Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
Bus Nut

A long time ago I had thought about trying to do this but the high price of LCD monitors or a laptop killed it. I am very excited to see that somebody has done it and it works. The best part is somebody else was the guinea pig. Now I just need to get the parts and I will be watching movies. Thanks for posting the link.

busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
Skoolie

Wow….
The more I think about it, the ‘possibilities’ with that big screen projector system are endless…

You could invite your friends over to your Bus/RV and use a white sheet hung up across from the couch to project the image on….whip out the pop-corn and there you go.
You could even have your own outside Movie theater under your awning …you’d have shield the unit from too much glare …but that wouldn’t be difficult.

If you were into Mobile Sales you could project a DVD movie about your products onto the back of your booth (inside)…which would definitely amaze your customers.

What neat thing this is…
You get a giant big screen TV that weighs very little and doesn’t take up any wall space. Just, Store it your ‘Basement ‘when you don’t need it…when you do want to use it ,pull it out plug it in, pop a DVD into your computer….
WOW!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Very neat project!

How cool! The idea of a movie party reminds me of when I was a kid and people in the married student housing apartments (old army barracks) at the University of Texas would rent a movie (actual film kind) and a projector and show movies on the parade ground in front of the barracks on Saturdays in the Summer.

I was wondering how you could construct a permanent mount for the LCD screen that would protect the screen. Seems like you'd want to have the entire thing assembled as one unit for ease of handling. The Lexan will protect it from breakage, but how will you connect the whole thing to the projector? Or do you even need to? Maybe you could just have a picture frame device that contains the LCD and associated cooling fans, and pull that out and pop it on top of the projector when you want to use it.

The coolest thing would be to rig it so that it projected onto the side or back of your bus as you went down the road at night. Or down onto the road in front of you or behind you.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

We had a similar idea for enteratinment on our bus while traveling/ Being a student organizationof a state university we have high quality projectors that become availbe for transer every so often. We got a hold of one to use for design presentations and proposals..

Well we figured that we could hang our roll down screen just behind the driver and and project a movie big screen style while cruising down the road and only the driver misses out.

But after some research we found that the bulbs used in these projectors become very fragile when hot(understandlbly) and the filaments cannot handle the vibration of the bus. And they are like $120 bulbs. So we had to scrap the idea of moving movie but we will have the setiup on board anyway so once we are were we need to be we will prolly just project it on the side of the bus.

I dotn know if the overhead projectors bulbs are as delicate, but i would warn if you are using it in a skoolie wait till it has cooled down before transportiing it.
University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote