Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I might have found a bus

I look everyday for new auctions on school busses and I finally just found one being the type of body i want (flat faced/ fe) I want to email them asking things about the bus because the only info listed is that its in fair condition, it runs and its a 6.9 diesel engine. Its a 1990 blue bird with 180,000 miles. I know I should be asking about the condition of the tires and the type of transmission? What else do i need to ask for? The starting bid is $500 and there are no current bids, id really like to have this bus!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

A 1990 Blue Bird FE would not have a 6.9L engine. In 1990 the only 6.9L medium duty engine available in school buses would have been the IHC 6.9L which was the predecessor to the 7.3L/T444 V-8 diesel.

BB did make some buses with gas engines but the only ones offered in 1990 would have been either the 5.7L or 7.4L GM V-8's.

The most probable engine would have been a Cummins 5.9L/6BT 12-valve I-6 engine. Most had HP ratings in the 160-190 HP range.

The most probably transmission behind a 5.9L in 1990 would have been the AT540.

If the bus is in good condition with no rust top auction pricing would be in the $1.75K to $2.75K range. At $3K is starts to not be a bargain.

If the bus has the 210-250 HP engine with the MT640 transmission I would not go over $4K since that is approaching retail pricing.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I understand these things usually go for a lot more but its an auction, its just so happens I found it with 5 days left and no bids yet. Im willing to pay more for it obviously busses are expensive lol. But thank you for the info.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
I understand these things usually go for a lot more but its an auction, its just so happens I found it with 5 days left and no bids yet. Im willing to pay more for it obviously busses are expensive lol. But thank you for the info.

lol ... buses are surprisingly cheap.

I guess when people consider how much they cost new, or even at an age where schools can put them back into service, it allows dealers to make a lot of money.

I have a bus that probably cost circa $130k new, but now isn't worth much more than a decent second-hand Taurus.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

Do yourself a favor if you plan on bidding, start by signing up for an account at the auction site leave any requested deposit and then DO NOT BID on it until 1 minute before the auction ends. Put in the absolute most you are willing to pay and it will show your bid at the next bid increment, not your high bid.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Do yourself a favor if you plan on bidding, start by signing up for an account at the auction site leave any requested deposit and then DO NOT BID on it until 1 minute before the auction ends. Put in the absolute most you are willing to pay and it will show your bid at the next bid increment, not your high bid.
Yes thank you! I already signed up for the site, i didnt know i could put the deposit without bidding but i will do that

Old 03-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yes thank you! I already signed up for the site, I didnt know i could put the deposit without bidding but i will do that

The one I bid on asked for a 25% of my max bid for deposit. I thought that was steep but was surprised that they only hit me for a $50 deposit. The auction house takes the deposit and returns it to you 5-10 after you pay in full. I'm not sure if your bid goes in when you deposit or not. I put in a bid of $1600 just to see, even though my max bid was over $3K. You might be able to put in a deposit without bidding at the same time. What auction venue is it?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The one I bid on asked for a 25% of my max bid for deposit. I thought that was steep but was surprised that they only hit me for a $50 deposit. The auction house takes the deposit and returns it to you 5-10 after you pay in full. I'm not sure if your bid goes in when you deposit or not. I put in a bid of $1600 just to see, even though my max bid was over $3K. You might be able to put in a deposit without bidding at the same time. What auction venue is it?
Publicsurplus.com

Old 03-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
I look everyday for new auctions on school busses and I finally just found one being the type of body i want (flat faced/ fe) I want to email them asking things about the bus because the only info listed is that its in fair condition, it runs and its a 6.9 diesel engine. Its a 1990 blue bird with 180,000 miles. I know I should be asking about the condition of the tires and the type of transmission? What else do i need to ask for? The starting bid is $500 and there are no current bids, id really like to have this bus!

I saw a similar bus today...I think purple wave...not sure...no tranny

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Too many red flags on that bus to suit me. The low bid means nothing at this point. I wouldn't go more than $2K, if that.