Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #61

Year: 2015
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 5.4L V8 SOHC 16V
I just bought a shuttle in NC and drove it home on Saturday to Vermont. No problems.

I do think that I should have asked more questions and asked for more pics. I asked about the tires and was told they were fair but they front ones were poor. I also started to prepared a list of questions which I wish I had finished.

jackpbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:43 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: Unsure.Handicap bus
I bought an 07 International Bluebird from a publicsurplus auction sight unseen from a school district. I dont think I would do the same from a private seller.
I got super lucky... Covid hit, and all the "old farts" (busyard guys words, not mine) who knew what that third pedal on the left was for retired. Nobody knew how to drive a manual so they retired it feom the fleet. 175k on the odom when I picked it up, drove half way across country with only a few problems along the way. Discovered the fuel gague was not accurate when it read a half tank and i ran it out of fuel on the highway. (Free Tip: Dont do that. Priming a dt 466e is a sumbich and takes about 30 minutes.) Caught a baseball to the windshield somewhere along the road, still havent found replacement glass. (Money is tight, haven't looked very hard) and my ABS light came on after I was parked on the beach and then high tide got REALLY high while I was sleeping. (Digging a bus out that sank into sand up to the frame is also not fun. Another free tip, sand in the wheels will throw your wheels so far out of balance they will THUNK at 25 mph and make you think you REALLY brome something.) Found 13 years of maintenence records inside the first aid box, and somebody's weed pipe and a dime bag crammed into a ripped seat cover.
Mr_Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geenie View Post
my ABS light came on after I was parked on the beach and then high tide got REALLY high while I was sleeping.
My ABS light has been on since the "welder" I hired to fix my floor cut away the floor section around my wheel wells. He presumably either cut one of the sensor wires or fried the box with his welding machine. My mechanic quoted me $6000 to replace the ABS module but also recommended that I not bother having it done. I think it could be fixed more cheaply but they have lots of work and didn't want to bother with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geenie View Post
Found 13 years of maintenence records inside the first aid box, and somebody's weed pipe and a dime bag crammed into a ripped seat cover.
That's the winner as far as finding stuff in a bus is concerned. High tide indeed.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Ruth and I have purchased two buses from the Gilbert School System in Phoenix AZ, through publicsurplus auctions. The first one we bought in July of 2019 is a 1998 International RE Amtrans. It had 142,000 miles on it. Auction said condition unknown. May need batteries or towed. We called Kent Rawlison the maintenance manager. He said, " it ran when we parked it." We got the bus for $1880.00 14,000 miles later we are so happy we want to buy a spare.... So we just bought a 2001 International RE Amtrans with 157,000 miles on it from Guess where. We got that one for 1425.00 or so. It's got a bunch of vandalized windows and the windshields are vandalized as well. No worries to us. Flat glass is cheap.

Both busses have the same engine T444E and Allison Transmissions. The one we are living in now has an Allison 5 speed automatic with a T handle selector, might be the AT 545. The new bus has the MD 3060

We haven't picked up the second bus yet but will let you know when we get it.

In my humble opinion, based on some experience over the years, large city school systems tend to have decent bus maintenance budgets.

If you are going to buy without physically inspecting, school systems not on the coast and not in road salt regions are best. Remediating rust is a real labor intensive pain in your backside.

Update: I drove the second bus home from Phoenix with the windshields removed wearing safety goggles. It was way over 100 degrees all the way home to Deming New Mexico. Other than felling like I was driving an air fryer no issues at all.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote