Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Housing... (rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmylc
Have any of you had such luck?/share some story's so i dont feel SOOOO alone LMAO :P
Give me a couple of years, and I'll let you know. It does seem like hard times are going around.

bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Back when we first moved to Chattanooga, we discovered we could buy a house cheaper than we could get into a rental. We looked at rentals in places that we were afraid to get our of the car in the daylight. Then there were the folks who wanted us to pay for a credit check when we put in a rental app... $75 non-refundable. David ran credit checks all day long (he worked for a home security company at the time). We knew it didn't cost that for a credit check. To get into a rental with a dog ($1000 non-refundable deposit), a cat ($1000 non-refundable deposit) and two kids ($2000 non-refundable deposit) plus first and last on a DUMP ($2000 to $3000) was ridiculous, so we bought a house (owner held the mortgage... he was a lawyer, later a judge) with $5000 down. Our house payments were way cheaper than renting and we had space to park the pop-up in the back yard (2 acres). For some idiot reason, we have always been able to buy a house cheaper than renting and in better shape than the rental. While I do like having a garden and home orchard (planted both at every place we owned), I really don't care for the house part of home ownership and I dislike mowing yards (our smallest place was just under two acres, largest was over two acres).

Best part of living in a vintage/cheap RV... we park in a campground/mobile home park, no lease, no contracts. Utilities includes in the lot rent. If we don't like it, we can move somewhere else. Downside of living like this... we can't keep the bus here and work on it. It's parked at my daughter house.

Kid (mid 20's) who lives in the site next to us.. apparently goes to the local mining tech college here. Shortly after he moved his trailer in (looks more like a cross between trailer and park model), I overheard him bragging to a few of his buddies about how cheap it was for him to live in the campground... said it cost him $1K per month. I'm assuming that includes the price of his new trailer along with his rent ($350/mo). His buddies were impressed.

So what I'm trying to point out is.... perhaps you should look into how much it costs to rent a spot in a campground/mobile home park. Then look at how much it would cost you or rather what you ware willing to spend to get into a house/apartment. Can you take those $$ and subtract 1 months site rent and buy a cheap RV and park it? It's not ideal, but it may be a solution you can live with. Plus it will give you practice for living in a small space and will help you to shed unneeded personal stuff. Buy a cheapie, seal the roof (just seal the roof, what ever you buy, it will leak) and when the time comes, sell it cheap to get rid of it. You just want an oldie with every thing working (make them show you it works) and tanks that don't leak.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

and you wonder why im living full time in an RV!! one bedrooms here are around 1000-1500 a month! its just silly!! city does nothing to cap the limit, hotels charge daily rates, no breaks for long term because the demand is there. My pad rent in the mobile home park is 500/mo. campgrounds are 850 here and only a 30 amp service..

Oh and good news everybody! I successfully won my court case against my last SLUMLORD and garnished his bank account after he refused to pay me several times. To top it off, he was on vacation when i garnished it and cut his trip short when he ran out of money!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
...To top it off, he was on vacation when i garnished it and cut his trip short when he ran out of money!
I bet you did a "happy dance" at that tidbit of news, now didn't you?

I actually prefer living in the campgrounds/parks. Unfortunately it seems everyone in town knows where we live. It's a little disturbing. I guess they see the food cart coming and going. Freaks my daughter out a bit.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
and you wonder why im living full time in an RV!! one bedrooms here are around 1000-1500 a month! its just silly!! city does nothing to cap the limit, hotels charge daily rates, no breaks for long term because the demand is there. My pad rent in the mobile home park is 500/mo. campgrounds are 850 here and only a 30 amp service..

Oh and good news everybody! I successfully won my court case against my last SLUMLORD and garnished his bank account after he refused to pay me several times. To top it off, he was on vacation when i garnished it and cut his trip short when he ran out of money!
I sold my B700 to a couple whose rent was about to go up to $1450 per month for a 2BR duplex. Yikes.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

The bad economy in Michigan has so far been good to me. I purchased a foreclosure. The bank put it up for $148K but there were no takers because it needed a little bit of work. I ended up snagging it for $34K.

it's a modest house, 1,200 sq ft ranch 3 bedroom with a garage on half an acre.

Any idea what a 30 year mortgage is on 34K? Less than many peoples monthly car payments!