Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: help needed

IF you can get it legally titled as an RV you can drive it anywhere in the country with a regular license. I would stick to hydraulic brakes if I were you just to avoid any hassles you might encounter since some states do require an endorsement for them even on a non-commercial recreational vehicle.

What state are you planning on titling it in? You're going to need residency somewhere. Maybe you're just an American in Germany planning to come to the US again. That would make it much easier.

More than anything you should plan a little time to get the bus ready to go. We got my bus converted in about 2.5 weeks to a state that probably is a little more than you need (but not NEARLY as nice as a lot of the rigs on this page). That was with 5 guys devoting 40 hours per week on top of the 40 hours spent at our respective places of employment so it made for some long days, but we did get it done.

You will have to check with the state you plan to register it through to find out what you need to qualify as an RV. I can tell you Minnesota is nice, but you'll have to do some research to find out about other states. That will dictate how much work you need to do.

In my bus we have these items (there is a list of categoies with "electives" in each":

1. 120 volt electrical
2. 12 volt separate from the engine (barely in my case)
3. Potable water supply
4. Gas cooking surface, non-removable
5. Sleeping quarters
6. Toilet

It all sounds like a bit much, but it really isn't.

1. 120 volt-I have a pair of golf cart batteries supplying power to a set of inverters. My circuits are all GFCI protected, but I lack a breaker box. I can explain more about my set up if you choose to go that route as it is amazingly simple, cheap, and idiotproof. It is not, however, as bling as a lot of these other setups.

2. My 12 volt circuits are pretty limited, but what I do have run off the house batteries which CAN be disconnected from the engine.

3. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank feeding the sink. That's it.

4. I have a gas range and 3 burner stove I rescued, unused, from a travel trailer. The regulator and hose on it go down beneath the bus and can be screwed into a 20 lbs cylinder, but I have not permanently mounted the cylinder yet.

5. I have 4 bunks, a couch, and a twin bed in my state room, all made of wood with hospital mattresses with the exception of my mattress. I have a real mattress since I hate the feel of vinyl beneath me as I sleep and I don't particularly worry about what fluids might come in contact with my personal bed.

6. My toilet is just a portapotty with a permanent mount it sits in to get the level up a bit so it's more comfy, but it's easily removed for cleaning and dumping.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

very unclear what sort of help you are looking for
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E-350; 4x4 Minibus
Engine: 351c.i.
Ya this whole thing is super confusing. I'm not seeing a question here...
Old 07-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

From another thread, OP mentioned being forced to sell

in which case a price is required
Old 07-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Uh, isn't the original post here 13 years old? Chances are OP has figured things out since then.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Wow weird.

The post saying he was selling up (I believe financial problems)

seems to have now been removed.

Roseanne Roseannadanna voice "never mind!"