Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

High Priced Skoolies? Are they worth it?

I see some partially or totally finished skoolies for sale for between 30K-50K...

Please tell me your thoughts...Are these people crazy asking these prices for an old school bus with some interior work.....

I can't believe these buses are worth that type of money....I mean how much does it really cost to put some wood, a fridge, a stove, etc etc....in an old bus....

Am I crazy for thinking this people are out of their minds wanting this much for the buses?

tripleb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
would all depend on how luxuriously they finished the bus - most, no, but I've seen the odd converted coach that sold for a $1/4 million
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Like this one for example...i think the price is crazy

https://www.tinyhomebuilders.com/tin...f9FbCFaFsHYAWo
Old 04-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb36 View Post
I see some partially or totally finished skoolies for sale for between 30K-50K...

Please tell me your thoughts...Are these people crazy asking these prices for an old school bus with some interior work.....

I can't believe these buses are worth that type of money....I mean how much does it really cost to put some wood, a fridge, a stove, etc etc....in an old bus....

Am I crazy for thinking this people are out of their minds wanting this much for the buses?

A quality conversion is way more than some wood and appliances. There is a lot of engineering and multiple systems to not only design, but design and implement safely.

I spent the better part of a year putting in near full time hours and spent $25k on mine. It’s both a house and a vehicle, and has all the systems of both...plus quite a few that neither normal houses nor normal vehicles have.

Whether or not it is worth that much time and money is debatable, but people for sure do invest the time and money that would justify wanting to ask those kinds of prices.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Your question is like asking how much is a house, it's just a bunch of sticks put together with stuff inside. I would not be opposed to paying $30 for the right build if I couldn't do it myself.
That bus doesn't look like the floor or ceiling was pulled and insulation added, kind of a waste to do the walls and not the biggest heat source. Also has an Allison 4sp, probably an AT545, not very desirable.
Not the best quality work. I would price that bus around $10K at best.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
l agree - I'm no carpenter but my joints look better than those in this bus
Old 04-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I got it,,,,

Yeah I know there is a lot involved...Its just that I see these buses that don't even look that nice and these people are asking big money...I know its takes alot of hours of labor but are the costs for parts and materials that high? Im thinking 5K for a good bus and if you spent 10K on everything else you could have a very nice bus...not including the labor.....

But some of these raggedy looking buses and they are wanting 30K....

I mean when you sell a car/bus/anythjing....you usually dont get back for all the labor and extra's you put into it....

Just thought some of these prices were ridiculous...
Old 04-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah I know there is a lot involved...Its just that I see these buses that don't even look that nice and these people are asking big money...I know its takes alot of hours of labor but are the costs for parts and materials that high? Im thinking 5K for a good bus and if you spent 10K on everything else you could have a very nice bus...not including the labor.....

I mean when you sell a car/bus/anythjing....you usually dont get back for all the labor and extra's you put into it....

a decently done skoolie may not be worth what a new sticks and staples motorhome or trailer costs, but 10 or 15 years down the road, provided proper care has been taken, the skoolie is still worth almost as much as it was when it was first built, and the stapled trailer/motor home may not even be on the road
Old 04-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Agreed. I'm no cabinetry cat, but I spent more than a minute or 2 on my joins.

Hopefully ECCB'll check in, as our resident expert on joints...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
l agree - I'm no carpenter but my joints look better than those in this bus
Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

Sure, you wouldn't pay someone $30k for something you can build yourself for $15. But what about the person who wants one but has no tools, no skills, no knowledge of how to build one. Just like every new vehicle they have a mark up for profit. Some don't take into consideration what the 100's of hours of our own labor is worth. That sample you posted I also noticed it only has 1-100w solar panel, seriously lacking for a full build. For $30K I would expect a massive solar system. Some sellers list real high hoping someone will offer them half that and they still get more than they really needed. They are taking offers. They'll come way down when they see all their offers are a 1/3 of what they are asking.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Good explanation

Yes that is a great explanation. I dont want or even like this bus just was wondering what everyone thought about these so-so buses being listed for these astronomical prices.....
Old 04-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

No you're not crazy.

Anyone paying those high prices is a total custie.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
Bus Nut

You're not crazy.

Notice that there's almost always something else about a lot of the conversions being sold for those crazy prices - they've only been lived in or used for a year or two. Most of the people that did it "right" are still out there, on the road, doing whatever it is they do.

Too many of these people built for looks, and not for function.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Gillig bros. of hayward ca.
Engine: C180 supercharged cummins
whats the value..

i think that i would not take 30,000 for my bus .. it took 100's of hours, plus near 20,000 in parts and materials.. but i think my bus is a little more than just a few boards nailed together....
whiskey runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

I'm negotiating with a fellow right now that has a very believable $16,000 in his bus - it includes 6 brand new tires, new brakes, new balanced drive shaft with new universals and bearings - a 2 speed rear end he had installed, and a rebuilt and balanced motor - not the nicest interior, but it is camperised with Ac, holding tanks etc, etc, etc - his ASKING price is $5000 - motor, tires, rear end have 2000 miles on them
Old 04-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm negotiating with a fellow right now that has a very believable $16,000 in his bus - it includes 6 brand new tires, new brakes, new balanced drive shaft with new universals and bearings - a 2 speed rear end he had installed, and a rebuilt and balanced motor - not the nicest interior, but it is camperised with Ac, holding tanks etc, etc, etc - his ASKING price is $5000 - motor, tires, rear end have 2000 miles on them
Wow, the motor alone is worth more than $5k! Tires are another grand or so. Sounds like a deal! Desperate seller?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:47 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:

That sounds like a steal.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Buy it, and drive it like you stole it, coz at that price it surely is a steal!!!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Buy it, and drive it like you stole it, coz at that price it surely is a steal!!!
that's what I'm thinking too - I don't think he's a desperate seller, he says they don't use it any more and it's taking up space in his shop - reading something from the background of the pictures, I doubt he's hurting for money - he mentioned when I was talking to him that he had the work done on the bus after he had 'come into a bit of money' - a friend of mine is going to look at the bus in the next day or two - it's a 1200 mile return trip and I can little afford the time or expense to take off on a speculation with out getting an unbiased opinion first - if I do get it, I'll be in the market to trade 4 new summer tires for equal value snow tires
Old 04-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

I am soooooooo envious! 🤢
Quote:
that's what I'm thinking too - I don't think he's a desperate seller, he says they don't use it any more and it's taking up space in his shop - reading something from the background of the pictures, I doubt he's hurting for money - he mentioned when I was talking to him that he had the work done on the bus after he had 'come into a bit of money' - a friend of mine is going to look at the bus in the next day or two - it's a 1200 mile return trip and I can little afford the time or expense to take off on a speculation with out getting an unbiased opinion first - if I do get it, I'll be in the market to trade 4 new summer tires for equal value snow tires