Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Maybe it's that I'm not familiar with the term 'small beer'. Typical beer has an alcohol content of 5 to 6 %. Light beer is about 4.2%. I believe the stuff we could get as 18 year olds in Ohio was 3.2%. In PA we couldn't legally buy beer of any kind until 21.
I grew up in Ohio. I only remember beer in general being legal at 19 (in the mid-80s at least).

Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have never heard of syracuse ohio till now.. whats funny is I like have been through it or surely enough to have seen a sign for it (and didnt pay attention).. as ive gone down both 33 and 7 right by it..

perhaps because they lack a Coffee-shop.. and pmeroy has 2
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Small beer was...

... usually taxed less and was made with the 2nd and 3rd wash from the mash the regular beer was made from. It was the household usual as long as you had the money to not drink water. The regular beer (wasn't called regular, just as opposed to "small" beer) would be saved for occasions, sold to inns/travelers, or exported, or rendered to the the governemnt in lieu of cash tax money. I though it went entirely out of American law as being a thing no later than Prohibition, and mostly with the Revolution where it ever was in the law.

I take your posts to mean it was legal for younger people to drink in some states in the '50's still?
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I grew up in Ohio. I only remember beer in general being legal at 19 (in the mid-80s at least).

I remember my older brother turning 18 in like 1979 and being giddy because he could drink beer (3.2 beer)... then they later made the drinking age 19 for everything.. and then 21 after the feds threatened to take ohios highway funds away if the drinking age didnt become 21

I think in the mid 80s the age was 19 still.. cant remember the year it went to 21.. I do remember at age 16 or 17 going to high school parties where we carried out 2 LITER bottles of "sun country" wine coolers taking swiggs..
Old 01-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post
... usually taxed less and was made with the 2nd and 3rd wash from the mash the regular beer was made from. It was the household usual as long as you had the money to not drink water. The regular beer (wasn't called regular, just as opposed to "small" beer) would be saved for occasions, sold to inns/travelers, or exported, or rendered to the the governemnt in lieu of cash tax money. I though it went entirely out of American law as being a thing no later than Prohibition, and mostly with the Revolution where it ever was in the law.

I take your posts to mean it was legal for younger people to drink in some states in the '50's still?
Alchohol laws vary across all the states, and within states. Many jurisdictions have, and/or do, limit alcoholic beverages to certain percentages of alcohol content. Not necessarily age-related, either. In some places lower-alcohol variants are all anyone can get (or nothing at all... hence dry counties)

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:35 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post

Yes, what I'm talking about had more to do with US state laws than it did with beer. Ohio had a lower legal drinking age than PA but OH would only sell 3.2 beer to 18 year olds.

Also, I wasn't talking about the 1950s, I was talking about 50 (some) years ago when I was in HS. It was the late 60s.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:54 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have never heard of syracuse ohio till now.. whats funny is I like have been through it or surely enough to have seen a sign for it (and didnt pay attention).. as ive gone down both 33 and 7 right by it..

perhaps because they lack a Coffee-shop.. and pmeroy has 2
You may have been through it and just didn't realize it.

My aunt, who lived in Syracuse, was the nursing director for many years at a hospital in Pomeroy. The doctors were afraid of her, for good reason. She was a nurse in England during WWII. I can only imagine what she saw as the wounded were brought in from Europe.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Way it should be, nurses in general running the place, doctors serving their specific purposes with the senior nurses reading them the riot act when they step out of line.

Keep 'em humble!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
apparently there must be a lot of cave dwellers here.. seems first thing people do is tell others to delete all their windows..

doesnt that make for dark, depressing, drab, space?

Oh yes cave dwelling is nice

A bit more seriously, you have been in my bus does it seem too dark to you? I have about 1/3 the window that would have been in there.

Strictly from an insulation viewpoint windows are a huge loss, so removing windows that are not needed will help a lot.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Your bus is nice inside but too dark for me to spend more time than a visit in. I want to be surrounded by windows when I’m up and awake.. now in obvious places like bath or bedroom for sleep then I’d prob delete a window or 2.. I like to swivel on my stool and change the view.. the triple wide 5 foot tall casement in my home office is too small because it’s only one view… I suffer HUGELY from SAD… and artificial light doesn’t work
Old 01-18-2022, 05:33 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Your bus is nice inside but too dark for me to spend more time than a visit in. I want to be surrounded by windows when I’m up and awake.. now in obvious places like bath or bedroom for sleep then I’d prob delete a window or 2.. I like to swivel on my stool and change the view.. the triple wide 5 foot tall casement in my home office is too small because it’s only one view… I suffer HUGELY from SAD… and artificial light doesn’t work

I can understand that.

It was mentioned to me by a friend how did I get married, as I spent too much time in the basement. So must be a bit adapted to the dark.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #32
Bus Geek

That said I think portable methods of insulating are fantastic. So those ice cold nights where windows are useless you can cover them up and insulate from cold or hot are the way to go.. whether it’s snap in panels or something you unroll across or down windows. I see great value in that.. or for when gone.. lol f I’m not in the bus I don’t care how much light is there so blocking windows to reduce fuel usage when gone is very useful.. I just don’t like permanent changes like skinning lol removal
Old 01-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
alright you two?
its probably me from growing up on a huge farm and having to look after the animals in whatever weather and growing up in the scouts much less being the corps and raising several scouts since then?
a glorified RV is creature comfort. a camper trailer is creature comfort?
and i just started a complaint about exactly what i am doing?
thins go south i have my pack and poncho liner and HAM skoolie my brother in law (army mp) called it a woobie?
what in the world is that sir?
regardless of what my vehicle condition?
my family has there own gear and knows how.
the bus is just a badass gloried gp tent
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Quote:
I suffer HUGELY from SAD… and artificial light doesn’t work

Which artificial light? Those blue lamps and daylight temp white lamps do in fact hit the pituitary the same way as sunlight.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
… I suffer HUGELY from SAD… and artificial light doesn’t work
I just hate the cold and bad weather plus, everything I like to do requires warm weather. This better be the last winter I'm stuck in the northeast. If the bus isn't road ready next November I'll likely head south on a bike or in my Expedition towing my motorcycle and loaded with camping gear -- not ideal.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I have a similar problem in my house. Winter comes, the heat runs continuously. Humidity drops below 50%. The furniture starts snap crackle popping and I get nose bleeds and itch.

But I'm not in a bus so I use a humidifier.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Dr Berg is a great doctor. He has helped me tremendously
Bigmikeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:49 PM   #38
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
As far as moisture levels are concerned, Cadillac Kid has it right. Insulation is the key. I have a solid 3 inches of closed cell foam on walls and ceiling, 1 inch on floor. No condensation anywhere but the windows. I just wipe them, then put the rag outside to dry. No mold.

Ah, beautiful, exotic Negley, Ohio. My sister lived there many years before she passed away. Not a whole lot going on there.

I grew up in Ohio, and remember the 3.2% beer for 18-21 year olds, and EVERYONE on Sunday. Been in the Pacific Northwest for the last 37 years. Definitely no overly dry air here.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote