Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Chevrolet Mid Bus
Chassis: G 31
Engine: V8
Rated Cap: 23
How to make photos right side up

If you take photos with your phone and they are always sideways this is one way to make them right side up. You will need to email them to yourself and have access to a computer. There may be other ways, this is just one I stumbled across. I use Samsung and windows, it may work a little different on another application
I am going to explain it step by step (the way I need things explained to me)

1. Email photos to yourself. (press on a photo on your phone, on the bottom of the screen several icons will appear. choose the icon that looks like a sideways V with circles on the ends. Several icons will appear, press EMAIL and email it to yourself.

2. Open your email and click on the photo attachment. Then click download. When it pops up in the bottom left of your screen click the upside down V and click OPEN. This will open it into a photo editing app.

3. Click on Edit & Create. Options will come down, click on edit. Another set of options will come down, click on Aspect Ratio. Click on 3:2. It will shave off the edges. click SAVE.

4. Right click on the new image. When options appear, click SAVE AS. Make sure you name it something obvious and put it in a folder you will remember. I just put mine in downloads. It should now be ready for your album. Click the X in the way top right corner to remove screen.

It seems tedious at first, but after you do 2 or 3 it goes fast. I hope this works for you. Barbara

The bus stops here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Or...
You can go to the Gallery/Camera/Photos in your fon,
Tap, "Transform,"
And select, "Rotate..."
My $0.02.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Smaller resolution pics will show the correct way. I upload mine to Facebook from my phone and then download them to my PC to post on here.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Or...
You can go to the Gallery/Camera/Photos in your fon,
Tap, "Transform,"
And select, "Rotate..."
My $0.02.
They are right side up on my phone and then sideways when I put them in. Do you rotate them when they are right side up?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Smaller resolution pics will show the correct way. I upload mine to Facebook from my phone and then download them to my PC to post on here.
I might try this. It sounds easy enough.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I've never needed to.
Depending on the subject or shooting constraints, sometimes vertical format is called for, so I just roll 'em 90° in the fon, before posting.
It may depend on your fon's OS.
Seems to works well on Android. For me, anyhoo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The bus stops here View Post
They are right side up on my phone and then sideways when I put them in. Do you rotate them when they are right side up?
Could be. If the file size is too large, it might spoof the server. Try dialing down the data size before taking the snap.
Large images can be re-sized after the fact, it's just a lot easier to set the parameters beforehand, especially if the image isn't something for your archives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
An easy way to fix rotation problems is to open the JPEGs in a photo editor and save them in the PNG format, then upload the PNGs to skoolie.net.

The rotation problems only happen with JPEGs because that format includes an orientation property. Smartphones effectively react to orientation changes twice, by swapping the height and width of the picture and by setting this orientation property in the saved file to portrait or landscape. The web browser just sees the orientation property and in one of the modes (portrait or landscape, I forget which) rotates the image when it shouldn't be (since the rotation has already been taken into account by the swapping of height and width).

There are a variety of ways to fix this on the server side (and maybe it has been fixed and I'm not seeing how to do it when editing posts). Is it possible to volunteer on this site? I'm a long-time programmer with lots of web development experience.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:44 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing these steps here. I used to send pictures to myself on Facebook or Instagram, and didn't even know that the quality is suffering so much! I've got to print some of my wedding pictures and get them to a studio with Picture Framing Sydney. So thanks to you, I will know that sending pictures via email is safer for the quality! Also, can I share only several pictures from my Google Drive? I don't want to give access to all my pictures, but only to a few. If yes, please let me know how! Thanks!
gormaljiep is offline   Reply With Quote