Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Highways and Mountain Roads Overheating

Since most skoolies are geared low and have to turn a higher RPM for a longer time, has anybody had issues with overheating?

Ive got the 190HP DT360 in my flatnose and am curious to know if I will have overheating problems when I cross the rockies and the Apalachians. I will be towing roughly 8K lbs as well.

I thik regardless if it does have problems the engine is still gonna be working damn hard to get up those mountains so we are tossing around the idea of a wet sprayer for the intercooler. Ive already got pressurized water on the bus all it needs is a water line up to the front and a small atomizer. Itll be on switch on the dash and as we start up the steep grades flip it for that added cooling.

I just had the exhuast manifold sealed back up it ad a crack running down the center and through the turbo flange. Pain in the neck had to put it on the mill afterwards and deck cuz the heat from the welder warped the hell out it. So im thinking cooler air may help the turbo a bit cooler as well.

University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I'd worry about the automatic tranny more than the engine--especially with a DT360, an 8000lb trailer, & mountains...you're probably gonna cook something unless you make some changes. I'd do the water spray on the biggest tranny cooler I could find (like, the size of the radiator), maybe throw some ice in the water tank, run a trans temp gauge & watch it like a hawk. Above 150, back off the pedal. Above 160, start looking for a place to stop. Above 170, stop & fast-ldle in neutral until it cools down. DO NOT SHUT DOWN, because the heat will have noplace to go, & the ATF will bake.

An engine will run cooler revving high than it will lugging.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I thought I had he AT545 which i guess is pretty standard behind he 360 but it turns out we've got the MT 643, and according to the local allison dealer and the local international service center shouldnt be a problem.
University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:50 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

If you check the salvage yards, you should be able to get a A/C condenser from a pickup to put in front of your radiater for a tranny cooler. They work great, and are very cheap. If you didn't have a flat-nosed bus, I would sugest putting boat louvers (like these http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/ ... toreNum=12 )on the sides of the hood to get the heat out and keep the engine cooler while traveling.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote