Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
GYM Memberships!

Heya!

Back when I started reading about skoolie life, I saw a lot of people saying they got a gym membership for free comfortable showers. I have to say at the beginning I was completely against the idea, my thinking was "Jesus, I'm going to be one of THOSE guys at the gym."
But that's in the past. I've decided to stop being a judgmental asshole about it and stick to reality, and realistically speaking I think a gym membership at least for the first few months of conversion would be a must for me. I've mentioned this a few times in the newbie's forum but I'll be converting my bus while living in it, which isn't a great idea but the only option I have.

So, anyway, assuming my itinerary is going to be flying to AZ to buy the bus, then driving cross country to NY, what would be the best gym membership to get? Hopefully one that's as widespread as possible, so I won't have an issue finding a local branch in random towns along the way and plan accordingly. Also not too expensive and actually a good for a work out - since I'm going to be at the gym anyways for showering, might as well use it as an excuse to work out. I'm not very particular, I'm usually big on free weights and bicycling, but I figure you could probably find that in any gym across the nation.

Thanks!

Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Planet Fitness is everywhere and $22 a month (at least I think it still is, haven't been myself in five months). Not much in the way of free weights, of course, and most of their equipment is pretty crappy, but the showers usually work.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Planet Fitness is everywhere and $22 a month (at least I think it still is, haven't been myself in five months). Not much in the way of free weights, of course, and most of their equipment is pretty crappy, but the showers usually work.
Yeah I've thought about it too. That's probably going to be the most obvious choice. What do you mean not much in the way of free weights? Like I don't wanna get picky, but is one weight bar and somewhere to do squats too much to as for these days? :P
Old 08-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Yeah I've thought about it too. That's probably going to be the most obvious choice. What do you mean not much in the way of free weights? Like I don't wanna get picky, but is one weight bar and somewhere to do squats too much to as for these days? :P
It's definitely too much to ask for at a PF, unless you consider a Smith machine to be "free weights".
Old 08-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
It's definitely too much to ask for at a PF, unless you consider a Smith machine to be "free weights".
Ah, man. No I don't consider it to be "free weights" cause, well, the weights aren't free :P but I guess I can't be too picky, maybe I'll just do ground work, some small weights curls and some bicycling then.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Ah, man. No I don't consider it to be "free weights" cause, well, the weights aren't free :P but I guess I can't be too picky, maybe I'll just do ground work, some small weights curls and some bicycling then.
They do have lots of small weights, and if you're lucky you'll grab a bike that is working and doesn't make too much of a grinding noise. Make sure the bike actually has a cupholder in place before setting your water bottle down - bottles dropping through to the floor is a regular and entertaining occurrence. I don't think people steal the cupholders but it's easy to pull up your water bottle with the cupholder still attached and go home with it.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Dammit, this is making me want to go to the gym, actually.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
Almost There

Quote:
They do have lots of small weights, and if you're lucky you'll grab a bike that is working and doesn't make too much of a grinding noise. Make sure the bike actually has a cupholder in place before setting your water bottle down - bottles dropping through to the floor is a regular and entertaining occurrence. I don't think people steal the cupholders but it's easy to pull up your water bottle with the cupholder still attached and go home with it.
Lol yeah there was one bike like that at my old gym and I fell for it (pun intended) at least once that I can remember. I'll make sure to watch out! XD
Old 08-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Adding to the consensus, planet fitness is your best bet as they are the most prolific. You have to get the black card membership which gives you nationwide access and most of them are in large enough locations to get a bus or RV in easily enough (although not always a semi truck but I have a card anyways). They are less prevalent in small towns though so you'll need to aim for cities or suburbs and then if your intention is to overnight in their lot be aware either the property owner or the city may prohibit that. As for the quality of their facilities, that can vary from one location to the next. My 'home' location seems pretty well stocked with free weights as well as plenty of machines so it may just depend on how much space they have to dedicate to each variety of equipment. I've also seen different responses to what the PF chain calls 'lunkheads' so this may determine how much free weights they offer if that location's franchisee is adamant about perpetuating that anti-heavyweight culture in their gym.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
Bus Geek

FWIW I think PF hates "lunkheads" because they're they sort of people who actually show up at the gym from time to time, and for no other reason. Even more than most gyms, their business model is to sign up a bunch of people who never go. I think I read that the average PF has something like 6000 members.