Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 35
Guns in Your Skoolie (spoiler alert: I'm a Big Gun Guy)

Soooooo.... hot topic here I know. Love 'em or hate 'em we live in a gun culture in the USA and unless the current administration has its way (over my dead body), guns are here to stay.

Having said that, I was on a prepper forum lately and a gun hater asked how he could defend himself from two and four legged predators without carrying an evil GUN. By God you should have heard all the answers: pepper spray, tasers, brass knuckles and crossbows were on the menu. But in actuality nothing defends like a smoke stick of any caliber or type, and way deep down inside the haters know that.

Now I can sure spout off and tell you what I do when I'm on the road (the first thing being to check state laws), but I'm curious how y'all would defend against rapists, robbers and murderers (and I'll give a personal witness to how I defended myself against two of the three in this thread)), so I beg you to think this out thoroughly before you answer, imagining your own wife or girlfriend being abused while you are tied up and watching. Don't think it can happen? In this world? Seriously?

Old 09-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The absolute last thing I ever want to do is shoot someone. The ramifications of such an event can ruin your life. I'm not against people carrying a gun, after all we (society) pay people to commit violence on our behalf.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
Okay, wife the tied up part and being abused is a little intense. I use that kind of language from time to time but I don't bandy it about; seems tasteless. That being said I have a CA CCW and a UT CWP keeps me covered in like 38 states. I carry a J-frame on the person when I am about and a full size duty something in the vehicle accessible. If I am traveling to go hunt somewhere I run a full size semi auto something in a 10mm in addition to my j frame and of course whatever hunting arm I happen to be utilizing. But I am an ounce of prevention over a pound of cure guy. I just don’t put myself into tight spots like that, nor do I present myself as someone easily victimized. Mostly just be polite to people, exercise situational awareness, and attention to detail.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:31 PM   #4

Here in Canada, use of force is a funny thing. We've had people get thrown in prison for shooting intruders in their own home. We've also had farmers chase down petty thieves and fire "warning shots" at them outside their property who did not even get charged.

Canadians can get non-resident CPLs from New Hampshire but it's only good in 20 or so states.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Then you have to ask yourself how is this going to help my interaction with law enforcement? In some places it will be fine. Not so much in others. When driving around on public roads this is always a possibility.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:23 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
The absolute last thing I ever want to do is shoot someone. The ramifications of such an event can ruin your life. I'm not against people carrying a gun, after all we (society) pay people to commit violence on our behalf.
This is a highly intelligent comment so thank you very much. Nobody except a sociopath would "want" to shoot another human but as the saying goes "When seconds count, police are minutes away".

Personally, I would rather "ruin my life" and be pro-active than stand by and watch myself or another be victimized.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:30 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAF2009 View Post
Okay, wife the tied up part and being abused is a little intense. I use that kind of language from time to time but I don't bandy it about; seems tasteless.
Yah, tasteless.

How's about I give you the details of a tasteless story like that which happened to a family member in real life? I tasted it. Definitely not tasteless. It tasted like evil. You know. Like someone pouring hot, moulten rubber down your throat that you can never forget.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:33 AM   #8
Bus Nut

You know what guy, Ive tasted evil like you probably couldn’t imagine. On 3 continents guy. I've seen every depredation man does to his fellow man, stuff you probably get your kicks off of when you see it in the movies. People who have actually seen these things don’t like talking about it which tells me you probably haven't seen jack. Normal people don’t go into internet forums talking like that. What if some lady who had been tied up in her life was having an otherwise decent day read your post and had to relive that again for no reason except that you are an ignoramus. You have no clue who your audience might be. Like when you open your mouth at me, a disabled combat medic who did 2 tours in Afghanistan, DRC, CAR, and Somalia after that. Then I became a police officer before going to school and working as an RN IN OAKLAND CA. Your guns won’t save you from your mouth guy. Good luck and god bless
Old 09-23-2021, 06:00 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySeven View Post
...but I'm curious how y'all would defend against rapists, robbers and murderers (and I'll give a personal witness to how I defended myself against two of the three in this thread)), so I beg you to think this out thoroughly before you answer, imagining your own wife or girlfriend being abused while you are tied up and watching. Don't think it can happen? In this world? Seriously?
If you actually want to start a meaningful discussion, this is not how you do it.

This thread was doomed to be nothing more than an ugly argument from the first post, not because it is about guns, but because it was started in bad faith by somebody who's just out to fluff his own feathers and denigrate anybody who disagrees.

Didn't think I'd ever use this feature, but... [IGNORE]
Old 09-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
You know what guy, Ive tasted evil like you probably couldn’t imagine. On 3 continents guy. I've seen every depredation man does to his fellow man, stuff you probably get your kicks off of when you see it in the movies. People who have actually seen these things don’t like talking about it which tells me you probably haven't seen jack. Normal people don’t go into internet forums talking like that. What if some lady who had been tied up in her life was having an otherwise decent day read your post and had to relive that again for no reason except that you are an ignoramus. You have no clue who your audience might be. Like when you open your mouth at me, a disabled combat medic who did 2 tours in Afghanistan, DRC, CAR, and Somalia after that. Then I became a police officer before going to school and working as an RN IN OAKLAND CA. Your guns won’t save you from your mouth guy. Good luck and god bless
Thank you for your service. We don't need people posting crap like this on the forum.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
isnt it as easy as getting a CCW and carrying legally in the state you are in? im sure there are states which its illegal to carry however I dont know of any state thet you cant transport your own licensed firearms.. so it may be that you need to lock them up out of reach in some states.. you can still access your firearm quicker than the police will get to you in a situation.. ive also never seen a random situation occur in which someone just walked up to a vehicle and started punching it full of lead.. you have doors and windows between you and an intruder.. those situations are almost always inside jobs where the 2 parties knew each other and one was going back for ???, a robbery situation ranbdomly occuring is where the suspect isnt out to kill instantly.. many states you can keep it in your pocket all the time but the few you cant, you can still get to it pretty quickly and likely deter said intruder well before the cops arrive...

I know plenty of people that carry in their RVs in all states without issue.. I know at least a few who sleep in walmarts, truck stops, etc that have beefed up the locks and security on their doors as well as alarming them esp if they travel alone. by the time someone gets in they have time to ready themselves and their firearm.

you are most likely to be ambushed entering and exiting your vehicle, thats when you are most vulnerable.. at that point the state and local laws for CCW on your person apply and not the vehicle laws as you arent driving or riding , you are considered outside at that point.

the easiest way to determine legalities is to read up on local laws for where you are planning on travelling before you arrive.. if you frequent certain states it may be prudent to take and pass a CCW class in those states individually esp if there arent reciprocal laws with the state you obtain your CCW in..
Old 09-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

the easiest way to determine legalities is to read up on local laws for where you are planning on travelling before you arrive.. if you frequent certain states it may be prudent to take and pass a CCW class in those states individually esp if there arent reciprocal laws with the state you obtain your CCW in..
Good comments and thanks for that. Some of the above comments and DM's I've gotten were unhinged. I know the second amendment is a hot topic, but its sad to see people throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to self protection. Protecting me and mine are foremost in my mind both at home or going out on the road.

I'm not aware of any state, and please tell me if I am wrong that doesn't consider a motorhome as a "domicile" that can be protected in the same way your own house can be. It is important to check state laws whenever you leave the interstate highway system (truckers with their shotguns are never arrested). In Colorado, your RV is your home for legal purposes and you may legally possess loaded handguns while in and around your domicile, but when paying for gas or strolling around they must be visible and not concealed unless you have a permit, and I believe many states to be so.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a very comprehensive list of gun laws state-by-state:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state

And here is a pdf which is easier to read:

https://assets.cdn.usconcealedcarry....dCarryMap.pdf?
Old 09-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian900 View Post
Here in Canada, use of force is a funny thing. We've had people get thrown in prison for shooting intruders in their own home. We've also had farmers chase down petty thieves and fire "warning shots" at them outside their property who did not even get charged.

Canadians can get non-resident CPLs from New Hampshire but it's only good in 20 or so states.
Sadly you Canucks let your government grab your guns and your rights in several areas. I'm hoping that never happens in the states. There is an important 2A case being considered by our supreme court as I write this which will be a bellweather for things to come.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
you know what makes me feel safe in my bus? good locks.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I had to think about this one as to firstly whether I even wanted to answer it and secondly if I did how would I address it. I overcame my own first objection and will deal with what I came up with.

This poster says things can be horrible but we shouldn't talk about them because it might be offensive. I'm quite sure this gentleman has no problem talking about the joys of skoolie life; the beautiful sunsets, the fuzzy bunny rabbits he saw, etc., but when it comes to the elephant in the room, nooooo.

I've been on many forums over the years and I've learned not to assume things about people and without being rude sir, your assumption that you have seen more death and destruction than anybody in the world including me is a mistake.

And then its hard to deal with such an emotional outburst logically. After seeing all that, are you for or against protecting yourself and your loved ones at home and on the road? All I heard was the emotions and could only guess at your logic. I don't ride around in my skoolie looking for people to shoot for crying out loud, which is how you make self protection sound, but I certainly know how to meet force with force and will NOT be a victim.

Other than that, I also appreciate your service but might recommend counseling as some of us have a harder time dealing with trauma than others.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
you know what makes me feel safe in my bus? good locks.
Ah yes. Keep yourself locked in your bus at all times. Good idea.

For anyone interested there are a ton of vids on YouTube about personal protection on the road, so talking about guns and others bear spray, etc.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
I'm okay with getting flamed on here by some, but know the OP's feelings on self protection while travelling are felt by a silent majority on here.
Some added tidbits to carry with the least opportunity for failure:

Never advertise you are carrying.

Being 110% sure any use of lethal protection is justified for the interaction occurring in the state it takes place in, is the key to staying out of prison after the fact.

Accurate shot placement to avoid "collateral damage" from multiple shots not hitting the intended target is muy importante'.

Hope to never have to think about anything above, ever, but also not burying one's head in the sand over one's personal safety out there on the road, or at home either...
Old 09-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #19
Bus Nut

You truly lack self awareness. Seriously guy? I never said I have seen more death than anyone. I said probably, which statistically is accurate. Statistically speaking I have probably seen more death than most on this forum but I don’t know or care. My point is that your language is abrasive unnecessarily. I hardly think it is news to you that the way you speak shows callous disregard for how you are received
by others. I don’t think that statistics support that victimization by violent people is the elephant in the room, for most people probably toilets and laundry are the elephant in the room. People who talk like you are the worst ambassadors for the 2A and the real tragedy in this thread is that people are hearing from gun owners like you and not gun owners like me. Yes I carry, Yes I burn 5-600 rounds a month in my carry gun alone Yes I have worn out carry guns with so much practice. Yes I carry USCCA insurance as well as an umbrella policy. Yes I have over 600 hours of training through various organizations on handguns alone. I am a 2A advocate, an FFL, an NRA instructor, and the owner of 63 firearms as of today. Spoiler alert: I am a “big gun guy” you are a hack who owns guns.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Guns are bad. I would never own one. I would never, ever even consider carrying one concealed when I travel...or whenever I leave home. Nor would my wife. During my 20 years as a police officer, I refused to carry a firearm and I relied on verbal judo to disarm those who would do me or others harm. And for the 11 years of that career, when I was also an active NRA police firearms instructor, I counseled fellow officers to leave their guns at home too.

I absolutely agree with Peteg59...never advertise that you're carrying. ISAF...remember that guns are bad. You, like I did, should dump all of yours offshore. Someday I might miss those, though...
Closed Thread