Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

How to choose a bus?

Okay I'm the new guy here from Indiana just got to thinking about traveling here lately and have the thought in my head that a bus converted to a camper duty would be perfect.

What I'm wondering is what is considered to be the favorite bus/power combo I know there are opinions on who makes the best like the Ford and Chevy guys but in all seriousness I am going to drive my future bus to Utah and back pulling my Full Size Bronco there and back so I'm roast baste me with the knowledge of you experience good or bad I would like to buy a good bus and would like to know what to look for Thank you In advance for your comments.

huggyb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: How to choose a bus?

Quote:
Nothing out there is truly bad.
OK, you need to try an early Saf-T-Liner with a 504 or a 555 Cummins on for size! Wait, a triple-nickel Cummins needs a .

Seriously: for mountains and towing, I'd go DT466, Cummins 8.3, Cat 3126, or Ford/New Holland 7.8 litre. Not so much for the engine, but because gassers and the smaller diesels tend to have the light-duty AT545 transmission behind them. The larger engines will have the much-stronger lockup MT643 Allison or, on newer buses, the computer-controlled MD3060. Some AmTran pushers have an MD3060 behind an International T444E...good driveline, but mountains with a 5000+lb Bronco on the hitch might be pushing it for the hillclimbing power.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

Re: How to choose a bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Welcome! All you're going to get in the way of replies is someones personal opinion. Buy a bus, buy the best bus you can afford, have fun, learn along the way.

Smitty

Oh...where 'bouts in this armpit of a state you live?
Thanks I live in the middle of the armpit where the majority of the stink is.

I am going to look at a Thomas flat nose 72 pass. with a 5.9l Cummins TD with an Allison auto I think flat nose may be a better choice.
huggyb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote