Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Please link to what you mean by Personal Mail Box there. Hosted y what organisation specifically?

We used yourbestaddress.com but some others use americasmailbox.com and I believe escapees.com is another option. Our legal address on our license is street address followed by PMB # (ex. 123 4th St. Ste. 567 PMB 890)

Old 05-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
how does it work for state taxes? wouldnt everyone just register an "address" in an income tax free state?

I have a real house so I cant get away with it on a personal level.. although my business adress most definitely is Florida..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
how does it work for state taxes? wouldnt everyone just register an "address" in an income tax free state?

I have a real house so I cant get away with it on a personal level.. although my business adress most definitely is Florida..

That was one beauty of SD, no state taxes (along with no vehicle safety inspections). Not sure how the enforcement works besides the honor system and crossing your fingers that Johnny Law doesn't catch on to you. When we bought our house in VA we changed over our residency because we're not shifty tax cheats.
I'm sure it's not uncommon for people to choose SD for purposes of tax avoidance though.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If you stay in one spot too long then by default you become a resident of that place. What that term is depends on who’s asking. In California for instance, for tax purposes you’re a resident after nine months. For social services apparently it’s a year. My insurance’s definition was six months. I don’t think it has anything to do with your physical address, although if you need proof it sure does.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I am a NM resident. Why? I own a house that I live in within the State of NM. I also own other houses in NM I don’t live in, so I can’t claim them as a residency. I am 45 miles from TX a no income tax state so why not become a TX resident and save on taxes? First the income from the rentals is in NM, and I spend more time in NM than anywhere else. Could I concoct a way to become a TX resident? Yes I could. But it would be fraudulent and I could be prosecuted. There are cases now being prosecuted in FL right now over using fraudulent proof of residency papers. These are felonies. If I had a house in TX that I spent more than half of my time at I could become a TX resident, but would still have to pay NM taxes on my NM rentals. What if I own a house each in 4 states? The state I spend the most time in is now my legal resident state. A mailing address is not a legal resident address. Every address in America is listed with the US Census Bureau and has what is call a MAF master address file number complete with GPS coordinates as either a residential or commercial address. This data is supplied to them by county addressing and zoning departments across the country and the US postal service. It is then field checked by Census employees on a regular basis. Then there are data collection companies that the Census Bureau would use to collect cell phone numbers associated to those addresses. It would work like this: You order pizza to be delivered to 123 America Drive apt 7 John Doe ph# 999-999-9999 The pizza place was paid per phone number collected and was sold. The auto parts store needs a number for your warranty. Why do they need your phone number? Those can change but not your name. They sell them too. So if we at the Census Bureau needed to contact the person living at 123 America Drive Apt 7, John Doe and 999-999-9999 would come up. The insurance companies also run the same kind of program with the phone data collectors also. So you can run but you can not hide. Please don’t commit fraud in obtaining any government documents. It is very easy to check out and can carry some very heavy penalties.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I am a NM resident. Why? I own a house that I live in within the State of NM. I also own other houses in NM I don’t live in, so I can’t claim them as a residency. I am 45 miles from TX a no income tax state so why not become a TX resident and save on taxes? First the income from the rentals is in NM, and I spend more time in NM than anywhere else. Could I concoct a way to become a TX resident? Yes I could. But it would be fraudulent and I could be prosecuted. There are cases now being prosecuted in FL right now over using fraudulent proof of residency papers. These are felonies. If I had a house in TX that I spent more than half of my time at I could become a TX resident, but would still have to pay NM taxes on my NM rentals. What if I own a house each in 4 states? The state I spend the most time in is now my legal resident state. A mailing address is not a legal resident address. Every address in America is listed with the US Census Bureau and has what is call a MAF master address file number complete with GPS coordinates as either a residential or commercial address. This data is supplied to them by county addressing and zoning departments across the country and the US postal service. It is then field checked by Census employees on a regular basis. Then there are data collection companies that the Census Bureau would use to collect cell phone numbers associated to those addresses. It would work like this: You order pizza to be delivered to 123 America Drive apt 7 John Doe ph# 999-999-9999 The pizza place was paid per phone number collected and was sold. The auto parts store needs a number for your warranty. Why do they need your phone number? Those can change but not your name. They sell them too. So if we at the Census Bureau needed to contact the person living at 123 America Drive Apt 7, John Doe and 999-999-9999 would come up. The insurance companies also run the same kind of program with the phone data collectors also. So you can run but you can not hide. Please don’t commit fraud in obtaining any government documents. It is very easy to check out and can carry some very heavy penalties.

so how does that work livin g in a bus or even someo e such as myself who travels? I own a house in ohio that my stuff is in but there are years that I have travelled so much that i have spent more time in texas or florida than I have in my own house.. physically.. where im sleeping .. but the way you make it sound it goes based on where you physically are? are you saying that I should have filed for residency in one of those places? lots of people work / sleep in places other than their homes.. many times for the majority of the time.. a friend here in ohio was on a construction project last year and lived in his hotel for 10 months of 2020 as he felt safer staying put rather than flying with covid..

I thought it is legal wherever you establish residency.. ie me for my house in ohio. (or when I had an apartment in florida I filed my taxes out of florida .. I did physically stay there more than my ohio address since florida is 10 times more fun than boring gray-sky ohio)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Obviously school, employment other evidence of "usually" being physically resident may trip you up, but

unless you are a very high net worth individual, generally speaking you can choose your domicile state get your DL there and no one cares.

Owning property is not very relevant if you don't actually spend much time there.

Wealthy people pay specialized lawyers to get guidance on how to "get divorced" from high tax jurisdictions.

Be careful if you try to get state benefits without actually living there often/long enough, people do get prosecuted/sued for fraud.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mailing address, mailing addresses, where to get your mail