of every modern marvel that suits me when it comes to the living systems and entertainment systems. I can't rest until I get things down to such a science that I cannot imagine I will rest until this next bus will be flexible enough to have a low power mode that even a solar trickle will get us by (in the back-country, I mean) or a rave mode (so to speak, I have never been to one) where we crank up or plug in and get to some serious rock and roll.

My maiden 'sure enough' voyage in this next bus is intended to be Alaska (I haven't Googled ferry fares or whatever, but I'm sure it'll all be apparent in time. I have only missed 5 states, and I promised my grandfather who was stationed in the Aleutians that I would go there someday, and I'll be damned if I am gonna fly up there or some such nonsense just to say I was there- I want to dive in, and that means I have to get off my duff and build the Styleier Cabin (not really the name).

Here is a sketch I did a week or so ago. I sortof threw a canoe on the roof, but I rather think a VW bug body or some such will end up in front of the bedroom bus loft. We shall see.

linky

I'll post more later, I am already running at the mouth. Anyway, hello!

MichaTheStoryteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Re: Greetings all!

Louisiana huh? Ever make it to the Festival International?
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
Louisiana huh? Ever make it to the Festival International?
Nope.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
OK! Read your website. Glad you are here! Lots of atheists and fallen souls on this board but what the hey, these might be the end times. I don't dare judge them because I am a sinner, but I do point out their follies from time to time according to scripture, and I love them 'cause they're skoolies after my own heart. Bring 'em the Word!

"....seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt.6.33

Yes, being no better than anyone else, I tend to wait until asked for my opinions on certain matters at certain times.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Agnostic married to a devout Wiccan here...but yeah, welcome.

Dang near everyone here is at least a little nutz, so you should fit right in.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Looked at your website. Think you might be over qualified to convert a skoolie? We used to do the same type work (high end remodels, restyles- electric/lp/trim/construction/tile/design/landscape/plumbing/painting)- at one time used to have a custom cabinet company and we built custom laminate countertops). Note the "USED TO". No more $$ to do that kind of thing in SW NC. And it would take too long to get the pay back up to where it was when things shut down ($35/HR to do trim). Now we only do that stuff for ourselves. Dumped most of our tools but kept a few to convert our skoolie... and build another food concession trailer (we're food vendors). Can't wait to see what you come up with!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Looked at your website. Think you might be over qualified to convert a skoolie? We used to do the same type work (high end remodels, restyles- electric/lp/trim/construction/tile/design/landscape/plumbing/painting)- at one time used to have a custom cabinet company and we built custom laminate countertops). Note the "USED TO". No more $$ to do that kind of thing in SW NC. And it would take too long to get the pay back up to where it was when things shut down ($35/HR to do trim). Now we only do that stuff for ourselves. Dumped most of our tools but kept a few to convert our skoolie... and build another food concession trailer (we're food vendors). Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Thanks for the reply and hello!

Yes, those that don't know me will likely not realize what I am planning. It will be easy to forget that you are in a schoolbus when in it, more of like... a rustic cabin turned into a digital business and living headquarters with something of a high-end Italian restaurant flair.

I am on a three-year (loose) schedule for myself to have this road-worthy (not perfected, but quite livable), and can then perfect it over time. I intend to bring enough tools with me to make it a continual work in progress.

I am taking it as it comes. I have done the full time road thing for years already, and am not necessarily set on that. I'm sure I will have a "home base" (around here in LA until further notice), but whether I am at it for three months out of the year or nine remains to be seen. One thing I know for sure, I am good at the 'normal' thing, but I am too cut out for being on the road to do be in one place all the time, so I must answer my nature once again, it seems.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Welcome aboard! What part of Minnesota did you reside in, if only temporarily?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

My mom has 10 acres in Mora, just north of Cambridge (hour north of the cities on 65).
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I am familiar with the area.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I am familiar with the area.
Yeah, I was a street kid in MPLS when I was 14 and 15 until I learned how to cross-country hitch at 16 and then got my first bus at 19.

Ahh, Mankato... I spent the night tripping in a hospital there many many moons ago.

I see you have hit two states I missed... ND & MI. I only have five left to go. Its just that ND and MI aren't really on the way to anywhere, and I haven't had any other excuse yet.