Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help me make a hard decision

Hey! Long time lurker and finally about to pull the trigger on a bus. I canít wait!!

So. I live in Southern California and I am looking for a 4-6 window van front shorty. I am okay with the 7.3, 6.0 gas, or even the duramax if the price is right.

However, I am struggling between buying local vs buying auction. The busses near me regularly go for 8-10k. The same (assumed) busses on auction sites can go for as low as 2-4K. I realize I would have to drive it back, and I donít know exactly what Iím getting, but it sure is enticing.

What do you think? Dish out 8-10k on something I can check out in person, or take the risk of an auction? Side note: I have tried to buy directly from the districts that sell to these local ďdealersĒ but I am striking out left and right. Any advice on breaking through to the districts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_theferret View Post
Hey! Long time lurker and finally about to pull the trigger on a bus. I canít wait!!

So. I live in Southern California and I am looking for a 4-6 window van front shorty. I am okay with the 7.3, 6.0 gas, or even the duramax if the price is right.

However, I am struggling between buying local vs buying auction. The busses near me regularly go for 8-10k. The same (assumed) busses on auction sites can go for as low as 2-4K. I realize I would have to drive it back, and I donít know exactly what Iím getting, but it sure is enticing.

What do you think? Dish out 8-10k on something I can check out in person, or take the risk of an auction? Side note: I have tried to buy directly from the districts that sell to these local ďdealersĒ but I am striking out left and right. Any advice on breaking through to the districts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
The bus at an auction would be the same as the bus local, just someone else handling the sale. I would opt towards the auctions. The school may want more money than an auction would get.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The bus at an auction would be the same as the bus local, just someone else handling the sale. I would opt towards the auctions. The school may want more money than an auction would get.
Thanks for the input. I just worry about rust and cracked headed bolts etc
Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_theferret View Post
Thanks for the input. I just worry about rust and cracked headed bolts etc
Depending on where you're looking, rust is an issue. Broken head bolts is not something I've heard as common. Don't look for buses anywhere near the rust belt and you should be okay. Preferably buy a bus that has just been decommissioned from the school, it will have been maintained and records available. The auction buses from dry areas really don't sell for a bunch more than a rust bucket.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Depending on where you're looking, rust is an issue. Broken head bolts is not something I've heard as common. Don't look for buses anywhere near the rust belt and you should be okay. Preferably buy a bus that has just been decommissioned from the school, it will have been maintained and records available. The auction buses from dry areas really don't sell for a bunch more than a rust bucket.

SALT BELT not rust belt.

The SALT BELT is the concern. That's where vehicles rust out due to massive use of corrosive materials (mostly salt) on winter roads. But it's not the rust belt.
The RUST BELT is the decaying former industrial centers (like Detroit)
The two have some overlap but are distinctly different and named for different reasons.

RUST BELT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt
SALT BELT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Belt
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
SALT BELT not rust belt.

The SALT BELT is the concern. That's where vehicles rust out due to massive use of corrosive materials (mostly salt) on winter roads. But it's not the rust belt.
The RUST BELT is the decaying former industrial centers (like Detroit)
The two have some overlap but are distinctly different and named for different reasons.

RUST BELT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt
SALT BELT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Belt
Potatoe, potatoe, Tomato, Tomato