Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Help identifying my skoolie make and model :)

Hey I’m struggling to completely identify the exact make and model of my International Wayne.
It’s 1983 and a 9.0L Diesel engine.

Am I right in saying it’s an S bus? A 2800.
When on spares websites I’m completely lost. Any help appreciated. Here’s a photo
Attached Thumbnails
D2D0F1C7-D308-485B-8B67-775DA4C309EA.jpg  

CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
can we get a side view picture of the bus body?
especially in those years the chassis and body were two different manufacturers.
example. for me ford sent a complete rolling chassis with motor and hood,fender,grill and no body to Thomas and Thomas put there body onto the ford chassis.
some might can tell by looking at the frontal picture you shared but the body picture will tell alot more because each body manufacturer did things a little different and still do up to today kind of like my 86 thomas body tapers in to the roof starting at the bottom of the windows.
maybe a picture of the dashboard also.
pictures will help us help you get more than just this question answered when you have questions or issues
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
disregard.
just found the bootlegger build.
looking good.
hopefully someone will be along this afternoon to help identify its model for you.
you said Freightliner and wayne no expert but i am going to say a thomas bus body
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCousins View Post
Hey I’m struggling to completely identify the exact make and model of my International Wayne.
It’s 1983 and a 9.0L Diesel engine.

Am I right in saying it’s an S bus? A 2800.
When on spares websites I’m completely lost. Any help appreciated. Here’s a photo
Wayne Lifeguard most likely.

Cool old bus. As obsolete as that 9.0 engine is here I'd imagine parts availability is pretty scant to none over there.

Cool to know there's a "Pompey School Bus Yank Tank" lol
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am pretty sure in 1983 it would be an S1800 not S2800. International is the builder of the chassis and cowl/hood (bonnet in English) with drivetrain, Wayne is just the body from the windshield back.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:12 AM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Wayne Lifeguard most likely.

Cool old bus. As obsolete as that 9.0 engine is here I'd imagine parts availability is pretty scant to none over there.

Cool to know there's a "Pompey School Bus Yank Tank" lol
Haha, I’m dreading the day it ever needs significant parts, I did manage to source a new steering box from the states however, nothing engine wise! Are you from Portsmouth?!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:12 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I am pretty sure in 1983 it would be an S1800 not S2800. International is the builder of the chassis and cowl/hood (bonnet in English) with drivetrain, Wayne is just the body from the windshield back.
Thanks I’ll try looking around with that!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:59 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...s_(bus_chassis)

Yours will be either an S1753 or S1853. The S denoting "Schoolmaster", the 17 or 18 prefix denoting the lighter or heavier duty chassis, respectively, and 23 or 53 suffix denoting gas or diesel engines, respectively. An S1853-FC is a "flat-front" bus (no hood/bonnet) of the same year ranges (FC denoting "Forward Controls").

The 9.0 engine ended production at the end of 1987, as it could not meet emissions standards beginning in '88 (same for the 6.9; it was re-engineered into the 7.3 which did meet the '88 emissions and remained in production, with updates, through '04). Early years of the 9.0 were plagued with head gasket issues but these were later resolved and many were updated under warranty (and many more during their careers). Whatever you do, *NEVER* let one overheat! Keep it cool and drive it within its limits (which includes not cranking up the power or RPM's) and they'll run for ages.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:06 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Haha, I’m dreading the day it ever needs significant parts, I did manage to source a new steering box from the states however, nothing engine wise! Are you from Portsmouth?!

If and when it comes to needing major engine work, you may find it far easier and cheaper to refit another engine like a T444. The 9.0 has been out of production for over 30 years, good luck with many parts for it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:08 AM   #10
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post

Yours will be either an S1753 or S1853. The S denoting "Schoolmaster", the 17 or 18 prefix denoting the lighter or heavier duty chassis, respectively, and 23 or 53 suffix denoting gas or diesel engines, respectively. An S1853-FC is a "flat-front" bus (no hood/bonnet) of the same year ranges (FC denoting "Forward Controls").

The 9.0 engine ended production at the end of 1987, as it could not meet emissions standards beginning in '88 (same for the 6.9; it was re-engineered into the 7.3 which did meet the '88 emissions and remained in production, with updates, through '04). Early years of the 9.0 were plagued with head gasket issues but these were later resolved and many were updated under warranty (and many more during their careers). Whatever you do, *NEVER* let one overheat! Keep it cool and drive it within its limits (which includes not cranking up the power or RPM's) and they'll run for ages.
Gotcha, that’s very helpful! Thanks
Old 11-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
If and when it comes to needing major engine work, you may find it far easier and cheaper to refit another engine like a T444. The 9.0 has been out of production for over 30 years, good luck with many parts for it.
Yeah funnily enough have already been reading about potential swaps and that looks like a good substitute, was also looking at the potential Cummins 6BT engine as they were in a lot of British Trucks and tons of spare engines over here, but would require a lot of work to get it to suit I would imagine... the current engines only done 80k miles but like you say something that doesn’t have many parts kicking about we need to have a contingency.
I see there are a lot of T444 engines and boxes on EBay over in the states.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
No not from Portsmouth. But I know a bit about its history and that the folks there call it Pompey.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #13
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No not from Portsmouth. But I know a bit about its history and that the folks there call it Pompey.
Haha must admit that made me smile when I read it as that’s such a locals name for the city, being on a American forum didn’t quite expect it! Small world
Old 11-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Quote:

I see the "s" designation on pretty much all international vehicles of that era. I don't think it specifically stands for "schoolmaster", bit what do I know?)
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have a 1980 International dump truck, and it has right on the hood S1700. I am not up on nomenclature for the "S" series trucks and buses, however the older "Loadstar" series like my bus have 1700 loadstar on the badge, same as the trucks. Although the line setting ticket says 1703. the 3 designates school bus chassis. I believe this practice does carry over to the "S" series, but can not say with authority that it does.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote