Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 36pp
Engine: 7.3 L diesel
How to get it home

Ok, I've searched the through the forums and couldn't find an answer on here of how to get a bus home you just purchased . ( I'm sure irs buried somewhere in a post).

Is there temporary broad spectrum insurance,you can pick up for a few days while you drive home ? I'm also not opposed to just going slow taking it easy and hoping to fly under the radar.

I would love to hear how everyone got there bus home !

Thanks so much. Mike

mikerob643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Funny enough you are pretty invisible in a school bus as long as your not doing anything foolish.

In my case I drove it home from the dealer on a temp tag, or you can go to your DMV with bill of sale etc and get a temp tag. I did not worry about insurance then, something easy to explain if you get stopped.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Mike,

Many insurance policies include temporary coverage for new purchases. When I bought my buses I emailed my agent the vin# of the bus and confirmed that the coverage applied. Check with your insurance company. You may have similar coverage.

While you may be able to get away with making the trip with no insurance I certainly would recommend against it. The potential $$$ involved in a simple traffic accident can be a huge financial setback.

Good luck.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Mike,

Many insurance policies include temporary coverage for new purchases. When I bought my buses I emailed my agent the vin# of the bus and confirmed that the coverage applied. Check with your insurance company. You may have similar coverage.

While you may be able to get away with making the trip with no insurance I certainly would recommend against it. The potential $$$ involved in a simple traffic accident can be a huge financial setback.
Ditto - Mine wasn't automatically covered under my auto policy since I had no other commercial vehicles insured. However, a "Commercial for personal use" liability policy was really reasonable. I wouldn't attempt to drive it without at least getting liability insurance.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Vista 36pp
Engine: 7.3 L diesel
Awesome thanks for all the info guys ! I have progressive so ill contact my agent and see if I automatically have coverage or not.
mikerob643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Progressive covers 30 days, but if the bus needs a commercial policy I'm not sure if they cover it when you only have a regular policy. I didn't ask, I took the risk and drove home knowing progressive will cover new purchases (Never called my insurance though), with no plate or non commercial class b. Yellow buses are invisible.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
When I bought my beastie in 2015, I drove it from Kankakee to Billings, MT, a distance of 1370 miles, just on the drive-off tag without insurance. School buses are invisible.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, drive home, insurance, registrastio