Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Has the bus market stagnated or is diesel cost scaring buyers?

Wow... As you know, I tried to help our local school sell a nice Blue Bird activity bus with a solid low-mileage drivetrain for what I think is a really low price ($2500). After getting no bites here I even (egads...) posted it in the FB skoolies for sale group.

I've got a friend (Simplicity) who just flew here to visit instead of bringing down his bus, because of the high diesels costs.

Are you all seeing that diesel cost is scaring buyers? Or has the end of COVID restrictions in most places, and back to work as normal for lots of folks, chilled the demand for mobile abodes? I've heard from a local dealer that RV demand has dropped a lot.

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i was at a tiny home show a couple of weeks ago and got that same feeling. first clue was the show was the first time my bus moved in a year or more.

i got more marriage proposals than i got how much is it questions.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i got more marriage proposals than i got how much is it questions.
Haha! Any viable ones?
Old 08-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Skoolies were the hot trend when everybody got itchy feet. Are impromptu marriages the new fad now that people are settling back down?
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Wow... As you know, I tried to help our local school sell a nice Blue Bird activity bus with a solid low-mileage drivetrain for what I think is a really low price ($2500). After getting no bites here I even (egads...) posted it in the FB skoolies for sale group.

I've got a friend (Simplicity) who just flew here to visit instead of bringing down his bus, because of the high diesels costs.

Are you all seeing that diesel cost is scaring buyers? Or has the end of COVID restrictions in most places, and back to work as normal for lots of folks, chilled the demand for mobile abodes? I've heard from a local dealer that RV demand has dropped a lot.
Anecdotally, there are a lot more 'for sale' posts than 'can't find a bus to save my soul' posts.

I'd say the market is softening but not crashing. Most of the for sale posts are very, very pricey for what they are selling, which leads me to believe some of the shine has faded and people who followed fashion and did the bus thing are now trying to cash out and move on to the next thing. My guess is this forum will see an increase in posts from people who bought one of those buses, and now has to rebuild it right!

Along with gas prices, expensive and difficult to find RV spots combined with less fear of getting Covid on a flight probably has something to do with it as well. Options are opening back up.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I kind of wish I had waited a year to take advantage of the current bus prices! I feel like I overpaid a bit for the bus I got. I still like it very much and it's the "devil I know", but shaving a couple grand off the purchase price would have helped.

For me, I'd love to use our bus more, but fuel cost is definitely a factor, plus I got so involved in purchasing parts for the bus build-out that I didn't save any money for trips. Now I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze another $2k into savings to take a long winter road trip. And that's just for fuel!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I think it’s more of the uncertainty of the economy. Fuel can climb to $10 a gallon but it will come down. It’s way below $5 a gallon for diesel by me. $4.67 as of today. As a contractor, I am seeing people retract from large renovation jobs. Commercial however is picking up. Couple that with the high cost of housing, food and whatever and you have less money for discretionary spending.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the camping honeymoon is over.. simply put was i not absolutely buried in monster size work projects id have spent most of the summer on the road in one or more of my busses despite the fuel costs..

the RV market is in the toilet too.. my buddy that sells RV's is starting to tell me that if i want one (yes id buy an RV before id convert my own bus.. just because im a *BUS* person and not really into building a camper.. cabinets and toilets and building tanks and storage and the like really isnt my thing..

anyway deals are starting to emerge as many people are not buying RV's and lots of good lightly used ones on the market..

people dont realize that there MUCH more to RVing than just park it in a lot and go drive away whenever you want.. properly putting your rig away is a Must, properly winterizing (when you live in ohio) is an absolute.. you need to store it where critters and wasps and ants wont invade it.. need to insure it, need to service it like a car (even if you dont drive it much).. and the list goes on.. the homneymoon of the first year or 2 where you can get away with just buy it and go is over now that various items need flushed, tightened, oiled, mayube fixed. etc etc...

I travel lots.. Flying.. this year ive had to fly a lot of places simply because driving there takes too long.. and the airports and hotels and tourist attracts and convention centers are a ZOO!! every flight is FULL.. hotels are SOLD OUT days in advance.. people have gone back to traditional venues.. disney world, epcot. DC, san francisco, Vegas.. all PACKED... regardless of whether you are still a Covfraider or a Covenier the one thing thats true is people are over it and going out..

the idea of buying a bus and converting it at home was HUGE for a few reasons..
pre covid - Youtube.. Youtube and cable TV were all over with tiny house and "I live in a bus" stories.. every one of them made it sound so easy.. go buy a bus and in a month you magically have a dream tiny-hone, camper, etc..

Covid - you are stuck at home anyway.. well heck buy a bus and build it together as a family.. and then go out in it. no owrries if restaraunts are closed or you dont want to mask up or are concerned for an elderly family member.. it was the greatest idea to build a akoolie and go...

Post 2020.. so many schools sold their spare busses and iddnt replace them in 2020 that all the sudden in-person schools went back.. and districts kept their older busses (you may very well not get parts for the newer ones.. and any orders you place are likely stuck in supply chain BS).. the sending the price of used busses soaring even higher...

Now the big 3 are churning out busses like crazy.. the skoolie youtube honeymoon has turned into an old Bat.. im seeing more and more busses for sale.. and decent ones going for good prices simply becayse the number of bidders isnt supper high... for some reason i also dont see the number of exporters I did a few years ago.. not sure if they are not buying or are hung up in covid-travel-restrictions?

not sure.. but I do know that I miss travelling the country by bus rather than by plane.. but I surely wont complain about how busy we are because thats a good thing.. I'll have Lots of Hotel points so if I can get away soon I may be buying diesel but my hotels will all be FREE!..

that said, at least I did find time to Air-Condition my Old Superior so ive been enjoying driving that around the city and on short in-state Jaunts this year.. I hadnt been driving it much in summer.. and of course its stored away for the winter season.. I really just dont find cruising around in a roasting hot bus fun.. so the A/C has been a major improvement!! Now i have to find the time to fix the air conditioner in my house.. wel replace one of my units.. ha! but alas an all-expenses-paid first class trip to a monster disney 5 star resort! (all I have to do is fix their crapped out network and put a new phone system in )
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:42 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post

Hello all
I have been following Ross’s efforts to assist the school board with selling those buses and am really surprised at the lack of interest in what is obviously a quality bus at a great price (even considered it for myself). I think the fuel cost is definitely a factor in the slow down in sales but there may be many other things at play as well. Rucker mentioned RV site availability and that is a real thing here in BC, our provincial camp sites are all by reservation and our gov has sold off huge blocks of reservations to resellers marketing them to foreign travelers, it’s so bad that you need to book a year in advance if you can find something and many locals are actually renting private property by the year just to have a place to park their campers. I recently cancelled my planned Sept trip due to the expected 2400 km’s and associated fuel cost but will try and plan something closer.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Just seeing this thread

Let me put it to you this way
Strap in and hang. Elkhart Indiana has crashed hard. Almost as hard as 08.
The overpriced vehicle market cars trucks buses rv. Is coming back into reality. Nothing political just hang on for the next year or election cycle.
I would be interested in the blue bird if i knew about it
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Just seeing this thread

Let me put it to you this way
Strap in and hang. Elkhart Indiana has crashed hard. Almost as hard as 08.
The overpriced vehicle market cars trucks buses rv. Is coming back into reality. Nothing political just hang on for the next year or election cycle.
I would be interested in the blue bird if i knew about it
Yeppers you re iterate whet my RV salesman buddy says.. I might start looking for deals here (Ohio ) in the fall when the weather changes and RVs typically go down anyway….

My storage unit in 20,21 was abuzz with RVs I hadn’t seen move in years being used and fixed up.. in 22 really not many moved at all and doesnt look like people even came to check on them.. flat tires and beeping battery alarms all over…
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Thor will take from November to January off at its plants
Grand design will do very similar but are paying their employees over unemployment benefits buy a bit and also maintaining their health insurance.
Forest river is taking several weeks off over the next few months. And already laying people offf.
Coachman. Haven’t heard through the grapevine on them but imagine the same or similar. What does this mean ? Well in this area of the country it means lots of people “looking for work “. They won’t.
Layoffs at several other’s factories has happened
Old 08-13-2022, 04:41 PM   #13

I think you may see the interest come back for skoolie a and such as mortgage interest rates sky rocket, many won’t be able to afford their homes, but sadly possibly won’t have money for A skoolie either...
shannondoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:51 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannondoa View Post
I think you may see the interest come back for skoolie a and such as mortgage interest rates sky rocket, many won’t be able to afford their homes, but sadly possibly won’t have money for A skoolie either...
Paid mine off lol
Old 08-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Thanks, all, for the perspectives and input. On a related note, the Blue Bird activity bus did sell just last week. The buyer drove it home to Florida without issue (right on!). For $2500 it was a good deal, even in this depressed market.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
Skoolie

I think people are just backing off for the moment while the fuel prices have spiked.
This year I shortened my yearly vacation trip and drove my car instead of taking the RV and Jeep.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Our local RV dealer has everything on sale. And it is not moving. Looks like 2007-2008 all over. I hope not but...
Old 08-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Looks like 2007-2008 all over. I hope not but...
As far as house prices are concerned, I sure hope it's 2008 all over again since I'm looking to buy.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:09 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Thor will take from November to January off at its plants
Grand design will do very similar but are paying their employees over unemployment benefits buy a bit and also maintaining their health insurance.
Forest river is taking several weeks off over the next few months. And already laying people offf.
Coachman. Haven’t heard through the grapevine on them but imagine the same or similar. What does this mean ? Well in this area of the country it means lots of people “looking for work “. They won’t.
Layoffs at several other’s factories has happened
I wonder if the price of water and propane tanks will drop as a result?

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:27 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Our local RV dealer has everything on sale. And it is not moving. Looks like 2007-2008 all over. I hope not but...
Since the markup (to get to MSRP) on a unit that cost the dealers $30k , is $30K Everything is always on sale.

Very hard for me to feel sorry for the dealers.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote