Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #1

How to reduce noise of window rattling while driving?

Hey Everyone,

My windows rattle quite a bit while I am driving the bus. I have an oversized window in the back of the bus that is the worse. I guess it is 18" to 24" wide? I believe the actual pane of glass is rattling in the metal frame of the window. When I put pressure on the window with my hand, the rattle goes away. This has convinced me I need to find a way to reduce the noise between the glass and the metal frame holding the glass.

Any ideas on how to reduce window rattle between the pane of glass and the metal window frame? Shims? Rubber? Silicone? There is little space to shim.

My bus is a 2009 - 16 seater GMC / Thomas bus. The windows are a style that has tabs holding the entire window piece in place. I attached the best picture I have on me.
Attached Thumbnails
20201204_143700 (1).jpg   20201216_171206 (1).jpg  

BenzElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
I would check to see if your glazing spline has shrunk back a bit.
Definitely need close ups of where the glass meets the metal if the spline looks ok.
Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brand View Post
I would check to see if your glazing spline has shrunk back a bit.
Definitely need close ups of where the glass meets the metal if the spline looks ok.

Thanks for the help!

Ok I got home from work and was able to take some pictures. I did not know that was called glazing. Yeah, I can push the center of the window and see the glazing move with it. This is where most of my noise is coming from. I would guess I would want to shove something up there to reduce the noise? Not a lot of space going on. I am unsure how to break the window down to just the pane.
Attached Thumbnails
20220221_125816.jpg   20220221_125641.jpg  
BenzElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
It's hard to tell from the pics if it's glazing spline or booted glass.
If it's spline, (only on one side of glass) you should be able to pull it out and leave the glass in place.
Only pull out one piece at a time and replace with new as you go.
If it's booted (meaning it's one solid rubber that wraps around the glass on both sides.
Booted means you have to pull the window out then separate the frame in the corners.

Lowe's, Home Depot and Amazon all sell glazing spline. It's cheap and cuts with scissors.
If it's booted then I would contact the bus manufacturer for new window glass boots.

Be sure to take the glazing spline (if it's spline) to the store with you so you can get some with the same profile.
To reinstall spline, just spray that edge of the glass with window cleaner and push it in.
Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote