Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 30 + 2 WC
Ha! Legally too slow

I just got my MD registration card, and noticed something I found humorous. Apparently in MD ''A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway if the maximum speed capability of the vehicle does not exceed the posted speed limit for the highway by at least 5 miles per hour.'' The local freeway speed limit is 65, and my bus can only do 55 i don't think I'd actually get pulled over, but it would be kinda funny to get pulled over for going too slow

skoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoontz View Post
I just got my MD registration card, and noticed something I found humorous. Apparently in MD ''A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway if the maximum speed capability of the vehicle does not exceed the posted speed limit for the highway by at least 5 miles per hour.'' The local freeway speed limit is 65, and my bus can only do 55 i don't think I'd actually get pulled over, but it would be kinda funny to get pulled over for going too slow
I find it funny that you are required to be capable of speeding.
Gyrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:

Many freeways have 2 (or more) posted limits, the minimum and maximum speed limits (and in some areas, separate limits for trucks). It could be said that your bus is, in fact, capable of exceeding the minimum speed limit by at least 5 MPH.
Consider that many major trucking companies speed restrict their trucks to 65 or less and thousands pass through MD daily. None of them get ticketed for it, or else every major trucking company would be forced, by law, to turn up the truck speed limiter (and you know they aren't about to do that). Either that, or they have plenty of lawyers to fight that.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrkin View Post
I find it funny that you are required to be capable of speeding.
MD has the highest density of state troopers waiting to nab speedsters I've ever seen. Even funnier that this is the state that requires you to be able to speed.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

likely intention was

does not exceed the posted **minimum** speed limit for the highway
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
but it would be kinda funny to get pulled over for going too slow
NC state trooper pulled me over for doing 65 in a 65 zone, after following on my ass for 20 miles, waiting for me to make a mistake. "Why are you going so slow?" Pig. Really, he just didn't like my bumper sticker, and wanted to harass me. Serve & protect or harass & persecute? He didn't run my license number because he illegally pulled me over for no reason 1 mile from the state line. Once he saw I was a blue eyed white boy ..... no more problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
MD has the highest density of state troopers waiting to nab speedsters I've ever seen. Even funnier that this is the state that requires you to be able to speed.
Have you been to AZ? I see 5 cops driving though my home town (in 5 miles) in GA, 2 or 3 from there to AZ, then an AHP car every 10 miles thoughout AZ, and again 5 every 5 miles while in Phoenix or Tucson. Really, I see more cops total in AZ than in the entire rest of the US, including inner cities, when I travel around for months at a time.
But then I avoid the East Coast. Pigs (not cops) in Western MD pulled me over doing 74 in a 70 zone (F.ing cruise control was set at 68 ) on the steepest downhill slope on the highway, they threw away the constitution, and jailed me for exercising my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and tried to criminalize my freedom and medical condition. Sick the governments are out there where our country was founded.

Funny, the regions that are not "Police States" are the ones that I feel safe in, and there is no more "crime" there than anywhere else.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
As others have said, most freeways have a minimum speed limit as well as a max. This is to keep slow vehicles off of it, such as mopeds, bicycles, farm equipment, etc. All of those vehicles would be a hazard on there and dangerous to approach when you're 3x faster then they are.

Minimum speed limits are typically 30-50 mph. So you need to exceed that by 5 to legally be on there.