Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2023, 09:49 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
How to keep a bus from getting stuck on an ice patch

The ground where I park my bus is a slight depression where rain water collects. I live in Canada, and last night the water froze. I have a 35 foot bus with four rear drive tires - big 40 inch ones. I would not have imagined getting stuck, but I had to rock the bus back and forth for 15 minutes to clear the frozen patch. The tires just spun on the ice. The attached photo shows the slight troughs the tires sat in. I aspire to do winter camping when the bus is built out, so it's discouraging to see how easily it can get stuck.

Do you have any suggestions to avoid this problem? For example scraps of rug to give the tires something to grab onto? (I tried cardboard but it was just thrown backward.) Or a granular de-icer I can put in front and behind the tires? Any suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Ice patch.jpg  

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
one thing you dont want to do is rock the bus for 15 minutes if you value the allison transmission.. rocking a vehicle.. shifting to D then R then D etc where you hit it kind of hard.. spin the tires, stop then go reverse etc is hard on the trans.. builds a lot of heat in the fluid fast..

if you get stuck.. give it a few rocks then rest a minute.. few rocks then rest a minute (In neutral) so the trans fluid can circulate through the cooler..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi David, you might want to look at the Elston traction sanders. I'm sure they're pricey new, but I've seen them on lots of buses down here and some of the owners have removed them and pitched them...a shame, actually. They won't help much in deep snow, but for icy roads they seem to work well. I should note, they'll help when you're moving. But in your situation you'd probably need to toss some grit under the tires. Elston recommends several things, coal slag being pretty cheap and a good option.

Here's their site, with some videos too.

https://elstonmfg.com/traction-sanders
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Park elsewhere if you can, if you can't, then install proper drainage so that water and therefore ice, doesn't accumulate.

A bus will get stuck on ice just as easily as the next vehicle. In all honesty no vehicle is really suitable on ice. If ice is something you frequently drive on, there are a host of things you can do, like tire chains and spot sanders. They also make tires that are designed around snow and ice with larger lugs and more siping.

But none of those will free you from tires that are iced in like you have, so park elsewhere or fix the drainage. If you can't afford to fix the drainage then lay down #2 or #3 gravel to a suitable thickness so as to raise the pad you park on. It's not a permanent solution, as the rock will embed and wash away, but it should last several years.

I don't know of too many guys that do winter camping in below freezing temps. I assume they avoid parking in difficult spots or places that would be hard to access and leave. If you're camping frequently in the winter, they make differential locks, and some companies even do 4x4 conversions. Occasionally you'll find districts auctioning those buses, usually in the mountain western states of the USA. They usually fetch a premium though.

Regardless, you really don't want to park something long term in standing water. Especially if it's prone to freezing and thawing frequently. It's just not good for the bus.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #5
Almost There

Thanks for all these helpful suggestions. I don't own (or even pay rent for) the place where I park the bus. So i can't do much to change the terrain. I have since learned about recovery traction boards. Anyone have experience with them?
Old 02-01-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by David from Ontario View Post
The ground where I park my bus is a slight depression where rain water collects. I live in Canada, and last night the water froze. I have a 35 foot bus with four rear drive tires - big 40 inch ones. I would not have imagined getting stuck, but I had to rock the bus back and forth for 15 minutes to clear the frozen patch. The tires just spun on the ice. The attached photo shows the slight troughs the tires sat in. I aspire to do winter camping when the bus is built out, so it's discouraging to see how easily it can get stuck.

Do you have any suggestions to avoid this problem? For example scraps of rug to give the tires something to grab onto? (I tried cardboard but it was just thrown backward.) Or a granular de-icer I can put in front and behind the tires? Any suggestions are welcome.
Cut some planks of lumber 8-10 inches wide and park the bus tires on the wood!

Problem solved !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
+1 for Ewo1's suggestion. Also, if you have lead time, simply use salt or ice melt but it needs time to work and if you want to go now it won't do any good is an instant solution. If you cannot modify the terrain at least build up the area so you aren't trying to climb up out of tire ruts. It doesn't take much grade at all to be stuck and many of the remedies only make problems worse.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Gallon jugs of sand is what i use
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #9
Almost There

I think I'll be following the wood planks and ice melt suggestions. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
++ for sand and planks. Our driveway has been an ice sheet for 2 months. Driving and walking are a challenge. Spread some sand or gravel before you pull out and that should get you rolling. Planks are a great idea, until you try to get onto them from the ice, or mud, or wet grass...
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice, slippery, snow, stuck, tires