Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
Bus Nut

An hour away you are probably looking at about $1500. for a tow.

If you bought a bus with the seats out, AAA RV Plus - $200. They say you must have water and a bed = 5gal jug and a sleeping bag.

ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Anyone have a bus towed from an auction or anywhere for that matter? Curious how much a tow would be. Its about an hour from the auction house to the location I have to store it. In these times its hard to tell if they are drivable an I'd like to be prepared if I got one an it needed a tow.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Hello

I used my AAA RV. You must have AAA RV for a certain amount days prior towing if it is a new policy. It goes by miles not hours. I had to tow my bus because I had no registration or insurance on it yet.
L.be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
They were gov busses aside from some scratches on the bumpers that had rust they didn't look bad. Tough though with covid they dont let you see them in person first, all internet bidding.
Rust is like rats. For every little bit you see you can expect there's a lot more hidden. You got visible rest in the bumpers really I guarantee you there's a lot more.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I had a friend haul it home on a lowboy. However on one of the first trips with it we broke down 40 miles from home. $600 to tow it home.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Any!
Coachwork: Self!
Chassis: Crown or Gillig!
Engine: Cummins 855, 400 HP or more!
Rated Cap: 36,000 GVRW
Quote:
Anyone have a bus towed from an auction or anywhere for that matter? Curious how much a tow would be. Its about an hour from the auction house to the location I have to store it. In these times its hard to tell if they are drivable an I'd like to be prepared if I got one an it needed a tow.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Because I work in the industry, I have friends in the Towing Business. When I finally asked for help, he said, "My hourly plus how much fuel it takes. All totaled including 1434 miles, and lunch, $1,500.00. In the SFBA I consider this a favor, most other companies will do a Contract Tow starting at $1,500.00 and going up with mileage @ $3.00 per mile! Considering it requires an over size permit and or a Lowboy Flatbed Loading, this is very reasonable. If you are equipped to remove front tires/rims and your driveshaft and do so before they arrive (The tires after the lift!), so they can run lower to the ground, save time and not get dirty , this helps if you are getting a 'Hook' Tow (towed from the front!)
BigPaul367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
2005 amtran RE

I just bought a second bus and had it towed since it was sold as a non runner.
I got quotes as high a $175 hookup, $75 to pull the axle and $7 a mile after that.
The best deal I was able to get was a simple $7 a mile for 50 miles, $350 bucks.

Great deal that was untill... when the driver pulled out of the County Scholl bus yard he destroyed the entrance steps.

Basically he should have used taller forks and raised the wheel lift up another 2-3 inches and there would have been no damage.

So I only paid $700 for the bus, the tow was supposed to be $350 but the tow guy didn't charge for the tow.
I opted not to put in a claim on his insurance because in reality it is not that bad of a repair.

So the bus is rust free, other than the door, nice straight clean body, a/c, dt466e with an Md3060.

Non runner because coolant got mixed with the oil, looks like a real thick milkshake!

So if your having your bus towed, make sure the wheel lift is at least 3-4 inches from the bottom of your front bumper!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2919.jpg   IMG_2918.jpg   IMG_2927.jpg   IMG_2945.jpg  
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
That sucks ewo. Did they make it right for you?
Old 09-11-2020, 12:32 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Chris

I asked a big rig tow truck driver that question a couple of years ago in Las Vegas and he told me that long distance tows were 3-4 dollars a mile
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
That sucks ewo. Did they make it right for you?
Well kinda, sorta...the driver was going to have to pay for it out of his pocket as it would not meet the company insurance deductible.
Since I am also in the business and know the owner of the other company we let it go at a free tow.

Quite honestly it looks worse than it is. I can remove the door which were not damaged and remove the door frame. That needs to be bent back and maybe a little welding.
The actual stairwell, 5lb hammer and some new welds and it should be good to go.

So in the end I got a damn nice bus, that needs an inframe (no big deal) for super dirt cheap.
I initially bought it for parts, has the bigger eprom TCU for unlocking the trans, spare md3060 to boot for my bus and the a/c system. all six tires are at 60-70% tread left!
These alone were well worth what I paid for the bus.

In the end though I think I am not gonna part it out and do the inframe.
This chassis has ZERO rust! Not bad for a Florida bus!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote