Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran Genesis
Engine: DT466 / Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 78
Help Pick My New Home!

Ok everyone, I’ve been on the skoolie bandwagon for a few months now and am about ready to buy a bus! But I need your help finding the right one. Bear with me, cause there are a lot of considerations

I’ve been reading up a lot, and really appreciate all the great resources on this site. It’s helped me really hone in on what I want, but I’m struggling to decide on exactly the right bus.

Aside from all the basics, one of my main concerns is off-road ability. I’ve been living in my Sprinter van for the last few years, and am used to being able to get my home to some pretty rad places. I know I’ll obviously be a lot more limited in a bus, but I want to maximize my capability to the best extent reasonable for a very large bus.

I’m aware that CE style are typically viewed as the best option for off-road, but I’m leaning toward FE for a couple reasons. First, I just hate losing 5-6ft of usable space with the CE, but still having to deal with it for maneuverability. FE also tend to have significantly shorter wheelbases, which is a big part of off-road capability and maneuverability. Yeah, I know that low 4ft overhang ahead of the front wheels really sucks, but I’ve got some creative ideas in mind for that.

So, in general I’m going for this…

Style:

FE or possibly Conventional

Size:

Ideally about 35ft (12-13 windows or 30 ft usable inside is about perfect), but possibly full size

Engine:

Cummins 8.3 ISC or DT466 ideally. Trying to stay pre-2004 to avoid most emissions controls (this has been a big pain on my van as well, and I’d like to avoid it if possible). Not totally opposed to something newer though as long as it isn’t an engine known for issues (read Maxxforce) and has sufficient power to tow a toad.

Condition:

Rust-free! I know, I know, no vehicle is really rust free and that kinda limits me a lot. But again, I bought my van from Michigan and there’s a ton of body rust popping up all over and I’m just sick of dealing with it. So really trying to get something in good shape, even if it means spending a bit more.

So I’ve been looking pretty seriously for about a month and haven’t seen too much that fits. I know it’s going to be hard to find the perfect bus, but I’ve got a few contenders.

Number 1 – 2007 Thomas Saf-T-Liner FE, 12 window, Cat C7 / MD3060, $12,950
https://nwbus.com/inventory/school-b...r-sale-b81421/

I spotted this bus a bit ago and it’s definitely a contender. Price is higher than I want to spend, and I’m not a huge fan of the engine. Otherwise it meets all the criteria.

Number 2 – 2000 AmTran Genesis FE, 15 window, DT466 / MD3060, $6000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-CLEAN...53.m1438.l2649

I actually went and saw this bus a few days ago. It’s from Reno, and not quite as rust-free as the ad implies. It’s bigger than I want, but I really like the high ground clearance! Tires are not in good shape.

My main concern with this bus is that when we went to drive it, the oil/water light came on. After limping it back and diagnosing, they found it was basically out of coolant! No idea why. It’s been on the lot for 2 years though, so possibly a small leak? There was also a slight hesitation in the shift from 2nd to 3rd, but seemed to go away as it warmed up. Seemed to run and drive fine after adding coolant. I’m fairly worried that there could be an engine issue if it was driven without coolant though.

Number 3 - 1993 Blue Bird All American FE, 15 window, Cummins 8.3, $8000
Looks like the posting expired on this one. Seller said it’s in good shape, “no rust”.

I feel like everyone is gonna say jump on the mechanical 8.3, but this bus is so long and low to the ground. I don’t really think it’s the best option for me. Interesting note – they said price is not negotiable, as it’ll easily go for this much once the border opens back up and they can export it.

Number 4 – 2002 International Genesis FE, 13 window, DT466, $5000
https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...tional-genesis

Woah, I literally just found this bus as I was writing this up! Must be a recent posting or else I totally missed it. Basically the same bus as Number 2, but shorter. I actually found a smashed up one of these a few days ago and was considering it because I love the length and ground clearance. This may be the one. Will have to call them Monday.

I guess I’m not sure whether to expect much rust with this being a TN bus. And not sure of the transmission, but would hope it’s at least the MT643. Anyone near Covington want to make $50 and go check this out for me?!

So I guess my questions are:

What do you all think of my criteria and options? Is it going to be really hard to find a bus meeting these requirements? Does number 4 seem like a solid bus?

Is the DT466 suffucient to pull a toad up mountain grades, or should I really be looking for an 8.3? Doesn't have to be fast, but I don't want to be sitting on the side of the road either.

Am I way off base expecting a FE to perform well off-road, and should I be looking more at a CE?

Anything else I should be looking for or thinking about?

I’m well aware this is a weird time to try to buy a bus. I’d really like to get started on a conversion soon though, so I can have something productive to do while there’s nothing else going on, haha. So I don’t really want to sit and wait months for the perfect bus to come along, or try to get a super steal at auction like many of you do.

Again, really appreciate the helpful folks on this site. If you made it all the way through, thanks

freetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466, off-road, selection