Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

Help with shower

I'm in Beaufort South Carolina and I have a 2003 Thomas saf T liner 78 passenger.

I'm looking to have a drop-down shower installed or a step down or whatever. Every shop I've gone to has said it will start out at $1,500 but probably end up about 2k.

The bus has been completely stripped to the bare floor.

I'm looking for some advice or help and yes I am willing to pay or trade.

Basically I want to cut a hole in the floor and either lower that section of floor or put a drop pan down in there for shower height.

SOUVINEY-LILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
That's what I did with my bus and I'd be glad to share what I did. The first thing you need to do is pick a couple of likely locations for your shower, do some measuring both in and under your bus to check for clearances etc. Knowing where your fresh, gray, black tanks and water heater are going will need to be part of your planning as well.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #3

Sure.
Just had a professional shop turn it down for being too much.
Can't weld, FYI.
SOUVINEY-LILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I put a dropped shower in my bus, too. Here's where I started on that. It's a very exclusive club!

Without welding, I'm honestly not sure how you would even do something like this. You could build the box entirely out of pieces of sheet metal bolted together, but without a welder you would at least need a sheet metal brake, and one strong enough to do 16 ga. would probably cost more than a welder.

I think $500 might be a reasonable price to do something like this (that's probably about what I would charge if you could make it to Philly), but that wouldn't include anything other than cutting the hole in the floor, fabricating the box and then welding it in place. If these shops are quoting $1500 to $2000 for all that plus painting and sealing and installing an actual shower with plumbing etc. then those aren't bad prices at all.

Rather than spending $2000+ to have a shop do this, you would be well-served to buy a welding machine for a couple of hundred and just do this yourself. You absolutely can do something like this.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
ummmmm

The first thought that crossed my mind is a used industrial sink and use that for a sunken shower pan. A new sink 24" by 24" and 14" deep is around $900 at the first one I looked for ... I bought a stainless toilet... usually $1200 new I found one - a prison toilet - for $100on craigslist. I looked for a year. and had to drive 6 hours to get it - three hours each way.

If you bought an industrial sink... so far the biggest I have seen is 24" by 24" with 12" and 14" depths. I did find one that was 24" by 30" and one that was 24" by 36" both 14" depths

I think you could cut it up and bolt/screw/ or glue it, it in place.

call me if you want to talk possibilities 785 207 7600 central time zone

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
The first thought that crossed my mind is a used industrial sink and use that for a sunken shower pan. A new sink 24" by 24" and 14" deep is around $900 at the first one I looked for ... I bought a stainless toilet... usually $1200 new I found one - a prison toilet - for $100on craigslist. I looked for a year. and had to drive 6 hours to get it - three hours each way.

If you bought an industrial sink... so far the biggest I have seen is 24" by 24" with 12" and 14" depths. I did find one that was 24" by 30" and one that was 24" by 36" both 14" depths

I think you could cut it up and bolt/screw/ or glue it, it in place.
One issue with a sink or tub sticking out through a hole in the floor is that it wouldn't be insulated, although I suppose you could glue something to the outside it or otherwise wrap it in insulation - if insulation was even a concern.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Cast Iron Drop-in

Are you considering to just build a curb around a hole & secure a tub? Such as an old Kohler, cast iron, drop-in. (I do have one in a defunct pen)

No suggestions on catching the water, so low. Would definitely box in & spray foam the exterior.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210823-221138_Chrome.jpg  
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, thomas, work exchange