Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Help with remote activated doors.

Hello All. This is not related to skoolies. However I had hoped the diverse collection of knowledge might help find a solution to a new challenge of mine. So here goes...

I just a bought a 1972 vw super beatle that somone had gotten partialy modified and restored. What I am having trouble with are the doors. The handles have been shaved off (removed) and to gain access to the car one needs to open the little side windows, reach in and push a button on the dash to release them.

It's a neat idea, but reaching through a window to gain access to the vehicle is a poor design. So, I was thinking of a remote. I know lapeer20m had used some type of remote to access his first bus. I would like one with two buttons to operate each door.

The car has been switched over to 12 volts from it's stock 6 volts which makes finding parts easier.

Please help as I don't want to have to put normal doors back on.

-Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

VW cars are fun to own and modify.

All ya gotta do is locate another pushbutton or 2 under the fenders, under the body or concealed behind the bumper. Thr last VW that was 6 volt was 1966, after 1967 all Vw became 12 volt. Irf ya wanna get slick, go to any car alarm shop and ask for a little help and they can rig up a relay or so and you can do about anything with a hand remote. A cheap alarm that will do the task of opening the doors can be bought for under $100. Ya even get 2 remotes.
Think outside the box... Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
x2 on the idea of mounting the button elsewhere. That was the standard before all this new fangled remote stuff became popular. The other option I'ev seen is a key fob you pass near a sensor inside the sheetmetal somewhere.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Might something like this help?

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...A-1&type=store
Old 10-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Bus Geek

autozone here sells a keyless remote that controlls 4 separate circuits for under $50. this is the one i use on my bus

Part No.: PL-SW29

another option is to use the remote from a remote start unit. They are under $50 also and perhaps easier to find.

if it's already electric, a remote is 100 times cooler than pushing a button attached to the vehicle.

you can also wire in the runninglights to come on when you push the door open button just for a cool effect.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

doors

Thanks all! Some very clever idea's. I like the idea of the remote start unit as the solonoids must be electical because it is a simple momentary on 12v switch. I thinks after it gets out of the vw shop it will be going to a remote place for the locks.

Here is another concern. If the door locks are indeed electrical what happens in the case of an onboard fire, going off the road into a lake or river or if somthing shorts out? My concern is the inability to get out of the car in an emergency as there are no handles inside and it's way too small to kick out the window.

Again, thanks for all the ideas and support.

-Richard
Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
If that event were to happen you may want to think about getting one of them window punches or the whole hammer, punch, and seat belt cutter.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmah
If that event were to happen you may want to think about getting one of them window punches or the whole hammer, punch, and seat belt cutter.
DITTO! These are a highly recommended to be on board in case of emergency in ANY vehicle!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Just a simple dead battery can keep you locked out!

My former boss has a hot rod, and guess the doors are fiberglass or something, he just waves a magnet over a certain part of the door and the latch pops open!!

You could always drill a hole and install a simple key lock with a cable wire or pull chain type of thing, turn the key lock and it will pull the cable and open the latch... Just a thought....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Yeah, i've been thinking about the dead battery issue. Especially a problem as the starting battery is located under the rear seat inside the car. So no way to jump it either. It's going into a VW shop for it's first once over tommorow so I am going to them to give me some advice as to what I can use for a manual overide.

However the idea of just getting new replacement doors put back on is tempting also. It just feels like a cop-out.

In the end it's the wife's car so she gets the final say.
. We'll see.
-Ricahrd
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Bus Nut

VW remote entry

A trick used long ago. When an emergency came with a dead battery, a small female plug was hidden under the cay or under the engine cover. The plug was made for about 20 amps. Just enough to feed car electrical system and the remote to open the doors. Guys who, along time ago, used a magnet hidden some place were always consuming all the batterypower showing themagic door. On some vehicles, a hidden choke wire or cable could operate the doors with no battery. The electric remote is the best method. A door helper spring should also be used to help door open after button is switched. I have been thinking of wiring a alarm type door lock. To lock the only door now, takes some time, a long bolt and a big padlock. It would be very difficult to enter thru the door. A remote would give me a quick method of security. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote