Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: International
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Help leveling a parked skoolie....

Hello friends, so my skoolie has been parked and used as storage for two years but now I want to start using it as an office space. It isn't very level though and I really don't know how to fix this! The nose is probably two feet lower than the rear end. How can I get it up onto blocks (if blocks are even safe for that matter) or raise up the nose/lower the rear without having to buy big heavy duty ramps and/or dig a big hole for the rear tires? I've been at a loss for this for two years but now I really need the bus and need to get this figured out. The bus runs fine so moving it is not a problem. Thanks in advance.
Jamie

jwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilcox View Post
Hello friends, so my skoolie has been parked and used as storage for two years but now I want to start using it as an office space. It isn't very level though and I really don't know how to fix this! The nose is probably two feet lower than the rear end. How can I get it up onto blocks (if blocks are even safe for that matter) or raise up the nose/lower the rear without having to buy big heavy duty ramps and/or dig a big hole for the rear tires? I've been at a loss for this for two years but now I really need the bus and need to get this figured out. The bus runs fine so moving it is not a problem. Thanks in advance.
Jamie
you only have to lift the front wheels one foot if you put the rear wheels in a one foot deep hole
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Here in Southwestern Oregon, we have to watch out that we don't create a sinkhole from doing something like this, but you might be safer from sinkholes in Texas.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Hurricane season notwithstanding...
Sinkholes in FL can be a killer, tho!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Well I'm out in AZ now and from what I know sinkholes aren't really a problem here....we did dig out a depression for the real wheels and that helped...we just want to make sure we can still drive the bus out so the hole can't get too deep obviously. So this idea is a great start....still working on it though since it is such a big difference in height.

Tomorrow I will rent a heavy duty jack to see what we can do with the front end.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
Bus Nut

We had quite a few sinkholes around here this spring, including some fairly spectacular holes in state highways causing multiple injury accidents. The weekend after I brought the bus here to the coast, it rained almost 7 inches in less than 48 hours.

The place where the bus is parked was cut into a sidehill, originally starting with an after school project that went on for a while when my brother and I spent a few hours a week for a few weeks digging with shovels and a wheelbarrow to make a spot to turn around after backing out of the garage. I think I was 14 and he was 12, so that's been a while.

After the big rain in early April I went poking around with a crowbar looking for subterranean holes anywhere near where the bus was parked. I didn't find any, so the bus is still there.

Oh, and I should point out that when I was poking crowbar holes in the dirt near the bus, I was very careful not to make any holes near near enough to the dripline that they got the runoff. That would just be inviting trouble.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Hurricane season notwithstanding...
Sinkholes in FL can be a killer, tho!
We have those in Philly, too. In the 19th century they rerouted many of the creeks into sewers and then filled the beds (poorly) and built gridded neighborhoods over them. Now the old creeks are reappearing on maps in the form of collapsed houses and streets.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Would something like this be adaptable enough to work?

Always thought this was an interesting idea. Is it adaptable to your situation?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN9770.jpg   DSCN9777.jpg   DSCN9778.jpg   DSCN9783.jpg  
Laeka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Here on the Oregon Coast these sinkholes happen near the meeting point of sunami flood plains and the slowly uprising coastal plateau that the flood plains slowly and inexorably cut into.

I've long seen it as life in an earthquake zone. That awareness came onto me rather quickly one Saturday morning in the spring of 1964, when my father forced me to get up early and go fishing with him, on a rock sticking out into the Pacific.

Earlier that morning there were 7, as I remember it, people who were drowned in their tents in a state park about 3 miles from where we were fishing. There was no radio in my dad's pickup, so we didn't know any of this.

What we got hit with while we were out there on that rock was a lower intensity wave from an aftershock. If my dad had not been paying attention to the incoming waves we would have been washed off that rock. He told me to run like hell and I did.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Oh my, those look amazing! Now to find someone to build them for me ����
Old 08-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Looks like we are going to go the route of digging out a depression for the rear wheels. Plan is to create something gradual so that we can still drive the bus in and out of the driveway. Skips the hassle of having to buy a big jack and/or make tall ramps. So now to hire a laborer who doesn't mind a good big of digging 😉
Old 08-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
May be easier to install a VTOL system...
Old 08-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
Almost There

I cut 3/4 ply and doubled it up wider and longer than the tires to distribute the load.
you can carve out ramps for the back wheels add in the ply to support both front and rear. It will stay put after that. Issue is being able to move it in or out and jacking is a hassle. If its rolled into the slots you make in the back it can be driven or pulled out easily
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #14

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24v
Rated Cap: 82
Have you considered heavy duty swivel jack stands connected to the frame on 4 corners?
Rumroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I did jenga style cribbing out of 4x4 lumber closely spaced. Seems strong and sturdy. Each layer is 3.5” of height.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
Bus Nut

A word of caution for people thinking of something like this. Wood will eventually break down under compression. The spacing for something like this would have to be very close to spread out the load as widely as possible. And all wood is not created equally when it comes to strength. Obviously, the harder the wood the more compression it can stand.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
A word of caution for people thinking of something like this. Wood will eventually break down under compression. The spacing for something like this would have to be very close to spread out the load as widely as possible. And all wood is not created equally when it comes to strength. Obviously, the harder the wood the more compression it can stand.
Worst-case scenario here: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...th-d_1480.html is wet pine at 223 psi, which is 32,000 pounds per square foot. So I'd need to rest my 16,000-pound bus on half a square foot of wood to have a compression problem, and I imagine pressure-treated wood is quite a bit more resistant to pressure than is wet pine. It's true that after some years it would eventually become a problem.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Pine tends to be fairly strong with rot resistance I suppose you could probably you might call moderate or close. Here in the PNW where trees grow fast there are a number of species that are much weaker than pine and much more rot prone. I tend to be overcautious about things like this.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Wood doesn’t last forever, but using lumber like this is extremely strong. If you don’t do anything obviously stupid this will support a huge amount of weight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_crib

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Well, doing "stupid" things is exactly my point. Over the years I've seen several people who I did not think were unintelligent do things related to crawling under vehicles that I personally considered highly unsafe.

Tags
level, leveling, ramp, unlevel