Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Well those two charts sure look a lot different! I guess it's all just how you want to spin it.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can spin a washing machine backwards or forward.. doesnt matter the result is the same the water gets extracted.. spin is just spin.. doesnt change the facts
Old 06-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
I don’t have a problem with people protesting if they feel there is a social injustice. I have a problem with rioting and looting. That doesn’t make me support you, that makes me think you are a fool. How is destroying businesses and stealing from your community a good way to protest against police violence?

Does racism exist? Yes,absolutely. I see it every day. Is this the way to solve it? I doubt it. Where is all the outrage when young black men are being killed by other black men in Chicago or anywhere else?

If you want to help end racism protest peacefully, go into neighborhoods and help people, start programs to help youth, set up food banks in underprivileged areas, help ALL races. Only when you become actively involved in a meaningful way can you help. Violence and looting aren’t the answer.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchywoman View Post
I don’t have a problem with people protesting if they feel there is a social injustice. I have a problem with rioting and looting. That doesn’t make me support you, that makes me think you are a fool. How is destroying businesses and stealing from your community a good way to protest against police violence?

Does racism exist? Yes,absolutely. I see it every day. Is this the way to solve it? I doubt it. Where is all the outrage when young black men are being killed by other black men in Chicago or anywhere else?

If you want to help end racism protest peacefully, go into neighborhoods and help people, start programs to help youth, set up food banks in underprivileged areas, help ALL races. Only when you become actively involved in a meaningful way can you help. Violence and looting aren’t the answer.
Exactly! What she said.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
can't help but notice some of the folks really eager to get into politics are newer members who have joined in the last few months.
The rest of us have met in person a lot of the time and thus things stay more civil. Just an observation.
So now you're admitting to the Good 'ol Boys club and us newbies are the outsiders. I would be more than happy to sit down across the table from you and have this conversation. In fact, I hope to one day join up in some of these bus gettogethers. That's if I am welcome since I haven't been on this site since the beginning. Just because I am new to this site doesn't mean I am unexperienced and don't have anything useful to input to the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
My apologies -- I did indeed misspeak -- did not convey very well at all what I meant -- it happens...

This is the chart I was thinking of regarding rate of death during a police encounter...

It's an example of white privilege where the outcome is death for the non-white...

Attachment 45237
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
About 1 in 1000 black men and boys in America can expect to die at the hands of police. That risk is 2.5 times higher than for white males.

Which of course is ridiculously high across the board.

We just are expected to accept that situation!

Like thousands of deaths from Covid every day

has become "the new normal."
What this all boils down to is a lack of self discipline. It stems from a major lack of discipline in the home. It stems from a lack of a 2 parent home. When a single parent is away from home and the children are left to take care of themselves, trouble is more likely to ensue. I can't find the studies to back this, but it is not my theory. It is proven numbers. It is not always the case. Just like having a stable 2 parent home is not a guarantee. Ted Bundy is the perfect example of that. However, years ago I was in a class where I work. We did a self initiated study of the men housed in our institution. At the time we had a weekly average of 1200 inmates. Not taking into account the ethnic breakdown, about 950 of these inmates came from a single parent home. When we broke the numbers down into additional categories there were some very interesting numbers. There are 7 ethnic categories, 52% of the 1200 inmates were African American, that leaves only 48% for the other 6 ethnicities. Of the 52%, 95% of them came from single parent homes. 100% of that number were here for violent crime. (This is Nevada's only maximum security prison, so about 95% of our inmates are here for violent crime.) Of that 52%, 68% of that number was violence against their own race. (That also is about the typical percentage for each race housed here.) This is just my personal observation after spending 19 years working at this Maximum Security Prison.

In the end, it still almost always falls back to a lack of respect for the laws governing our society. A lack of discipline, and more so a lack of self-discipline.

Quote:
Newsflash: if your white, black, yellow, blue, whatever, and you have an encounter with law enforcement: be polite, courteous, kind, and most of all, cooperative. If you're these things, and you've done no wrong, possess nothing illegal, and have nothing to hide, guess what? You'll live to tell the tale. If you're disrespectful, disobedient, and make an ass out of yourself, you can expect the treatment that goes with that behavior.

An ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure. Opt to not break the law, and you too will find you've not got to worry about law enforcement. Whether your white, black, red, yellow, blue. It matters not.

I strongly agree with Sraycwb. However I do know there have been incidents where racism has been the key factor in the death of a citizen at the hands of law enforcement. But it goes all directions from all ethnicities. And, that is totally wrong.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
So now you're admitting to the Good 'ol Boys club and us newbies are the outsiders. I would be more than happy to sit down across the table from you and have this conversation. In fact, I hope to one day join up in some of these bus gettogethers. That's if I am welcome since I haven't been on this site since the beginning. Just because I am new to this site doesn't mean I am unexperienced and don't have anything useful to input to the conversation.

Come on, man. He's just frustrated with the bickering in general, and you can see it. I don't like the wording used, but I have no doubts whatsoever that he means well.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

What this all boils down to is a lack of self discipline. It stems from a major lack of discipline in the home. It stems from a lack of a 2 parent home. When a single parent is away from home and the children are left to take care of themselves, trouble is more likely to ensue. I can't find the studies to back this, but it is not my theory. It is proven numbers. It is not always the case. Just like having a stable 2 parent home is not a guarantee. Ted Bundy is the perfect example of that. However, years ago I was in a class where I work. We did a self initiated study of the men housed in our institution. At the time we had a weekly average of 1200 inmates. Not taking into account the ethnic breakdown, about 950 of these inmates came from a single parent home. When we broke the numbers down into additional categories there were some very interesting numbers. There are 7 ethnic categories, 52% of the 1200 inmates were African American, that leaves only 48% for the other 6 ethnicities. Of the 52%, 95% of them came from single parent homes. 100% of that number were here for violent crime. (This is Nevada's only maximum security prison, so about 95% of our inmates are here for violent crime.) Of that 52%, 68% of that number was violence against their own race. (That also is about the typical percentage for each race housed here.) This is just my personal observation after spending 19 years working at this Maximum Security Prison.

In the end, it still almost always falls back to a lack of respect for the laws governing our society. A lack of discipline, and more so a lack of self-discipline.

I strongly agree with Sraycwb. However I do know there have been incidents where racism has been the key factor in the death of a citizen at the hands of law enforcement. But it goes all directions from all ethnicities. And, that is totally wrong.

This forum used to be a hotbed of political BS and lots of us have worked HARD over the years to make this a forum for ALL>
Old 06-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
This forum used to be a hotbed of political BS and lots of us have worked HARD over the years to make this a forum for ALL>
I absolutely respect that and the work you went through to clean it up. I have left other forums for the same reasons. I will never start a political discussion with anyone because most of the people I interact with don't share political views quite the same way I do. Being in the work environment that I am in for the last 19 years has changed my viewpoint a lot. However, I will never back down from a discussion someone else starts, especially when my own personal experiences can shed a different light on the topic of discussion. "Walk a mile in a mans shoes..." Most of the general population of this country can't last a full year doing what I do because of the effects it has on your psyche. Most Americans turn a blind eye to what goes on inside the fences of our prisons because it's just too horrible to comprehend. Seeing that for so many years does change every person who makes it this long. Makes it hard to just sit back and keep my mouth shut when society goes sideways like it is right now and everybody has an opinion. Opinions are fine, but most of the time they are based on "What I heard" or "I read on Google" most people will not fact check things before repeating them. This leads to massive amounts of mis-information and slanted opinions. I have always told my kids "Excuses are like A** H**es, everyone has one and they all stink, but opinions are like arm pits, everyone has 2, and they all stink!"
Old 06-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd just hate to see us hash out too much political bs here then end up with a "red" and "blue" side at the next Swarm.

Since we're talking police, prison, and riots I'll throw in my experience with law enforcement-

Was a waiter at Olive Garden in college. My ex-wife and I got pulled over leaving work. Said my tail light was out, but it was working. Got us out of the car and the two male officers performed a body cavity search on my ex-wife. They even took turns. Penetrated her anally and vaginally EACH. Also grabbed her breasts and looked under them twice.
Made a complaint at the police station and was laughed at and told that I was complaining about their officer of the year and then they started intimidating me... basically wanted me to fight one of them. Those were officers Green and Thornton of Leesburg PD in Florida. I love telling their names at least so maybe someone out there knows there are two pervert cops now working mall duty where they access to teen girls.

Another run-in involved the cops planting weed on me when they couldn't find any. Roughed me up, detained me unlawfully, then we sat while they "found" the evidence in a place I never was. Then they wrote fictitious reports up that had me doing things I'd never done. I got to spend 30 days in jail for a roach they dug out of some public park trashcan 200 yards from me. Cost me $500 to bail out. Court case... judge offered me 2 years probation, $1000 fine, court costs, 40 hours community service, and a 10 week drug interdiction course coupled with AA/NA. I asked how much jail time. They said 30 days. That was all after I'd gotten a lawyer. They were initially offering me a YEAR in jail. For a roach I hadn't even smoked. I did my 30 days. I was given very poor quality food, only allowed into the rec yard once in the 30 days. I now test positive for TB exposure thanks to "southern justice".

I'm a white middle class guy from a good family. I couldn't imagine being a young black person dealing with those same evil, lying cops.

My brother was a prison guard. He died after his first shift. Fell asleep behind the wheel on his way home. My aunt is a CO at a jail in AL. She's nuts though and thinks the guys in there really like her. She also thinks covid is 100% fake. I doubt the inmates share her optimism on the virus. I'd HATE to be locked up anywhere right now!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I absolutely respect that and the work you went through to clean it up. I have left other forums for the same reasons. I will never start a political discussion with anyone because most of the people I interact with don't share political views quite the same way I do. Being in the work environment that I am in for the last 19 years has changed my viewpoint a lot. However, I will never back down from a discussion someone else starts, especially when my own personal experiences can shed a different light on the topic of discussion. "Walk a mile in a mans shoes..." Most of the general population of this country can't last a full year doing what I do because of the effects it has on your psyche. Most Americans turn a blind eye to what goes on inside the fences of our prisons because it's just too horrible to comprehend. Seeing that for so many years does change every person who makes it this long. Makes it hard to just sit back and keep my mouth shut when society goes sideways like it is right now and everybody has an opinion. Opinions are fine, but most of the time they are based on "What I heard" or "I read on Google" most people will not fact check things before repeating them. This leads to massive amounts of mis-information and slanted opinions. I have always told my kids "Excuses are like A** H**es, everyone has one and they all stink, but opinions are like arm pits, everyone has 2, and they all stink!"
Wow! Sounds like you speak from some real world experience, imagine that.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

come on along!! I was a Newbie once too.. dont fret from coming to a bus get together because of a conversation on this board.. bring your bus or just bring yourself.. the get togethers are always a really fun time!!
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #52
Site Team

OK folks... This thread started with a Skoolie but rapidly descended into politically charged rhetoric; it has been closed. This is a skoolie board and while off topic discussions are fine, political topics and posts are not. We share an interest in Skoolies in common but often little else. Let's stick to that.

Just a reminder that political topics and topics about religion are not allowed anywhere on the forum. They are simply too divisive for the community.

Thanks for understanding.