Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How to check out remote bus

I am considering a bus that is about 700 miles away and I may need to fly down to get it. How would I go about getting it checked out? Do people hire out of state mechanics to go inspect a bus they are considering?

t-chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
One way might be to fill out your profile, tell us where the bus is located, and ask if anyone is nearby who can recommend a local mechanic, or even take a gander. If the bus is being sold by a company you can also ask here to see if anyone has prior experience. I've seen some folks post a link to the ad and ask others to weigh in.

I also recommend you post the details of the bus, and do some searching on this site for recommended drive trains, the pros and cons of different bus types and their common ailments, so you have an idea of what to focus on. There are also posts and threads here on what to look for (checklist-like), so if you do decide to hire a local mechanic to inspect you can guide them on what you need to know. Those are just a search click away.

What is your background? In other words, are you starting from little or no knowledge about buses? The risks go up with a remote sale.

Finally, is the bus partially or fully converted already?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm located in KY and the bus in at abcbussales near Mobile AL.
It is an uncommon 30' flat nose listed on facebook https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment
"2006 Thomas 30Ft bus, 32 Passenger, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 3000 series Allison trans. 130,000 miles."

It checks all my boxes, except I am not sure how much to worry about an early version of 6.7 with the emissions controls. It is also on the pricey side.

I drove school buses for a year in a past life and liked the flat nose, kinda reminded me of a giant VW bus.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
^^^ Everything Rucker said is right on point. We'll watch for your added info and someone here will be able to help guide you, whether it's general drivetrain thoughts or specific mechanic recommendations based on location. That fact that you asked in the first place is a good indication that you're approaching this with the right attitude.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Here's some more info. I am in Kentucky and the bus is near Mobile, AL. The bus I am considering is on facebook by abcbussales.com
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

"2006 Thomas 30Ft bus, 32 Passenger, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 3000 series Allison trans. 130,000 miles."

It seems on the pricey side at $8,800 but it checks most of my boxes.
I am a little concerned about the engine being the first year of the Cummins with emmissions.

In a former life, I spent a year driving busses for a large school system with great training. I liked the tranist/flat nose styles. Kinda reminded me of driving a giant VW bus.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
What they said. May have someone on the board that could go look at it for as little as fuel money,most all of us are bus geeks. There is also inspection services online but usually run $2-300. But as said fill in info and bus location and hopefully someone can help ya out.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-chuck View Post
Here's some more info. I am in Kentucky and the bus is near Mobile, AL. The bus I am considering is on facebook by abcbussales.com
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

It seems on the pricey side at $8,800 but it checks most of my boxes.
I am a little concerned about the engine being the first year of the Cummins with emmissions.

In a former life, I spent a year driving busses for a large school system with great training. I liked the tranist/flat nose styles. Kinda reminded me of driving a giant VW bus.
8k is a bit pricey. Offer 3500 and let them haggle with you a bit. I personally wouldn't pay more than 4200. As far as getting it checked out, Take a friend a hand full of tools and drive down. Be ready to buy if it checks out. If not, you got a great road trip.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:32 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I think I responded to this before, but a 2006 will not have a 6.7 Cummins in it. Cummins didn't switch the 5.9 to 6.7 until late 2007 and then the Dodge trucks got it first, bus makers aren't going to show up with a 6.7 until their 2008 model years. So something about their listing doesn't add up, it's either a 2006 with a 5.9 or a 2008 with a 6.7, I would call them and make them verify one or the other. The 5.9 doesn't have any emissions crap on it, the 6.7 is fully loaded.
1dmpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
6.7b came out first in the freightliner before the dodge if I remember right.. obviously dodge was working on it but i remember seeing the "new style" freightliner truck chassis with it around that time.. similar time as thomas released the first Gen C2 bus as well..actually i remember C2's as early as 05.. its possible thomas put it in their FE busses then as well since those were essentially freightliner chassis.. not that id want it being first year introduction
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I had one of the members here check out a bus for me once and I'm glad he did. There's usually someone who is either local to it or will go to it for gas and lodging. In my opinion it's well worth it
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
see if you can get the VIN. Then you can have that decoded which will help identify important stuff like what engine is in it.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote