Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Homemade Skylight

So I am considering putting in a long skylight above my bed. I thought that I could simply cut out the sheetmetal and seal in a sheet of lexan or Acrylic. I would put it in between 2 ceiling struts so it would be about 24inches wide and anywhere from 48 to 60 inches long. I figured I could make a removable insulation piece that would fit up against the window when it is very hot or cold and I want better insulation. Any thoughts on this plan?

mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Turbo
We're planning something similar after removing our leaking roof hatch. Cut a bigger hole, seal a piece of Lexan over it, with a much nicer boat hatch in the middle. Did your skylight work out? If my solar panels weren't above the bed I might consider stealing the idea.
Jfoster503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoster503 View Post
We're planning something similar after removing our leaking roof hatch. Cut a bigger hole, seal a piece of Lexan over it, with a much nicer boat hatch in the middle. Did your skylight work out? If my solar panels weren't above the bed I might consider stealing the idea.
Yes, I bought a 24 x 54in piece of lexan and installed it above my bed. It was actually super easy to do. I just pre drilled all the holes through the lexan and sheetmetal and sandwhiched sika 1a in the joint. The screws went in easy and I didn't have any issues with cracking. I do think there is a possibility that the Lexan will yellow in 10 to 15 years but I think having it for that time is worth the chance of needing to replace it.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
Yes, I bought a 24 x 54in piece of lexan and installed it above my bed. It was actually super easy to do. I just pre drilled all the holes through the lexan and sheetmetal and sandwhiched sika 1a in the joint. The screws went in easy and I didn't have any issues with cracking. I do think there is a possibility that the Lexan will yellow in 10 to 15 years but I think having it for that time is worth the chance of needing to replace it.
That’s awesome that it worked. I’ve heard that lean is much easier to work with, though more expensive. Thanks for replying.
Jfoster503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins
Rated Cap: 37'
Quote:
Hi there! How has your skylight worked out with moisture condensation? We were thinking about a legit skylight, as it has mechanisms built in to prevent all that mess. But your plan is so much simpler!
Sevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevier View Post
Hi there! How has your skylight worked out with moisture condensation? We were thinking about a legit skylight, as it has mechanisms built in to prevent all that mess. But your plan is so much simpler!
I haven't had a single issue with condensation! Maybe I just haven't noticed, but either way it hasn't bothered me. I have two tension curtain rods running long ways with the window. When I want light from the skylight I just pull the front rod off and let the curtain hang down. I've really liked it and I think it adds a lot to the bus!
Attached Thumbnails
20201213_090000.jpg   20201213_085927.jpg  
Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
I haven't had a single issue with condensation! Maybe I just haven't noticed, but either way it hasn't bothered me. I have two tension curtain rods running long ways with the window. When I want light from the skylight I just pull the front rod off and let the curtain hang down. I've really liked it and I think it adds a lot to the bus!
Nice! We're going to install our skylight in our bathroom. The way our floor plan will be, the bathroom will be the full width of the bus, and nearly 4' deep, after the kitchen, and right in front of the bedroom (so you walk through the bathroom to get to bedroom). The doors will remain open, with shower to one side, toilet to other, unseen from kitchen and living room, so there is a nice view straight through to the back of the bus (its a 37' dog nose). We will be putting beautiful colorful tile on the floors and wall so it feels a bit like an art piece, not just a bathroom. Will be hanging a plant or two from the skylight. Hoping that light from the bathroom gives a nice glow to the rest of the bus (we will replace our two emergency exits with air fans).

Did you give the screws any locktight or sealer, as well as the joint?
Old 12-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Nice! We're going to install our skylight in our bathroom. The way our floor plan will be, the bathroom will be the full width of the bus, and nearly 4' deep, after the kitchen, and right in front of the bedroom (so you walk through the bathroom to get to bedroom). The doors will remain open, with shower to one side, toilet to other, unseen from kitchen and living room, so there is a nice view straight through to the back of the bus (its a 37' dog nose). We will be putting beautiful colorful tile on the floors and wall so it feels a bit like an art piece, not just a bathroom. Will be hanging a plant or two from the skylight. Hoping that light from the bathroom gives a nice glow to the rest of the bus (we will replace our two emergency exits with air fans).

It sounds like your bathroom skylight is going to be exactly where the rear exit hatch is.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:

That sounds lovely! So I had an inch of overlap between the lexan and the Sheetmetal roof. I put a couple of passes of tape one inch from the outside of the 4 edges of the lexan to protect it from getting sealant on it. I then put an inch strip of Sika down on the Sheetmetal roof where the lexan would be over lapping. I predrilled holes every couple of inches in the lexan and used self tapping screws to attach it to the roof. So the screws were going though the layor of sealant and didn't require any additional sealing. I put another layor of sealant on top of the joint and over the screw heads after it was attached just to be safe.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Like Mitchk I have never had any condensation form on my skylight. I used two layers of polycarbonate of "cardboard box" like construction, stuck it down with double stick tape and sealed the end cavities with clear silicone so the whole thing acts sort of like a dual glazed window. Mitchk's curtain idea is a very workable and effective design especially it's KISS attributes. My curtain became a little less than simple because my skylight is hinged to go up to provide head room. I used a down comforter as the basis of my curtain and I'm happy with the way it helps retain heat.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
That sounds lovely! So I had an inch of overlap between the lexan and the Sheetmetal roof. I put a couple of passes of tape one inch from the outside of the 4 edges of the lexan to protect it from getting sealant on it. I then put an inch strip of Sika down on the Sheetmetal roof where the lexan would be over lapping. I predrilled holes every couple of inches in the lexan and used self tapping screws to attach it to the roof. So the screws were going though the layor of sealant and didn't require any additional sealing. I put another layor of sealant on top of the joint and over the screw heads after it was attached just to be safe.
Super helpful, thankyou! Can you explain how you used the butyl tape again? Im not sure I understnad what you mean when you say "I put a couple of passes of tape one inch from the outside of the 4 edges of the lexan to protect it from getting sealant on it". As in, the Butyl didnt touch the lexan at all, it was just on the roof of the bus?
Old 12-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Super helpful, thankyou! Can you explain how you used the butyl tape again? Im not sure I understnad what you mean when you say "I put a couple of passes of tape one inch from the outside of the 4 edges of the lexan to protect it from getting sealant on it". As in, the Butyl didnt touch the lexan at all, it was just on the roof of the bus?

Sorry that wasn't super clear. I have rhe writing ability of a 6 year old haha. So I didn't use any butyl tape. I simply used wide painters tape on the inside of the lexan close to the joint because I knew the sealant that I had sandwiched in between the lexan and the Sheetmetal would puff out onto the lexan. So the tape was just there for easier clean up. You could probably use butyl tape in between the lexan and sheet metal instead of a sealant. Once it was smashed down with some screws I'm sure that would work as well.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Sorry that wasn't super clear. I have rhe writing ability of a 6 year old haha. So I didn't use any butyl tape. I simply used wide painters tape on the inside of the lexan close to the joint because I knew the sealant that I had sandwiched in between the lexan and the Sheetmetal would puff out onto the lexan. So the tape was just there for easier clean up. You could probably use butyl tape in between the lexan and sheet metal instead of a sealant. Once it was smashed down with some screws I'm sure that would work as well.
ohhh, makes total sense now, thankyou, and super clever! At least you dont think like a 6 year old
Old 12-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
One last question - which sika did you use? We are already ordering 220+ for our windows where the glass meets the frame, but I'm not sure if thats right for metal to lexan?