Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Headlight problem

During our recent trip across the state of Iowa on RAGBRAI, we encountered a problem with our headlights. Whenever we switch to the low beams, the headlights go off completely. The high beams still work fine, just no low.

Any thoughts on a problem? Could one low beam headlight burning out cause both to go out, or could we be looking at a problem in the switch?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
My frist thing that comes to my mind is a ground problem.... Get a jumper wire and hook it to the frame and then to the ground wire on the back of the headlight then see if they work right..
Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Bus Geek

headlights are wired in paralell, not series. One burned out light should have no effect on the other. Also, since the lights work properly in High Beam mode, it's probably not a ground.

i would use a test light or volt meter to measure current going through the low beam wire at one of the headlights. It's most likely not getting any current.

if no current at the headlight, i'd check for current at the hi/low beam switch. If there is current on the low beam side of the switch, the problem is in the wire between the switch and the headlight....

if there is no current at the low beam side of the switch, the switch is your problem.

I have my money on the switch being bad.......
Old 08-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I would also guess a grounding problem. I have worked on a lot of old cars and that is usually the problem.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #5

Re: Headlight problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfsfn2
During our recent trip across the state of Iowa on RAGBRAI, we encountered a problem with our headlights. Whenever we switch to the low beams, the headlights go off completely. The high beams still work fine, just no low.

Any thoughts on a problem? Could one low beam headlight burning out cause both to go out, or could we be looking at a problem in the switch?

Any help is appreciated!
Don't dismiss the chance that both high beams are burned out. More common than one would think. One goes out and isn't noticed , then the other one goes out.
Garry
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Thanks for the advice! I checked it out this weekend, turns out there was a loose wire going into the floor switch. Added a new connector and all is well!