Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #1

How old is too old?

Hello, I'm wondering how old is too old for starting a bus conversion?

Looking into a 1990 International 3800, 7.6l turbo diesel inline 6 with allison at545 4 speed transmission and 299,000 miles. Is this a good base?

#LCIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Age notwithstanding, that's probably the least desirable transmission option and the mileage alone practically ensures an engine overhaul is sooner than later in your future. Even if it is free it'll cost you money just to get it roadworthy to speak nothing of any potential rust mitigation and your build plans. But if that's the bus you have your heart set on, a project of passion knows no budget!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Are you talking bus age or human age? Ha!

There are some that have converted buses from easily into the 1950s. So, it's doable.

I think you have to consider:
$ - How much do you have for what you want
Time - How much do you have for what you want
Skills - How much do you have for what you want
Tools - How many do you have (and know how to use) for what you want
Friends & Family with any of the above - How many do you have for what you want, and they are willing and interested.

An excess of any one or a couple of the above can make up for less in other areas.

Being willing to research, ask questions and learn goes a long way in making up for what you don't have.

Age of a bus is less important than its current condition. If you have someone that's owned it for a while, has maintained it well, has maintenance records, can tell you about the bus, it's quirks and such, you might just find a diamond in the ruff.

Unfortunately, the above is more the exception than the rule.

Having a "plan" that you are willing to be flexible with also matters because nothing goes as we plan (at least not in my conversion).

If you have others within visiting distance to see their conversions, hear their experiences and challenges, it will help you a lot.

I'm at the point in my conversion that I fell that if I started a new conversion, I'd actually know what I was doing and could do it 3x faster and at least 1.5x better (being realistic with myself).

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by #LCIM View Post
Hello, I'm wondering how old is too old for starting a bus conversion?

Looking into a 1990 International 3800, 7.6l turbo diesel inline 6 with allison at545 4 speed transmission and 299,000 miles. Is this a good base?
From what I've gathered, if the bus is more than about twenty years old with mileage over 200K has negative scrap value (you have to pay someone to haul it away). Expect stranding at inconvenient times; random, expensive issues; difficult-to-find parts; intermittent problems that keep you up at night worrying.

Plus or minus your mechanical skills and depth of pocketbook.

You'll dump five grand into a basic conversion. Even if you get the bus for free, you might need to put five grand into it just to make it driveable (not necessarily roadworthy, by the way). So ten grand for your first boondocking weekend.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site.

The only limit to starting a conversion on any year bus is how much is in your bank account, or credit limit from a lending institution.

Doing a conversion on that year, or any year bus, is going to cost you money. Money that you may or may not have planned for.

I'd still rather look at converting that year bus vs a 2004>up, that is choked up in EPA mandated equipment that has been known to be trouble dealing with.

Post up pics of the bus, as well as undercarriage pics, to get better feedback on this particular unit's viability for conversion...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
How old is too old? well it is much newer then mine. Condition matters much more then age. Transmission is not great but many have it. Good choice of engine.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote