Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 84
How Crazy are we? (Or, Just bought my first bus...)

Hi All!

Well, We did it.

Just got back from the bank after wiring the funds for a 1995 40 foot Thomas Safe-T-Liner ER with the 3116 engine in a pusher configuration.

That's all I really know about it so far. It was on Gov Deals if anyone was interested... Got if for what I really hope was a decent price.

It was an activity bus, so I am hoping it is geared for the highway already.

We (we is my Girlfriend and my cat!) will be full timing in it, kinda as we live in it!

I have a 1985 29ft Class A that has serious issues.

Ill be pulling all the good stuff of of it to install in the Bus.

Just had to share our excitement!

KlingonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #2
Skoolie

Thought I added a pic...

This is from govdeals.
Attached Thumbnails
19243_39_17.png  
Old 12-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Right on! That's a nice looking bus at a good price...especially since they seem to be going up lately. It's always a good sign when the district, like Fontana did here, list several buses at the same time. That usually means it's a normal rotation timing sale...and sometimes those have very recent maintenance (since the buyers/sellers in equipment management don't usually communicate plans to the maintenance department)...I've seen damned new tires on a listed bus. We'll be watching and following along!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
A great bus, and you're way ahead with the Class A stuff on hand.
Congrats.

If you're not familiar with the 3116 get familiar with it. They're a good, reliable engine and will last a long time but they have some quirks when it comes to maintenance. The injectors and rack can be quite a pain.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
Skoolie

Thanks for the positive vibes!
I was thinking along the same lines about it being aged out. This bus or its sister had a memo tucked into the drivers seat area about getting its regular inspection in July.
We are definitely excited about the Bus. My Girlfriend has already named it BullSnake. Not 100% sure where that came from...
Heading to bed to dream about the bus, getting up super early to hit the road in the morning. Hopefully all goes well and we get back before dark!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks East Coast, I'm an old gasser (mostly GM electrical) mechanic. Got out of the business right as obd2 started hitting the market. Fingers crossed tray some of that experience helps me out with desiel engines.

I have heard about the fuel system being difficult. Guess I'll burn that bridge when I get to it!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlingonFiero View Post
Thanks East Coast, I'm an old gasser (mostly GM electrical) mechanic. Got out of the business right as obd2 started hitting the market. Fingers crossed tray some of that experience helps me out with desiel engines.

I have heard about the fuel system being difficult. Guess I'll burn that bridge when I get to it!

Lots of good info in there^
Old 12-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

From where are you traveling to Fontana? If you'll be coming past us on I-40 on the way back, let us know. We can offer you a nice spot to park for the night and help with any electrical/structural gremlins that might crop up on your way...
Old 12-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
From where are you traveling to Fontana? If you'll be coming past us on I-40 on the way back, let us know. We can offer you a nice spot to park for the night and help with any electrical/structural gremlins that might crop up on your way...
Well thanks for the offer!
We are currently near Yuma,AZ.
All my fingers and toes are crossed we don't have any serious hiccups and hope to be back in AZ by dusk.
Seriously, heading to sleep now!
Old 12-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlingonFiero View Post
We are currently near Yuma,AZ.

Ah, that should be an easy drive then...you'll barely get the engine warmed up! Keep us posted and safe travels! It's an exciting day for ya....
Old 12-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #11
Skoolie

Well, we made it to to Yuma!
Mostly in one piece too!

It was a great experience picking it up from the seller. Except they lost the keys for a couple of minutes! Lol
All fluids looked great. Started right up with no issues.

Drove it around the lot a couple of times to sort out the airbrake and acceleration quirks (relative to my gas powered motor home).

Then we hit the road!.
Drove great on the highway for most of the trip.

2100rpm at 55mph
2250rpm at 60mph
2400rpm at 65mph.

Cat 3116 and a mt643 transmission.

Best info I could get for now as the labels are very faded!
About 2 hours in I pulled up to a stop light and then when the light turned green, the bus just wouldnt go like it did before. Very very slow to accelerate. Once up to speed it would easily hold 55mph on the flats but would very quickly drop in speed on any kind of an incline. (I'll post this as a question in the appropriate forum - I'm hoping it's just a fuel filter issue)

One other thing...
Two things really, both about the speedometer.
1. Can the little red speed warning light be adjusted up? It comes on at 50mph. Scared me a wee bit at first.
2. At the 55mph marker there is a little hole in the face, there is a red faced dial? with some white lines on it. The little red dial with white lines rotates when the bus is running, whether it's moving or not.
No idea as to what it's for!

Thanks all!
I'll be starting our build thread as soon as we can.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it may have had a built in tachograph.. there was a thing some schools used back in the dfay which would write on a paper disc as the driver drove their route.. it recorded wither the bus speed or the engine RPMs.. it was an early "driver safety tracker" if you will.. they werre originally an add-on but at some point they were made as an option which was rarely ordered..

the 3116 is a great motor, like any diesel take care of it and it will last.. no worries of OBD2 as its a fully mechanical engine so you cna still stay away from computer tools , the MT643 is a beast of a transmission, most surely one of allison's best ever.

now that its hoijme definitely change its oil, and oil filters / fuel filters and then drive it around more to see if ther slow-issue goes away.. its not uncommon for a bus to sit a long time and the fuel in the tasnk to go bad.. so then you come along and sitr it up and the fuel filter does its joib in keeping the inkjectors clean but clogs up..

having that camper to part out is a great resource, esp if you just plan to junk it afterwords, you can save all kinds of stuff from it. from the toilet, sink, tanks if they are good, to even pulling and re-using the wiring harnesses and such too.. always seems to me to be a nice advantage when people have an RV to rob parts from.. some of that stuff is expensive.. ie the A/C, cooking range, 3 way frig, etc..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it may have had a built in tachograph.. there was a thing some schools used back in the dfay which would write on a paper disc as the driver drove their route.. it recorded wither the bus speed or the engine RPMs.. it was an early "driver safety tracker" if you will.. they werre originally an add-on but at some point they were made as an option which was rarely ordered..

the 3116 is a great motor, like any diesel take care of it and it will last.. no worries of OBD2 as its a fully mechanical engine so you cna still stay away from computer tools , the MT643 is a beast of a transmission, most surely one of allison's best ever.

now that its hoijme definitely change its oil, and oil filters / fuel filters and then drive it around more to see if ther slow-issue goes away.. its not uncommon for a bus to sit a long time and the fuel in the tasnk to go bad.. so then you come along and sitr it up and the fuel filter does its joib in keeping the inkjectors clean but clogs up..

having that camper to part out is a great resource, esp if you just plan to junk it afterwords, you can save all kinds of stuff from it. from the toilet, sink, tanks if they are good, to even pulling and re-using the wiring harnesses and such too.. always seems to me to be a nice advantage when people have an RV to rob parts from.. some of that stuff is expensive.. ie the A/C, cooking range, 3 way frig, etc..
-Christopher
Only thing about the 3116- you won't need computer tools, but if injector issues ever arise you'll need quite a few Cat specific tools and a set of knowledge not many people have these days. Finding a good Cat shop would be a great idea for any owner of a 3116. The mechanical injection works great but if an injector, injector cup, or any of that ever needs replacing its best left to a Cat mechanic.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #14
Skoolie

I'll swap out the fuel filter and review everything else on the bus that I can , before I post about the slow going...
In regards to the speedometer, that's it! It has the Tacograph option. I found a stack of graphpaper circles in the driver's overhead cabinet.
Thanks for the terminology to research it further.

Now for the sun to come up so I can get to work! Lol
Old 12-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7 300/800
Rated Cap: 31
Congrats!

Welcome to the Tribe!

We purchased out Cat C7 Saf-T-Liner this year, July .
Here's our bus build progress.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums1998.html
First thing I had Las Vegas Bus sales do, was check the Huie pump and the rockers, and change out all the fluids.
Then I installed a IFS kit after the Huei pump. Here's the link if your interested.
https://ifskit.com/the-ifs-kit
New Michelin tires and shocks.
It takes up our weekends that's for sure. But its allot of fun.
So other then the power train, were doing our build "on the cheap" so not gutting anything, just paint outside, inside, insulate [a bit], frame, solar, and call it a day.

Its still a two year project if you consider only working on weekends.
Enjoy!
Peter
WildThingTheBus
Peterjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
Skoolie

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting.
We just finished pulling and tearing apart the seats!
Next up, The Floor!
It's going well so far. Not going to do much after that t til we get new filters installed and verify the engine is in correct running order.
My tires are 3 years old and have most of the tread left with no cracking anywhere. Very happy about that!