Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to mike
Help! Painting the roof?

I'm ready to start painting the roof of my big twinkie, just what is the best type of paint will hold up the best, looks like white will be my choice and would like to spray it with a gun,also just how much of a sanding would i need to do to get the new paint to stick? Is there a clear coat i can apply to help protect it from tree limbs ? thanks mike

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Roof painting basics

When painting a large area as a roof, some special considerations are necessary. The most important factor is the weather. No rain or fog is the highest priority, too hot is not great and either the wind must be still or just a slight breeze. A slight breeze is good for keeping the bugs out of the paint.
The paint material is important. I usually choose an enamel, with a hard tough finish and white is the color. The best paint is usually farm implement enamel. Before any painting the roof should be washed at least 2 times, then scuffed with some manmade abrasive pads called scotchbrite made by 3M. There are some cheaper pads made by others. The red pads are about 240 grit and will scuff the existing paint very nicely. Rinse off or wash the roof again, and get ready to paint the roof. The best paint applications are done by painting on at least 3 coats, each coat changing the direction of paint application. The passes should over lap the preceding coat by half the spray pattern. If ya spray too much paint on a spot, there will be a run, not enough paint will make a thin spot. Runs can be sanded away. Usually any top coat or clear coat is not worth the time and money. The more shine the white makes, the more heat is reflected away. Paint is about $35 per gallon and the reducer about $18 per gallon. The paint is reduced from 15 - 30 percent. If the finished paint is rough, a buffer and some compound will make all look good. The best time of the day to paint is very late or at dusk. Some "A" frame step ladders can be used to make a nice scaffold, with a few planks. Always have a helper for many reasons. The good old enamel takes about 2-3 weeks for the paint to become completely dry. The acrylic paints are nice to apply and any problems can be cleaned up or repaired. Frank Oh yeah, stay away from limbs.
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
My roof is painted white with a latex based elastomeric paint. The stuff was a pain to apply, but seems like it holds up. I still have another 2 coats atleast to apply as I want it to be good and thick, but the only places that show any wear from country fest (and the 20 people that were on the roof at one time) are the places where people were in chairs and moved around a lot. I can't remember the exact name of the stuff, but it was fairly cheap IIRC...something like $15 per gallon, but it takes several gallons to do the job along with some time to not just scuff, but SCRATCH the paint on the roof to get the first coat to stick. After that it's all good. The stuff can even be painted after some setting time so maybe a coat of real paint with some kool seal will be in order next year.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

roof

I am going to paint mine with a white compound that reflects most of the sunlight and two coats insulates like 4 inches of styrofoam. Can't remember what it's called, but I called the salesman and he said it has millions of air filled beads that provide the insulation and he recommende three coats that I think would be 9 mil thick. The name of this stuff is somewhere on this board.

shaggy
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote